SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member
YourMainParadox is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default rear seat bolt issue

the farthest back and farthest passenger side bolt on the rear seat will only screw in 75% of the way for some reason. I looked and the threads are fine on the bolt and the look ok from what I can see of the hole but it will only go 75% of the way in then it just gets stuck. I can't see any cross threaded portions of it or anything in the threads either... anyone have anything like this happen to them? Also can this be a safety issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YourMainParadox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YourMainParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: rear seat bolt issue

I assume vehicle engineers use just enough hardware to meet minimum requirements so I try to get all hardware's installed and tight.

Just a few random thoughts / questions:

Do you think the screw was not fully threaded from day one?

Can you use mirror and light to check hole for obstruction?

Can you back out one of the other screws to verify length?

Does the hole go through the floor (if yes...use tap to "chase" threads)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:32 AM   #3
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

all of them are the same length and they all go completly out the bottom of the car. Of what I can see the threads look good.. but i can't see much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #4
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

I ran into this same problem, and to be honest, I think it's in the same location you're describing. I had to take my rear seat out for my audio install, and there was one bolt that required a breaker bar and a pipe on the end of it to come out.

Each quarter turn required all the force I could muster; My arms BURNED.

Just like yours, the bolt looked perfect. I was (and still am) dumbfounded. If you keep turning it with a breaker bar or similar tool, you should be able to get it in all the way.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I wonder if this screw location is near the exhaust system?

If so, could the nut-plate and screw be exposed to a lot of heat on sustained basis?

If heat could be possible cause -- I'd use same anti-seize compound created for spark-plug threads to ease installation (and simplify future removal).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

nothing is hot near it and I tried using a hammer but it does not work. I might borrow a breaker bar from my neighbor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout View Post
I ran into this same problem, and to be honest, I think it's in the same location you're describing. I had to take my rear seat out for my audio install, and there was one bolt that required a breaker bar and a pipe on the end of it to come out.

Each quarter turn required all the force I could muster; My arms BURNED.

Just like yours, the bolt looked perfect. I was (and still am) dumbfounded. If you keep turning it with a breaker bar or similar tool, you should be able to get it in all the way.
I only have a small breaker bar.... so I never got it past 75% of the way in... is there anything bad about leaving it 75% of the way screwed in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Is there a space between the bolt (screw) head and item you're trying to bolt down? Sounds like there could be ... and if so ... it could lead to the bolt shearing if you collide with something.

There must be a reason for the bolt to not go all the way in -- but it you can't overcome -- you could back the bolt out and use sufficient number of washers to make sure there's no "play" between bolt and seat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Paradox ... look at attached extract ... is the bolt in question the one on far right of illustration?

If so, I'll see if I have a problem with same bolt on my 05 Vue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rear.pdf (19.7 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:57 PM   #10
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

I didn't have any problem when I took those bolts out and replaced them. However, I used my 750ft/lb impact wrench (on a lower setting) when I replaced them. My wedding ring slid into the crevice under the seat when I was putting one of the car seats in. Took me a good 30-45 minutes to get it back. Hehe....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

yea it is the farthest over passenger side bolt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Paradox ... I checked the seat bolt on my Vue this PM by using a 3/8" drive ratchet, six inch extension and 19 MM socket. I expected more of a challenge but the silly thing was little more than finger tight ... I turned it 1/4 turn with the ratchet and then removed by twirling the extension with finger power.

Needless to say I could install to full depth using hand power .. I put a bit of torque on with the ratchet.

I've got no idea why you're having such difficulty with yours.

Ritz ... I envy you having the 750 ft/lb impact wrench. Sounds like one of those Binford 5000 tools Tim "The Toolman" Taylor talked about on the old TV program.

My missus bought me a 400 ft/lb (variable down to 100 ft/lb) for Christmas a few years back ... I used wrong setting and broke a wheel stud while rotating tires on her Jeep Cherokee. I'm back to my $27.95 100 ft/lb Coleman wrench.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #13
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

i just left it as is 75% no clue why it is like that... I can see the bolt stick out under the car and nothing is stopping it <.<

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
LastL4Banger
LastL4Banger is on a distinguished road

2004 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2005 VUE 2.2L

I hate to ask but what is the bolt used in two bolts in the front of the rear seat. on my 2003, the two bolts in the front of the rear seat look like torx heads. the PDF of the rear seat removal shows a normal bolt but it aint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LastL4Banger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LastL4Banger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LastL4Banger is offline   Reply With Quote