SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
jkozun
jkozun is on a distinguished road

Default Is Saturnparts.net for real?

What is everyone's experience with Saturnparts.net and Saturnparts.com? I am in need of the timing chain kit for a 2000 SC2. My local Saturn dealer quoted me $608.23 for the kit (which seems a little pricy to me). Saturnparts.net has the same kit listed for $251 plus shipping. Are they really OEM parts or could they possibly be offshore? In my experience if something is less than half the price there's probably a reason. For parts this important I want to make sure I get the real thing.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jkozun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jkozun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jkozun is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Is Saturnparts.net for real?

They an actual real Saturn dealership from what I have heard on here. I have not bought anything from there myself, but others on here have.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozun View Post
What is everyone's experience with Saturnparts.net and Saturnparts.com? I am in need of the timing chain kit for a 2000 SC2. My local Saturn dealer quoted me $608.23 for the kit (which seems a little pricy to me). Saturnparts.net has the same kit listed for $251 plus shipping. Are they really OEM parts or could they possibly be offshore? In my experience if something is less than half the price there's probably a reason. For parts this important I want to make sure I get the real thing.
Thanks
I've seen quite a few "Expert"(as in very smart) members here either use them or suggest them.....and you can never (in my experience) base dealer prices as any sort of reality towards prices anywhere else......you should be good with the kid from either site unless someone around here suggests otherwise.

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
CrewCab
Advanced Member
CrewCab will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE
1996 SL2

I think that is Saturn of Reading (PA)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrewCab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrewCab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrewCab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

You might want to call or email them and make sure that is the latest price. I ordered a precat from SaturnParts.com last year since they were less than half of what the local dealer wanted. I received a phone call from them explaining that Saturn had recently doubled the price and they had not updated the website yet.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
AJT_Leo
AJT_Leo is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

You may also want to check out getsaturnparts.com. That is another dealer website and of the things I've looked at on there, the site is slightly cheaper than the other two sites.

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJT_Leo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJT_Leo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJT_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Saturnparts.net is Saturn of Colma California. I get all my OEM parts from them. And thats about what I normally pay for a timing chain kit from them. And since I also live in the S.F. Bay Area, I usually get my parts within 24 hours.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

I used this site last, it was the cheapest.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...74&catalogid=0

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I believe saturn of Paramus NJ runs an online site as well.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, look them up in the phone book, call the parts dept, and ask if they have an internet dept.

$600 is insanely high for a timing kit, don't bite. Probably should post the name of this cruel chiseler.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino View Post
$600 is insanely high for a timing kit, don't bite. Probably should post the name of this cruel chiseler.
I'm willing to bet the OP is Canadian and that's what the Saturn of (anywhere in Canada) told him, becuase that's what they are at Saturn of Windsor, retail. I get employee prices and it's still cheaper for me to drive to Saturn of Troy in Michigan for some stuff.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Can someone please explain to me why parts and service at the dealer is always
overpriced, i dont get it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #12
jkozun
jkozun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
I'm willing to bet the OP is Canadian and that's what the Saturn of (anywhere in Canada) told him, becuase that's what they are at Saturn of Windsor, retail. I get employee prices and it's still cheaper for me to drive to Saturn of Troy in Michigan for some stuff.
You are indeed correct. The $608 was from Saturn of Pointe West in Winnipeg, Manitoba. What's with that?? Anyone know why the price difference is so vast? I checked out www.getsaturnparts.com as suggested on here and I can buy all the parts from the kit individually for $148 USD total.

They can't even blame the Canadian dollar. Last time I checked it was worth a buck U.S. I don't mind paying a little more to get parts locally but 4 times the price??

I was wary that if the price was that much lower they couldn't possibly be real OEM parts. Seems that the Canadian pricing is just out to lunch.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jkozun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jkozun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jkozun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 10:50 PM   #13
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozun View Post
You are indeed correct. The $608 was from Saturn of Pointe West in Winnipeg, Manitoba. What's with that?? Anyone know why the price difference is so vast? I checked out www.getsaturnparts.com as suggested on here and I can buy all the parts from the kit individually for $148 USD total.

They can't even blame the Canadian dollar. Last time I checked it was worth a buck U.S. I don't mind paying a little more to get parts locally but 4 times the price??

I was wary that if the price was that much lower they couldn't possibly be real OEM parts. Seems that the Canadian pricing is just out to lunch.

Thanks!
That's what I thought. Ya, don't be wary of the price, that's what all 'Muricans pay for parts down there. I'm lucky I live so close, so for big items like that I cross the border (pay $4 each way and hope they let me in) and drive 15 minutes up I-75 to exit 69, Big Beaver Rd (hehe) and the Troy motor mall is only a few turns away. It's defiantely the nearly $400 difference in price.

Last edited by Uzzy; 10-14-2007 at 10:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 10-15-2007, 12:32 AM   #14
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Can someone please explain to me why parts and service at the dealer is always
overpriced, i dont get it.
Overhead cost and profit. Without profit, the company dealership wouldn't exist.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
Titanium48
Titanium48 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
That's what I thought. Ya, don't be wary of the price, that's what all 'Muricans pay for parts down there. I'm lucky I live so close, so for big items like that I cross the border (pay $4 each way and hope they let me in) and drive 15 minutes up I-75 to exit 69, Big Beaver Rd (hehe) and the Troy motor mall is only a few turns away. It's defiantely the nearly $400 difference in price.
It's weird how for some things we only get mildly ripped off (like $17 for an ECTS or $31 for a set of head bolts) while on others we get royally screwed (like $400 and $600 for SOHC and DOHC timing kits).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Titanium48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Titanium48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Titanium48 is offline   Reply With Quote