SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2006, 01:22 AM   #1
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Plastic panels revisited

I'm curious, what GM cars have used plastic body panels in recent years? I know that the Camaro/Firebird had plastic fenders, and I believe that some Buicks may have as well. While it's a different type of material that I assume is less flexible and resilient than what Saturn uses, was it more dent resistant than steel? Could they be a cheaper alternative to the type of plastic that Saturns had, while maintaining some of the dent resistance? Why did GM use them on some of its cars?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2006, 04:08 AM   #2
scotted73
Advanced Member
scotted73 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: Plastic panels revisited

A majority of cars use plastic or some sort of flexible material in their bumper covers. The plastic used on the vertical surfaces of Saturns has to not only be flexible, but sturdy and stiff enough to hold the shape it was intended to be. Also, it has to be resisitent to hot and cold temperatures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scotted73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scotted73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scotted73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

My mother's 1995 Olds 88 had plastic front fenders.

But give it up. Saturn is going away from polymer. Deal with it.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb
My mother's 1995 Olds 88 had plastic front fenders.

But give it up. Saturn is going away from polymer. Deal with it.
Dude, if you don't like my post, don't read it. I'm just curious as to what kinds of alternative materials have been used for the fenders, and why. That's how I deal with problems - I look for solutions!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2
Dude, if you don't like my post, don't read it. I'm just curious as to what kinds of alternative materials have been used for the fenders, and why. That's how I deal with problems - I look for solutions!
I don't think that Oldsmobile fender will fit your SL2.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69
Nothing a little heat from a blow torch won't do...maybe a ballpeen hammer?

IIRC, Cheech n Chong had a car with body panels made from weed...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik

Man, after a really bad day at work, wouldn't you just be wanting a car fire so you could pull off to the side of the road and mellow out?

J/K! I do not nor am not endorsing the smoking of marijuana...it was simply a Cheech and Chong type joke.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-18-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Man, after a really bad day at work, wouldn't you just be wanting a car fire so you could pull off to the side of the road and mellow out?
Yeah, but then after you burned your car, you would have to WALK to the store to get the Doritos & doughnuts...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
Ollie
Ollie will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

"Just go with it Sarge".

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
-John Wayne-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ollie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ollie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
Ollie
Ollie will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

Oh - and it was called "Fiber Weed". You see, you take the weed from seed and turn it into a liquid.... then it can be formed into anything.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
-John Wayne-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ollie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ollie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #11
saturn_69
Master Member

Quote:
Yeah, but then after you burned your car, you would have to WALK to the store to get the Doritos & doughnuts...
Doh! Didn't think of that....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #12
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Quote:

I'm just curious about what kind of plastic has been used for body panels on other cars, and why it was chosen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #13
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I'm curious, what GM cars have used plastic body panels in recent years? I know that the Camaro/Firebird had plastic fenders, and I believe that some Buicks may have as well. While it's a different type of material that I assume is less flexible and resilient than what Saturn uses, was it more dent resistant than steel? Could they be a cheaper alternative to the type of plastic that Saturns had, while maintaining some of the dent resistance? Why did GM use them on some of its cars?
I think GM used them on Full size Buicks and Olds for weight saving which helps MPG in these vehicles which were not exactly mpg friendly. I think the Fiero was the plastic experament car for GM and I wonder if Saturn used it because GM liked what they saw in how the Pontiac took bangs and how well the paint held up on plastic beside the weight saving.I think if the Fiero had not had all its fire problems and the bad press that went along with its it might still be with us today. In 20 years it seemed Pontiac has come back to square one with the solice.My understands is Mercedes is experamenting with ploymer for some future Benzes.Since GM can not afford to do such things anymore Saturns will be cookie cutter cars of its GM bigger brothers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:03 PM   #14
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Early 1990's minivans (Lumina and TransSport)

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:28 PM   #15
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member

Here's another question. Do you think that some steel body cars are more easily dented than others? For example, the sheetmetal on my parents' 2005 Honda Accord seems especially thin and easy to dent. In the absence of Saturn's dent resistant panels, perhaps the best I can do would be something like the Subaru Legacy. I think the LL Bean edition or whatever it's called has trim on it that would protect the doors and fenders somewhat, but I haven't really looked at one up close.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #16
walt
walt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura aboutwalt has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Here's another question. Do you think that some steel body cars are more easily dented than others? For example, the sheetmetal on my parents' 2005 Honda Accord seems especially thin and easy to dent. In the absence of Saturn's dent resistant panels, perhaps the best I can do would be something like the Subaru Legacy. I think the LL Bean edition or whatever it's called has trim on it that would protect the doors and fenders somewhat, but I haven't really looked at one up close.
I dont know if some cars dent easier than others but the placing and width of moldings make a big difference. I saw a new Jag yesterday and as expensive as those cars are it looked ridiculous as the whole passerger side door was full of dings. It looked like a old piece of junk. A $65,000 car with a thin crapola molding left to protect it from the parking lot "who cares" crowd.Two of my Saturns took some heavy hits from these morons this past year.One backed into my SC2 so hard the tailight was broken and a chunck was taken out of the bumper.No they did not wait around for me to exit the store,they never do.Most use your car as a way of telling them they must now go foward or if there is enough room to open your doors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to walt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help walt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #17
daver
daver has a spectacular aura aboutdaver has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION Red Line
1999 SC2

1984 - 1988 Pontiac Fiero

Find yourself an '88 GT in good condition and you'll have a car that even the car mags admitted had evolved into a sweet car, after they spent several years fixing all the stuff that wasn't quite right.

Never fixed:

Headlight motors break down in 90 % plus vehicles.
Paint fades prematurely, especially in hotter climates.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daver is offline   Reply With Quote