SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
simple2me
simple2me is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 3.6L LY7 Engine

I don't own a Saturn Vue but I just purchased an engine out of a 2008 Vue with 24K miles to put in my CTS. I started the swap on Saturday which consisted of removing all of the external parts that were on the Saturn 3.6 and Caddy 3.6, prepping and of course painting everything. I had to purchase a new balancer for the 08-09 CTS due to the crank design changing in 07 or 08 to a keyway type crank. I ordered the new balancer this mornign and it will be in tomorrow so I should have it together by the end of the week. I wanted to see if the 3.6L Saturn owners are having the same issues as the CTS owners (Timing chain failure and excessive oil consumption which bascially boils down to the PCV system) and i wanted to see if anyone had the cam specs (duration, lift, etc) for the 08 Vue 3.6L engine. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to simple2me's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help simple2me reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
simple2me is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 2008 3.6L LY7 Engine

not many problems with the 3.6 in the vue or aura. alot of problems with it in the outlook. i also think that is because of the pcv system in the outlook. they sludge up fast in outlooks. you must have alot of miles on your caddy already to be out of warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
BigBlueVUE
BigBlueVUE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple2me View Post
I don't own a Saturn Vue but I just purchased an engine out of a 2008 Vue with 24K miles to put in my CTS. I started the swap on Saturday which consisted of removing all of the external parts that were on the Saturn 3.6 and Caddy 3.6, prepping and of course painting everything. I had to purchase a new balancer for the 08-09 CTS due to the crank design changing in 07 or 08 to a keyway type crank. I ordered the new balancer this mornign and it will be in tomorrow so I should have it together by the end of the week. I wanted to see if the 3.6L Saturn owners are having the same issues as the CTS owners (Timing chain failure and excessive oil consumption which bascially boils down to the PCV system) and i wanted to see if anyone had the cam specs (duration, lift, etc) for the 08 Vue 3.6L engine. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
There is no issues with the Saturn engines. The issues is with the 3.6 L DI Direct Injection engines only. My other vehicle is an 2010 Traverse with this engine.

The issue was not with the PCV system it came down to the oil journals feeding the timing chain where simply to small. Once the oil was left in to long it wouldn't flow as well and was starving the timing chains of oil and they would overheat and stretch.

GM's fix was to re-program the oil life monitoring system and change out the oil way sooner. So not really fixing the issues just preventing it.

They found and corrected the issue in 2010 by making the oil journals bigger in the 2010 blocks... IE fixing the issues with the new Camaro of course. I almost think they fixed by mistake trying to beef up the engine line for the Camaro.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigBlueVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigBlueVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigBlueVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

2007 and 2008 outlooks were not direct injection

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
simple2me
simple2me is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
not many problems with the 3.6 in the vue or aura. alot of problems with it in the outlook. i also think that is because of the pcv system in the outlook. they sludge up fast in outlooks. you must have alot of miles on your caddy already to be out of warranty.
I just bought the CTS for 1000.00 with a bad engine. The car is super nice and I couldn't pass up the deal. I found the 2008 engine and swapped all the parts over I needed from the CTS engine (timing cover, front and rear water necks, upper intake manifold). The only parts I needed to purchase was the 2 belt balancer and the necessary gaskets & o-rings. I was just checking the site to see if the Saturn owners were having the same issues as the CTS owners. The oil consumption was my biggest concern. As with any vehicle, you have to do maintenance or it will eventually break down. All my vehicles have gotten over 200,000 miles, I've had 1 break 400,000 miles and 2 over 300,000. My current vehicle (02 Galant) is getting ready to roll 321,000 in a day or so. Thanks for the information!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to simple2me's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help simple2me reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
simple2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

no problem and for what its worth my aura 3.6 just past 5 years old...68k miles and doesnt burn a drop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!