SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 PM   #1
dcairns560
dcairns560 is a jewel in the roughdcairns560 is a jewel in the roughdcairns560 is a jewel in the rough

Default Cylinder 2 injector open circuit

Working on an 02 saturn l200. (my nieces car)

A couple weeks ago the car was running rough and had a code for cylinder 2 misfire. I swapped injector 2 and 4 and the dead cylinder followed the injector to number 4. Replaced the bad injector and everything was running good again.

Today it started running bad off and on. now i have code 0302 (cylinder 2 misfire) and code 0202 (injector 2 circuit open). Code 0202 shows up twice, one says inactive and the other is pending.

I checked to make sure the injectors and harness are plugged in tight and found no issues. Also looked for obvious pinched or corroded areas of the harness.

Assuming the issue is a bad spot in the wiring for #2. Are there any common areas that the harness rubs through that i should look for?

Thanks in advance for any input!
dcairns560 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Cylinder 2 injector open circuit

If your original problem followed the injector I would suspect the the whole set of injectors is failing not the wiring harness. I lost several injectors on a couple cars when they introduced ethanol to the gas here in Oregon. A junk yard set of injectors kept both cars running for years.
2002 L200/5 loaded, coming attractions LSJ and an F40 if I can make the axles work. Otherwise an LSJ and a 4.05 ratio F35.
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you can, measure resistance of each injector. They should measure between 12-13 ohms@74F.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (136.4 KB, 7 views)
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:05 PM   #4
dcairns560
dcairns560 is a jewel in the roughdcairns560 is a jewel in the roughdcairns560 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the link to the diagnostic aids. I will test the resistance of the injectors this weekend and report back.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:09 PM   #5
dcairns560

The resistance of the injectors ranged from 12.4 to 12.9
Old 07-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Presuming every injector is measuring resistance within range, a quick test would be powering each one momentarily with 12v to ensure each one clicks to open. A power/click test verifies injector operation. This leaves wiring and ecm. The wiring diagram shows 12v power applied to each injector when ignition is turned on. The ecm electronically switches ground to complete the injector circuit for the brief precisely timed pulse needed to open each injector at the appropriate time to spray fuel into each cylinder.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #7
dcairns560

Im assuming it is a wiring or ecm issue at this point. I will try testing each injector with 12v tomorrow.

I have the harness pulled out all the way to the ecm. Does anybody have a wiring diagram available so i can figure out which wires to test? I assumed the numbers shown on the injector diagram were the socket numbers on the ecm plug but the numbers dont correspond to the correct wire colors.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:34 AM   #8
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D6BE8504-BA7D-48F6-9EC2-707062B67C23.jpg (148.5 KB, 9 views)
2002 L200/5 loaded, coming attractions LSJ and an F40 if I can make the axles work. Otherwise an LSJ and a 4.05 ratio F35.
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

We gave two drawings with the same pinouts and wire color coding. Here's a third drawing wth the same info.

PCM J1 is a 56 pin connector, J2 is a 80 pin connector. J2 pin 51/BLK is injector #1, J2 pin 52/LT BLU/BLK is injector #2, J2 pin 72/PNK/BLK is injector #3 and J2 pin 71/LT BLU/BLK is injector #4.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (78.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #10
dcairns560

I was finally able to do some testing.

The wire numbers in the documentation provided above dont jive with what im finding on this car.
Both plugs at the pcm are 80 pin, not a 56 and an 80. Both plugs have a white body, the wire socket area on one is black and the other blue.

The pink power wire is pin 19 on the blue plug
Ltgrn/blk is pin 76 on the blue plug
Blk is pin 75 on the blue plug
Pnk/blk is pin 76 on the black plug
Ltblu/blk is pin 75 on the black plug

I checked resistance on each wire and got .3 to .4 ohms on each
I also load tested each wire from end to end using 12v and a light bulb
I also plugged the harness back in to the injectors, applied 12v to the pink wire at the ecm plug, then individually applied ground to the corresponding ground wires at the ecm plug and each injector clicked.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:56 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Apologies for misleading info. With a thorough continuity test and powering injectors with a manual ground to verify injector operation, this leaves either an intermittent or faulty pcm or the pcm may have a ground problem. Before concluding a pcm fault, pcm ground should be checked.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #12
dcairns560

To my embarrassment, it turns out that the car im working on is a 2001, not an 02 Perhaps this accounts for the discrepancy in wire numbers.

As far as checking the pcm ground, will that be a wire in the harness or is it an external ground strap/cable?

Thanks for all the help so far, glad to be getting somewhere on this!
Old 07-21-2019, 11:42 PM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

PCM internal ground circuit to an external ground connection on one of several ground splice packs (several ground wires connecting to a terminal strip connecting to one of several chassis studs. Main power; positive battery to starter and engine/interior fuse boxes, negative battery to chassis and engine block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (193.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-23-2019, 10:28 PM   #14
dcairns560

The grounds check out good.

Got a used pcm today from a salvage yard. One of the plugs fits the new pcm, the other does not. Im guessing there were a few different harnesses and pcm to account for different options??

Also looked at some pcm's on ebay and noticed some said they would be programmed to a specific vin. That got me to wondering if a pcm from a salvage yard will work or not without being reprogrammed.
Would I be better off getting a remanufactured one programmed to my vin?

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 07-23-2019, 11:50 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Using used pcms have two issues. One is with Saturns manufactured from 2000+. The body control module carries more responsibility the engine computer doesn't need and Passlock anti theft security occurs between pcm and bcm. They're 'married' in a procedure so both become security to prevent theft. A used pcm can be used but must be married using a 30 minute procedure so the foreign module is recognized when a fuel password is exchanged. Once this relearn procedure is performed, the 'new' pcm or bcm can be used as is without further GM programming. Other than VIN data, mileage is permanent and is part of all bcms. Mileage cannot be altered as this is tampering so each state DMV had procedures for handing mileage changes when bcms are replaced. Pcms are easier to use without VIN info and only need a 30 minute at home relearn procedure. Three 10 minute ignition on cycles followed by the fourth attempt to start allows the fuel password to pass from one module to the next to marry the two modules for security. Not performing a relearn procedure simply turns on the security light, preventing injectors and or fuel pump operation as security detects a theft attempt - security flashes quickly to indicate the engine will never startup.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:30 PM   #16
dcairns560

I was able to get a pcm with the correct plugs. Got the pcm installed, reconnected all wiring and performed the relearn process.
Attempted to start but the starter barely clicked due to a discharged battery. I tried to crank it a few times.
After charging the battery for awhile, I tried to start again, it fired for a second and then quit. The security light did come on and flash. Attempted to start a few more times, it cranked but did not start. Did the failure to crank at the end of the relearn process screw things up?
Im charging the battery overnight and trying again tomorrow. Do i need to start the relearn process over? Do i need to unplug the pcm before another relearn?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2019, 12:15 AM   #17
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When security flashes, Passlock failed to relearn (in normal circumstances, Passlock detected a theft attempt) and disables injector operation. Below is a reprint from the service manual. After three 10 minute ignition cycles, the fourth try should not have security ON or flashing - this tells you Passlock was relearned to allow startup. Disconnecting the pcm isn't needed. Leave it as is and try another relearn cycle. Members here sometimes have to try a second relearn before success.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Security Sensor Relearn Procedure.jpg (190.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #18
dcairns560

So I did relearn 2.0 and it fired right up and runs good so far.
The service engine light is still on with no codes showing when I hooked up the scan tool. Honestly not worried about that aspect at all, just happy to have it done!

Thanks again!