SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
wiseguy3501
wiseguy3501 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Dizzy Sound System Predicament

Here is my problem. My previous car was loaded with a hella sound system. Until I removed it all to sell the car. For the past three months I have been able to surprizingly live without it due to not knowing what I actually want to do. I've got the 6 disk mp3 player in it now, I like the 6 disk, mp3, and love the RDS. But the stereo would be a downgrade if I put the deck in that I have now.

Here's what I have...

Pioneer DEH-P4400
Sony Xplod 2 Channel 1200W
2 Rockford Fosgate P1

Well overpowered but service plan does its job...LOL!

I've thought about just wiring my amp up to the rear speakers but I fear that it might not sound good at all. I could swap out the stereo but then I would lose the 6 disk, mp3, and the RDS. Then also I would have to figure out what to do with the blank space. I think I've seen pics for other members that show, what appears to be stock, a cd holder under their deck. Confirmation would be appreciated about that.

I just don't know, other suggestions or info would be great. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wiseguy3501's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wiseguy3501 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wiseguy3501 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
Default Re: Sound System Predicament

I was very pleased with the results when I upgraded rear speakers system in my Silverado P/U (4x6s, 10" sub, and amp). I was concerned at first because some sources claim the factory units are electronically equalized for the vehicle. But I can't hear any ill-effects. It sounds incredible considering what I spent - much better than a factory upgrade. Played some Earth, Wind, and Fire for a high schooler and he said it sounded as clean and loud as band practice. Although I have no measurements to back it up, I also think the factory head unit drives the remaining factory fronts much better. Its like the power going the rear speakers is now available for the fronts. I plan to do a similar mod to my ION this winter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:12 AM   #3
wiseguy3501

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

So did you just shut down the rears? Cause if you did thats what I did to my old car. The rears couldn't handle the power from my deck so I disconnected them. At that point the highs from just the front two speakers were unbelieveable. Ear splitting!

At least with the Ion hooking up subs would be incredibly easy with the battery in the trunk! I should just try it to find out. Not as if I'll have anything to lose from it. Just gotta find out where I can get the rear speaker wiring for my amp, otherwise I might be **** out of luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wiseguy3501 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
vlipke
vlipke is on a distinguished road

I am using the stock 6disk MP3 in my car now and have the following..

Profile 80x4 RMS AMP running the factory main speakers. (Havent had a chance to swith them out yet, they actually sound quite good and are handling the power just fine.)

Profile 640x1RMS amp pushing 3 MTX 10's in a sealed enclosure.

My sub amp has speaker level imputs for two channel. The back speakers leads from the factory head unit are wired into the amp. Then the amp feeds the three subs. The amp has a low pass output on it that feeds the main channel amp, wich is, of course, wired to the four factory speakers. It sound damn good and I have had no problems with the Onstar system or anything else. The only downfall is there is no longer an ability to fade the system from front to rear if you choose to do so ever. This can be accomplished by running a low to high level converter if I wanted to, or getting an amp that has high level imputs for the mains. (Four channel amps seldom have this.)

Good luck, keep the factory head unit, it has all the features that you want, and you will thank yourself in the long run....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vlipke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vlipke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vlipke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:17 PM   #5
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy3501
So did you just shut down the rears? ....
Sort of. I just ran the rear speaker leads into the speaker level inputs of a 4 channel amp (old 200 watt Rockford Fosgate). I used the built-in crossovers to feed the 4x6s with 2 channels and the sub with the other 2 (bridged). So, the factory head unit sees a small load on the rear leads. But its such a high impedance that it wouldn't draw any current to speak of. I still have front-rear fader, but no sub level control. I just played with the level controls on the amp till it was balanced. And, since most of the bass comes out of the sub, you can fine tune with tone controls.

In your case I assume the P1s are subs. You could run them in parallel with rears by tapping into the rear leads. You wouldn't reduce the load on the factory deck but you might tend to use less volume due to the sub. Or, just abandon the rears deck speakers and use the rear fader for sub control.

The factory wiring in my truck was twisted pair so that probably helps in eliminating any noise pickup. I don't hear anything, but the RF amps do supposedly have some sort of noise elimination circuitry.

I'm not sure what you mean by a harness but if you want to tap into the speaker leads without trashing the factory harness you could do what I've done in the past - clip the connector off some discarded factory speakers and solder wires onto the tabs. You can probably find some speakers for free or very low cost at a stereo installer. They you can put everything back to stock appearance easliy.

Finally, I don't know if you are aware of it, but the Saturn uses 4 ohm speakers (and 2 ohm with AAS i think). The HU should be able to drive an efficient after market speaker in the doors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
wiseguy3501

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlipke
The only downfall is there is no longer an ability to fade the system from front to rear if you choose to do so ever. This can be accomplished by running a low to high level converter if I wanted to, or getting an amp that has high level imputs for the mains. (Four channel amps seldom have this.)
I discovered this before. Unless you have a deck with three preouts(RCA connectors), two for highs one for bass, you have no ability to fade. This happens because only the left and right channels(2) are being sent to the amp, not all four like a stock system. A old friend of mine had this issue where to fade it was front to back instead of left to right. It was kinda funny. Best Buy set his system up weird. I've always done mine myself, I don't trust people at Best Buy. Half to time they sound as though they don't know what they're talking about. Installed in 5 cars now. Without and training...Should make a buisness out of it. Thanks for the info vlipke!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2005, 03:50 PM   #7
wiseguy3501

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNut
I'm not sure what you mean by a harness but if you want to tap into the speaker leads without trashing the factory harness you could do what I've done in the past - clip the connector off some discarded factory speakers and solder wires onto the tabs.
The harness that I speak of comes with most amps. For my amp, it actually has four wires coming out of it, with a connector on the end to plug into my amp. It is made specifically for wiring an amp to the rear speaker wires. I had no use for it so I think I tossed it a long time ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-06-2005, 05:08 PM   #8
vlipke
vlipke is on a distinguished road

Eventually I plan on getting around to running a converter to the second amp (the main channel amp) to run the main speakers. This way you can fade between main channel speakers and the subs. Then I will use the low level output on the sub amp to feed the back channel on the main amp. That way not only will I be able to fade the main level from the subs, but then you could also fade the rear speakers a bit to. (of course you would also be affecting base response.) The only reason I miss fade is because occasionally there is someone in the back seat of the car, and it would be nice to still have someone back there and be able to use the stereo without making their ears bleed.... :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vlipke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vlipke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vlipke is offline   Reply With Quote