SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
Alex9
Alex9 is on a distinguished road

Default Tranny Slipping into 2nd and 4th

Hi, I have a 1998 Saturn SL1 Automatic with 111,000 miles.

About 2 1/2 years ago I replaced the valve body with a rebuilt one from Special Forces, which corrected the transmission slipping into 3rd and 4th at the time. Last night it started again but this time it slips going into 2nd and 4th. Am I due for another valve body or could this be something else?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alex9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alex9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alex9 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2018, 03:13 AM   #2
Alex9

Default Re: Tranny Slipping into 2nd and 4th

Just felt a tiny reverse slam :/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Alex9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #3
Alex9

More info.
For the past few years I've changed the transmission fluid every 6 months with Mobil 1 Synthetic and Wix filter. I'm always very easy on the car and have had it for 10 years.

Throttle body and egr are clean. I don't usually use the #3 and #2 gears but I did the night this slipping started and it was relatively hard to get it into #2 but I didn't have to force it.

The ects was replaced with a good one maybe 4 years ago too. I mention the ects because I was driving back over saddleback on the Big Island that night and there's a lot of steep up hill followed by steep down hill. Going downhill the engine ran very cold, but it was high altitude and very cold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

your top post says automatic but your last post says it's hard to get it into 2nd and 3rd. Do you mean the automatic shifter is hard to move into 2nd or 3rd but goes into D and R ok ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
Alex9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gveinot View Post
your top post says automatic but your last post says it's hard to get it into 2nd and 3rd. Do you mean the automatic shifter is hard to move into 2nd or 3rd but goes into D and R ok ?
Yes, sorry. It's an automatic. It moves into reverse, D and 3rd fine but 2nd is troublesome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

if you start it up and move from P to D and drive off for a good 30 minute drive in the city and country which includes stop and starting at stop lights and at least a few cycles to 50 mph, does it drive ok ? no bucking, clunks, etc ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
Alex9

Quote:
if you start it up and move from P to D and drive off for a good 30 minute drive in the city and country which includes stop and starting at stop lights and at least a few cycles to 50 mph, does it drive ok ? no bucking, clunks, etc ?
Going into 2nd gears seems to be the hardest to get into. The Torque converter seems to do most of the work until it gets to 3rd, which runs normally. Sometimes there's a small clunk going into 2nd too.

Going into 4th is almost always slipping and actually yesterday the car downshifted from 4th to 3rd and there was a little clunk. And of course reverse mini-slammed on me last night.

So to answer your question, ever since the slipping started a few days ago, it does all of this no matter how I drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2018, 07:00 PM   #8
gveinot

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

Check to make sure your alternator is putting out over 14 volts at idle before you do anything else. The transmission is electronically controlled, voltage is important. Clunking in all gears without delayed reverse usually means the line pressure solenoid is failing. I have had that happen before. Since you already swapped a valve body before you know what is involved. You can take just the top off the valve body, expose the solenoids, and examine the line pressure solenoid for both electrical resistance and mechanical issues. What I mean by mechanical issues is I have had a few become loose, you can wiggle the bottom part of the solenoid about 1/16 of an inch back and forth when holding the top part of the solenoid tight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #9
Alex9

Quote:
Check to make sure your alternator is putting out over 14 volts at idle before you do anything else. The transmission is electronically controlled, voltage is important. Clunking in all gears without delayed reverse usually means the line pressure solenoid is failing. I have had that happen before. Since you already swapped a valve body before you know what is involved. You can take just the top off the valve body, expose the solenoids, and examine the line pressure solenoid for both electrical resistance and mechanical issues. What I mean by mechanical issues is I have had a few become loose, you can wiggle the bottom part of the solenoid about 1/16 of an inch back and forth when holding the top part of the solenoid tight.
I'll check the voltage.

Quote:
Clunking in all gears without delayed reverse usually means the line pressure solenoid is failing.
I do have a delayed reverse, but it hasn't clunked until yesterday.

If the pressure solenoid is loose can I fix that somehow or does that mean it or the whole valve body needs replacing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #10
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex9 View Post
If the pressure solenoid is loose can I fix that somehow or does that mean it or the whole valve body needs replacing?
You can replace individual Solenoids - new ones are about $50.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:35 PM   #11
gveinot

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

ok, with a delayed reverse, a cluck in reverse, and all your other issues, I would say you need a new valve body. The solenoids just sit in sockets, if you remove the top cover off the valve body and then pry off the electrical buss, you will see all 5 of the solenoids. Just tug and twist them and they pop out. There are schematics on this site showing which ones do what: IE Line Pressure, TCC, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear. If you keep driving it with the clunk, you will back off the input nut and that is another pain to fix and more time consuming, see other posts on this site about that. Before you do all this, check to make sure the electrical connector on top of the transmission ( under the battery ) is tight. I had that loosen up once and i had clunking in all gears but not the delayed reverse issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #12
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Possible loose input shaft nut?

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:37 AM   #13
Alex9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
Possible loose input shaft nut?
I checked that out yesterday and it wasn't really loose but I took it off anyway and cleaned, applied loctite and torqued it. Interestingly there didn't seem to be any thread locker on the nut

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2018, 01:41 AM   #14
Alex9

So after checking the input shaft nut I took the connector off the the valve body cover and tested the solenoids with a multimeter. My results were:
3rd - 4.6
4th - 4.8
TCC - 4.6
Line Pressure - 3.1
2nd - 4.7

So it seems I've found the culprit . I'm working on getting a solenoid shipped to me and I'll post the results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #15
gveinot

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

excellent news, while you have the valve body apart, I would physically remove each solenoid and see if the body of each one is tight and not starting to come apart. I have had a few starting to come apart, the bottom of the solenoid could be moved about 1/16 of an inch from the top. If you need to drive the car before your new solenoid arrived, you can swap the 4th gear one with the Line Pressure and just keep your transmission in 3rd so it never tries for 4th, all will be ok below 50 Mph and driving around town. There is a chance your valve body still has an issue, so if you get it all back together and it clunks only in reverse but fine in all forward gears, you will need a new / rebuilt valve body, the internal sleeve device is worn too much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #16
cgg17
cgg17 will become famous soon enoughcgg17 will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

It's a special forces VB with the sonnax sleeve, probably has no excess wear on it. I believe special forces uses known good solenoids, but I believe they are still used. Regardless, its an easy procedure and the solenoid will probably do it.

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #17
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Yes, Special Forces uses good solenoids, or replaces the bad solenoids he finds when he rebuilds them. He also sells individual solenoids. The only thing he does not do is the Sonnax sleeve on the pressure regulator valve. If you are changing the fluid regularly and you do NOT abuse your car, the pressure regulator valve isn't as failure-prone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg17 View Post
It's a special forces VB with the sonnax sleeve, probably has no excess wear on it. I believe special forces uses known good solenoids, but I believe they are still used. Regardless, its an easy procedure and the solenoid will probably do it.
The Sonnax sleeves are steel, so they would wear similar to the way the cylinders wear from the piston rings, on our engines. Wear of the boost pressure valve should be minimal.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #18
Alex9

Alright I replaced the Line Pressure solenoid and after going through the relearn procedure and driving the car for a couple days everything is running smooth again. Thanks for all the help. I learnt a lot

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2018, 02:53 AM   #19
Alex9

Indirectly related: I took the strut off to get to the input shaft nut right. So the steering wheel started pulling left and has a very slight rocking to it. Now I'm thinking I was probably supposed to mark the strut where it's bolted on the axle or something to be sure I put it back on just the way it was? Anyone know how I can fix that without having to take it to a shop?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #20
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex9 View Post
Indirectly related: I took the strut off to get to the input shaft nut right. So the steering wheel started pulling left and has a very slight rocking to it. Now I'm thinking I was probably supposed to mark the strut where it's bolted on the axle or something to be sure I put it back on just the way it was? Anyone know how I can fix that without having to take it to a shop?
You need an alignment. There are DIY methods posted within the forum but generally it's best to take it to a reputable alignment shop.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote