SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #1
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default wheel spacers

Would there be any gain in handling by using wheel spacers? Other than you could fit wider tires.... I was curious if there would be any performance gain with the extra width. I suppose since the spacers are 5mm, it wouldnt be enough to do squat...

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2006, 12:07 AM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: wheel spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksc2
Would there be any gain in handling by using wheel spacers? Other than you could fit wider tires.... I was curious if there would be any performance gain with the extra width. I suppose since the spacers are 5mm, it wouldnt be enough to do squat...
front wheel and/or rear hub spacers would allow you to fit wider tires and they would increase the track both which would give more cornering grip.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:17 AM   #3
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So even if I don't change the tires, the extra 5mm width would help out?

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Yes, it helps.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Alright, thanks.

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2006, 01:46 AM   #6
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, I found wheel spacers for the front on sps, but they say to use hub spacers for the back, but they don't carry them. Any ideas?

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2006, 01:59 AM   #7
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

yes it helps and yes u shuld buy spair axles if u get them

3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:20 AM   #8
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I saw on one of the race cars they just used the wheel spacers in the back, not hub spacers. They had to use longer studs for 10mm spacers. Why axles if using spacers?

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2006, 03:58 AM   #9
xupthree60
Master Member
xupthree60 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

im not sure what all u are asking

i can tell u y they put spacers on the back and not the front

its cuz the rear track isnt as wide as the font. here is a pic of my car with 15"rims all 4 are 35mm offset and all 4 have the same 205/50/15 tires on them

3x CFR SCCA autocross champion with a 95 SL2 & 98 SC2

Currently own a 02 L200 with no plans to mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xupthree60's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xupthree60 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xupthree60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:57 AM   #10
SL2sleeper
SL2sleeper is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Quote:
Well, I found wheel spacers for the front on sps, but they say to use hub spacers for the back, but they don't carry them. Any ideas?
As for the rear spacers you have a few choices.
1. Get your own made out of some steel by using a rear hub to get the specs for fitment you will also need some spacers made from the same steel and thickness for the rear caliper bolts as well. Those look like washers and should be the same thickness of the hub spacer you just had made or made yourself. The washer type spacer is used to remove the gap which is formed when using rear hub spacers. The caliper bolts go through them (if I got this right I am tired over here and please correct me if I am wrong). This would be just like the SPS rear hub spacers.

2. Find a set of SPS rear hub spacers on eBay if you can find them. They are out there from time to time. I saw a set just before the summer but I donít think they sold. Maybe the person will post them up again?

3. The same spacers youíre looking at for the front can be used in the rear as well but only with drum brakes since the rear disc setup will use up most of the hub surface.
I have some photos of the SPS rear hub spacers I am just on the wrong comp right now or I would post it for you.
Good luck with your search.

xupthree60
Here is what I think he might be looking to do? Not sure exactly but dose sound like it.
http://www.teamscr.com/205vs225.html

ER OUT

No traction control but no need it is a 5 speed

In the end ride quality means nothing performance is everything!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2sleeper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2sleeper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:56 AM   #11
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Increasing the rear track without doing anything to the front will add rear grip and increase understeer. The converse is true when spacing the front.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:15 AM   #12
saturnjohnny
saturnjohnny is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Ian at www.qksltwo.com has wheel spacers, at least he did, and www.spswebpage.com had a hub spacing kit too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnjohnny's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnjohnny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #13
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL2sleeper

xupthree60
Here is what I think he might be looking to do? Not sure exactly but dose sound like it.
http://www.teamscr.com/205vs225.html

ER OUT

Ya, that's the site I was looking at. They used wheel spacers for the front and back, 5mm at first. in the back, 5mm wasn't enough, so they had to step up to 10mm. Then they didn't have enough room so they had to use longer wheel studs.

I was planning on doing it to the front and back, but I'll run out with a tape measure and see if the back is narrower than the front. If that's so, maybe I'll start out with the back. Or do the 5mm in front, 10mm in back.

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #14
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnjohnny
Ian at www.qksltwo.com has wheel spacers, at least he did, and www.spswebpage.com had a hub spacing kit too.
sps didn't have a hub kit when I looked last night. They just had the spacers, which use the existing studs. They would work for my front. qksltwo had the spacers that come with studs, so they will work in the back. Thanks.

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #15
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
contact john (from sps) he may have a way to get you a set of hub spacers. even if it's selling you the specs so a local machine shop can do it for you...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #16
quiksc2
Master Member

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR
contact john (from sps) he may have a way to get you a set of hub spacers. even if it's selling you the specs so a local machine shop can do it for you...

s3aturnr
Well, I found them on quiksltwo's page. But that's a good idea, there's a few things that sps used to carry, I could try emailing them and seeing if it might be possible to special order them. Or get the specs...

DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #17
SL2sleeper
SL2sleeper is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

You should be able to just make them yourself or have a machine shop do it. I recommend the second of the two. With the rear hub off you can get your measurements for the spacer by using paper and pen or get yourself an ink stamp press the rear hub on it then press on the paper perfect outline. Now the caliper spacer will take a little more effort. Test fitting large washers will get you what your looking for the bolts to fit through and outside diameter of the caliper spacer. Having them made or making them yourself would allow more control over the thickness you want 5mm to 10mm.
Measure twice maybe three times cut once if youíre doing it yourself. Test fit with some sheet metal to get the right size before going at it with the steel.

Suggestion for the steel could come from a set of leaf springs (junk yard) they come in very handy for all sorts of stuff. Youíre just stuck with the thickness of them unless you get them from a large truck. Get your parts together your measurements and head off to a machine shop so it will come out as close to perfect as can be. Or just take a rear hub to a machine shop and ask what they can do? Fabrication is your friend.

ER OUT

No traction control but no need it is a 5 speed

In the end ride quality means nothing performance is everything!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2sleeper's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2sleeper reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote