SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
A123jr
A123jr is on a distinguished road

Mad Help Please 95 SL1 replaced belt tensioner now belt too tight

I have a 95 SL1 94,000 miles and replaced the belt tensioner with the instructions from the How to library (good instructions by the way). It initally work well and seemed to slove my problems. The repair went well but when I replaced the new belt there was NO give at all on the belt. It is like a rock. I drove for a few days thinking it would loosen up. Problems seemed fixed but three days after light driving car is stalling, am having very poor acceleration, and increased engine vibration, not problems I had before. A mechanic friend thinks the belt is too tight. So I replaced it with my old belt (a little worn but functional), and that one too is tight as a drum.

I got my belt tensioner from autozone, dayco part number 305240. I had autozone double check that they gave me the correct part for my year, model, power steering, ac and they assured me that it is correct.

My only deviation from the instructions was that I unscrewed the pully from the tensioner in order to get the access room to screw in the new tensioner. My next step might be to loosen the screw connecting the pulley a small amount.

I would apprectiate any advice I can get. It seems I turned a small repair into a big problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to A123jr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help A123jr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Help Please 95 SL1 replaced belt tensioner now belt too tight

Compare the pulley diameters of the new and the old tensioners. If the diameter is out then that could be the problem. Is the new tensioner moving freely when you loosen it for the belt replacement?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:35 AM   #3
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
> A123jr <
> replaced the new belt there was NO give at all on the belt <
The question is not whether there is any give on the belt, but can you lighten the tension on the tensioner by turning it, with a wrench, clock-wise (just as you should have done, when you took the belt off). There is a "marker" on the top of the tensioner, with an arrow on the side, which will indicate if the tensioner is within the acceptable range of tension. ...

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
A123jr

Thanks for the replies. I remember eyeballing the old and new pullies and thinking they matched. I will measure tonight and make sure. I can loosen the tensioner to replace the belt, if memory serves, I get about a half revolution with the wrench. (Then of course it springs back to what it was.)

Luke I don't remember seeing the marker and arrow you are talking about on the tensioner. I will try and check tonight. If I remember correctly, with the pulley on, I have a very limited view of the tensioner, so I will see what I can see.

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help A123jr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
> A 123 Jr <
> I can loosen the tensioner to replace the belt, if memory serves, I get about a half revolution with the wrench<
Yep, that's correct.

Quote:
> Luke I don't remember seeing the marker and arrow you are talking about on the tensioner. <
From my observation, however, it is only on EOM units, not after market.
As I kept my old unit, to replace the bearing, I'll us it as a back-up. The marker can be seen from the top of the engine area.
It appears to be a flat strip of metal about .8" x .5", sitting on the top of the tensioner. The arrow, sits on the rotating side, points to within the area of the metal strip. If the arrow registers to the left of the strip, the tension is too weak, and if the tension arrow registers to the right of the strip, it's too tight. That's about it.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-11-2005, 05:17 PM   #6
A123jr

Thanks for the help. I loosened the belt tensioner nuts a bit and that released some of the tension, at least I have some play in the belt now. However, my problems have just gotten worse so I was probably kidding myself that it was only an over tightened belt. I am going to start a new thread to address the stall and smoke I am having. Thanks for the replies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2005, 09:55 AM   #7
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
> A 123 Jr <
> I loosened the belt tensioner nuts a bit and that released some of the tension, at least I have some play in the belt now...<
I have a real problem with this picture.. There isn't supposed to be that much "play" in the belt; Atleast, not that it is that noticeable...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 05-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #8
poorboy
poorboy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Luke,

What bearings did you get for your backup tensioner? I'm confused about the thread also. The tensioner will put the proper tension on the belt automatically. Loosening a blot should not change the tension on the belt. A123jr, Can you feel the spring pulling back on you when you replaced the belt? Not sure what you mean by too tight??

94 SL2 Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to poorboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help poorboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:50 AM   #9
A123jr

There is good tension when I rotate the spring (by turning the bolt holding the pulley to the tensioner). I do see the arrow mentioned on my old tensioner, I don't believe my new tensioner has an arrow.

My concern had been that the belt was pulled rock tight around the pullies and I had always been under the impression that there should be some give when I push down on the belt (maybe a half inch). However that does not seem to be the case. What I have gathered is that the belt tensioner is either working or it isn't. You can't "adjust the tension" much or at all. So I have concluded that the tensioner is working and I was chasing the wrong solution to my stalling problems and poor acceleration problems.

I started another thread hoping for some ideas unrelated to the tensioner. I want to thank you for ideas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #10
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
> Poor Boy <
> What bearings did you get for your backup tensioner? <
It is a standard bearing, #6203 RS
Saturn uses bearings from Canada, but it is a standard bearing. Price range $10-$15. Any bearing outlet will carry them. It should be noted that the bearing is not only used on the tensioner, but also the pulley.

Quote:
> A 123 JR <
> I do see the arrow mentioned on my old tensioner, I don't believe my new tensioner has an arrow. <
From my observations, only the OEM units will have that feature -- not after market.

Quote:
> I had always been under the impression that there should be some give when I push down on the belt (maybe a half inch). <
Not with the Saturn. The belt should be tight.

Quote:
> You can't "adjust the tension" much or at all. <
It is not adjustable, at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 05-12-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
poorboy
poorboy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

thanks Luke

94 SL2 Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to poorboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help poorboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread