SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
korax123
korax123 is on a distinguished road

Question Cruise Control Noise???

Ok when i engage crusie control it makes a wierd grinding noise kinda sounds like its coming from the column. It also does it when i disengege it. But here is the kicker when you dis-engage it with the clutch it makes a loud noise like a pop or somthing. Is this supposed to do this? I mean the the car still cruises its just annoying. Its a manual tranny btw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to korax123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help korax123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2003, 11:37 AM   #2
jmettee
jmettee is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

My 03 QC3, manual, does NOT make any noises engaging or disengaging the cruise. It is totally silent.

Go get it checked out.

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m
"Giggity Giggity Goo" -Quagmire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmettee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmettee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2003, 12:07 PM   #3
korax123
korax123 is on a distinguished road

Ok i'll call the dealer today and see when I can get it <b><i>checked</i></b> out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to korax123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help korax123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
Cap138
Cap138 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Cruise Control Noise???

Quote:
Originally posted by korax123
But here is the kicker when you dis-engage it with the clutch it makes a loud noise like a pop or somthing. Is this supposed to do this? I mean the the car still cruises its just annoying. Its a manual tranny btw
Ah...the good 'ol "gunshot cruise release" that has scared us manual owners once in a while. What happens is when you press the clutch, the gas pedal is released and snaps back very quickly. The noise is normal and I believe this is covered in the owner's manual. If you use the brake to disengage the clutch, the gas pedal is released much slower.

I suppose it was designed this way so that there's no chance of the cruise control revving the engine while you have the car in neutral.

2008 Astra 5-dr XR
black sapphire, manual
leather, sport, sunroof, adv audio
2000 SL1
2003 Ion3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cap138's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cap138 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2003, 04:07 PM   #5
SonataInFSharp
SonataInFSharp is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Everything you are experiencing is completely normal.

*Drive it like you bought it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SonataInFSharp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SonataInFSharp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2003, 04:12 PM   #6
Darvell
Darvell is on a distinguished road

All cruise-controls that I have used let the gas pedal "clunk" by releasing it when the cruise is disengaged. It's perfectly normal. I find it annoying, so I usually place my foot on the gas when I disengage so it doesn't do that.

I have another cruise-control noise question, though. With my cruise engaged on my 2003 QC3, it makes clicking sounds when I go from flat terrain to a steep hill. It kind of sounds like two surfaces stretching across each other when one of them is heated or cooled, like when a hot car makes clicking sounds just after it's parked and begins to cool. The sounds seems to be coming from under the dash near the steering column. It makes a "ckickety-click-click-clickety-click-click" sound.

Anybody heard this? I assume it's probably normal, but I've never heard a cruise control make this sound before.

Darvell

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Darvell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Darvell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2003, 11:46 PM   #7
Kender
Kender is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1994 SC2

I had this same problem on my ION2. I posted it in a thread called "clicking cruise control".
Quote:
On my new ION2 Quad Coupe, I have a problem with my cruise control. When the cruise is engaged, and the car is going up an incline, there is a VERY loud, rapid clicking noise. It sounds like a woodpecker is inside my steering column! The dealer has looked at it. They told me they drove another ION identical to mine and it also made this clicking sound and it is "inherent to design, normal operation at this time". I even had the tech ride with me, he heard it also, but said that was normal. I told the manger it wasn't normal to me, so he agreed to order me a new cruise control module. The cruise works, it just makes the loud clicking noise on an incline. You can feel the steering wheel shake. Has anybody else experienced this?
I complained until they replaced my cruise control module which solved most of the problem. Every once and awhile, it would still click, but softer in volume.

1994 SC2
2003 ION 2 QC - gone
2004 ION 3 QC
2007 SKY - gone
2007 SKY REDLINE
2008 XE VUE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kender's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kender reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2003, 02:52 PM   #8
Darvell
Darvell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Kender
I had this same problem on my ION2. I posted it in a thread called "clicking cruise control".

I complained until they replaced my cruise control module which solved most of the problem. Every once and awhile, it would still click, but softer in volume.
Thanks! That sounds just like mine. I'll look into it.

Darvell

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Darvell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Darvell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2003, 04:06 PM   #9
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan
Dizzy

I haven't head any noise, but I did notice my cruise not working about a week ago. I was doing 130 (kmph) and I tried to engage and it flashed "cruise" in the display but would not engage. The next day everything was fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread