SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #21
DJCharlie
DJCharlie is a jewel in the roughDJCharlie is a jewel in the roughDJCharlie is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1996 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Battery Dead. Jumped car and it died while driving

I appreciate your knowledge fdryer. Thanks for sticking around in the forums.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJCharlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJCharlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DJCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #22
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Battery Dead. Jumped car and it died while driving

I didn't think that much about the fusible link being open as what you can see of it in the picture the insulation appears undamaged. Further it is designed to handle the full output of the alternator and go open under abnormally high current conditions.

What might damage the alternator is that it would be putting out full voltage and current due to it sensing low battery voltage. It would be working to charge a battery that it can't because there is not a complete circuit to the battery.
Never mind that the alternator output is being run through the starter motor to ground.

The alternator is not powered up by the fusible link wire. That is the alternator output. The small wire in the removable connector is the wire that lets the alternator know the battery voltage to run the alternator/charging.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #23
DJCharlie
DJCharlie is a jewel in the roughDJCharlie is a jewel in the roughDJCharlie is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1996 SC2

Fired right up this morning with 14v at idle and 13.75 under load. This is probably how the alternator was functioning beforehand so I didn't damage it but I'm assuming that's a low reading so I'll eventually replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJCharlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJCharlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DJCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:44 AM   #24
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

That isn't bad. You should be fine.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #25
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCharlie View Post
Fired right up this morning with 14v at idle and 13.75 under load.
Hurray, happy ending!

I was reading this thread and the suspense was getting to me.

Quote:
People keep telling me to junk the car because of its age but i refuse.
Good for you -why throw a way a perfectly good car?

Most people are stupid (or at least, financially illiterate). There's a reason why so many people are living paycheck to paycheck, don't have an emergency fund, and don't have enough retirement savings.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote