SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
Rbernsdo
Rbernsdo is on a distinguished road

Default 1999 sl2 cluster lights/radio light??

Hey everyone, I just picked up a work car, 1999 sl2 5 speed with 90,000 miles on it. Stock everything, factory radio etc... when I picked it up I realized the cluster lights didnít work, so I pulled every single fuse under the hood and inside the car and threw new fuses in basically everything just because... there were none blown. That didnít help, so I bought a new dimmer switch, that didnít work, so I bought a new connector with the three wires for the dimmer switch, spliced it in, that doesnít work, I pulled the cluster checked every bulb, they are good... Iím not sure if itís related but the radio station light up screen on the factory radio only lights up when the lights are turned off, when I flip the dial to turn the headlights on, the little radio screen goes dark. Iím at witts end trying to figure this out. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on here?

Thanks,

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rbernsdo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rbernsdo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rbernsdo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 1999 sl2 cluster lights/radio light??

Welcome to saturnfans, and keep an eye on your oil level
(check oil at least once every gas fillup, the first few fillups)

It sounds like
  • your odometer works,
  • instrument panel (speedo, tach, etc.) works,
  • warning lights work (Service engine Soon, oil pressure, low coolant, etc)

Is that correct? If so, which lights don't work?

Did you check the two "theater" light bulbs? They provide most of the lighting for the gauge faces at night (gauges are not backlit) and they are easy to miss because of their forward position (not being on the back with the rest of the bulbs)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154888

It's possible that the previous owner damaged the cluster somehow. - pulled off a printed circuit or something

Radio power should be mostly separate unless the previous owner did something really, really odd (been know to happen occasionally )

Turning the headlights on is supposed to dim the radio readout (and odometer, IIRC) so that might be worth looking into

Do you see any splices in the stock wiring?

Might be something of interest in this thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=136554&page=2

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Rbernsdo
Rbernsdo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the response. All of the dash indications work fine. The lighting is the problem. There is no cluster lighting so I canít see anything at night.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rbernsdo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rbernsdo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rbernsdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

We replaced the bulbs in our '99 because several were burned out.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote