SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Question Clear lens headlights

Are there any companies that sell basic style headlights that have clear lenses?

I make my own HID projector headlights, have for all of my past vehicles, and I would love to make some for my recently acquired 98 SL2, but I haven't been able to find many aftermarket options for headlights for them. The fluted style lenses are not very friendly to projector beam patterns unfortunately...

As a DIY'er, for the price, you simply CANNOT beat the light output of a true HID projector retrofit. Sure projector retrofits do look cool and all, but in the end that's not what I would be after with this car. It's a 98 Saturn, she's no show queen lol. I live out in the woods and travel back roads often, and I like to see down the road at night, so I love nothing more than to be able to throw 100+watts of bixenon HID 4300k light in front of me

Any help in the right direction for some clear lens lights would be greatly appreciated

Just for kicks and giggles, this is some of my handiwork.

2006 Toyota Tacoma

2001 Toyota Corolla

2010 Hyundai Elantra

2004 Chevy Blazer

2010 Chevy Silverado

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2019, 10:42 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Clear lens headlights

The only place you will find any clear non prismatic headlights would be eBay and I don't think any exist.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #3
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Yeah that was the first place I looked and I couldn't find any...

Usually you can find some on there for just about any vehicle, especially older compact 4 door cars, as that's what most highschoolers end up with as a first car, and they tend to "rice" them out with bolt on eBay parts like cheapo headlights and taillights I could care less what kind of LED or halo gimmicks they throw into the headlights, I just want the clear lens off them, even if I have to pay $60 for the darn things! lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If you can think of doing it now, 2-3 someones have already done it and at least one has posted either here or on Sixthsphere.com about it...

10-15min in the oven at 250f then some careful prying pops the lenses off the black reflector part (don't forget to remove the metal clips that hold them on until the factory glue sets). Once split it's relatively simple to sand the flutes off.

https://sixthsphere.com/showthread.p...-56k-go-away)?
and
https://sixthsphere.com/showthread.p...ack-headlights

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

It's not the process of retrofitting, I've got that down as you can see. It's acquiring clear non fluted lenses (without the lines in them) for the retrofit that's the problem, as the lines throw off the beam pattern focus of the projector.

I've seen guys take old school glass headlight lenses and sand and buff the flutting out of them before, VERY labor intensive, but some have had pretty good success. I would imagine that same process could be done to plastic lenses and it would probably be a lot easier, but still time consuming. That may be the path I end up trying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Sanding is the only option. As long as you resist the temptation to start with bolder paper it is not too bad of a job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm unfamiliar with '98 SL2 headlight assemblies but a simple google search returns many different headlights. I'm presuming you're searching for a new set whether oem or aftermarket to use as a base for gutting part of it to retrofit bi-xenon HID projector assemblies. Your examples converting other vehicles seem flawless with a factory look. Keep searching as perseverance tends to pay off.

I did my own research and found out less (parts) was best to convert from halogen to hid and retain DRLs with low beams. My L300 has projector lights (cutoff plate inside) and the DRL circuit works with one exception - DRL use is full power. I chose 35 watts as a starting point and they've been used for two years. If I get three years from these inexpensive HIDs and one fails, I'll consider going to 55 watts (same as halogens). One issue I'm anticipating is courtesy lighting when dome, parking and low beams cycle on for 30 seconds when getting into the car at night. This short cycles the ballasts when starting up as the headlights cycle off (parking brake engaged).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

The other option I was thinking was putting the projector in the area where the amble running/turn signal bulb is. It is clear with no fluting lines.

Would need to relocate the turn signal bulb, but in the grand scheme of things that is no huge obstacle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oh, now I understand the difficulty - the lens itself is. No clear lens area for the projector to shine thru without distorting the light bream.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2019, 02:33 PM   #10
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

If you can find a set of these then you're golden. Good luck!

http://www.2040-parts.com/96-99-satu...ement-i182250/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEN2 Clear Black Housing.JPG (81.9 KB, 100 views)

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

That is PRECISELY what I am looking for trottida!

Don't care too much for the blacked out look, would rather the chrome lol, but if I could salvage just the lens I'd be happy.

I found today that I can get OEM style aftermarket lights brand new for $22 each so I may try to butcher a set of those first before I fork over $100 for those. That's assuming those are even still in production any more...

Has anyone ever tried lining up the 2000 body style SL lights on the 98 body SL's and seeing if they would bolt on or look right? They look darn close looking at photos, and they have non fluted lenses. That would be the easy way out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

This looks like a project will be underway. Hopefully when and if you can fit projectors with snapshots of night views against a wall for reference and blacked out roadway, we can see how well the mod works when done right. This might encourage others to consider upgrading to projectors to use hids correctly for their intended use and not in stock reflector housings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
This looks like a project will be underway. Hopefully when and if you can fit projectors with snapshots of night views against a wall for reference and blacked out roadway, we can see how well the mod works when done right. This might encourage others to consider upgrading to projectors to use hids correctly for their intended use and not in stock reflector housings.

Absolutely will do.

I've used cheap eBay $30 projectors and $120 Morimoto projectors and have had great success with both!

And yes, I really like to see at night. The retrofitted 2004 Blazer is my other daily and weekend trail warrior. Granted it is also equipped with some LED light bars, it can throw out a ton of light.

Low beams:

High beams (or what I like to call, turning the sun back on )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2019, 10:43 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

98_Gold_Uranus, I can tell from your first post, snapshots and descriptions of mods to fit HID projectors into light housings for better lighting without blinding everyone. Thank you for showing how HID projectors have that distinctive cutoff pattern when shone on a flat wall. Your expertise and patience in fitting projectors for safe upgrading to better lighting shows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #15
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post
That is PRECISELY what I am looking for trottida!

Don't care too much for the blacked out look, would rather the chrome lol, but if I could salvage just the lens I'd be happy.
Apparently they sell them with a chrome crystal option as well.

http://incarparts.com/headlight-head...adlight-p-2694

And a euro style halo projector version

http://incarparts.com/headlight-proj...adlight-p-2059

And the same with black

http://incarparts.com/headlight-proj...adlight-p-2058

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Halo Projector.jpg (139.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Chrome Crystal.jpg (28.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Black Crystal.jpg (137.2 KB, 85 views)

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #16
HFHEARD
HFHEARD is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

They can be had through Amazon as well: https://www.amazon.com/Saturn-Replac.../dp/B004BCDNH0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HFHEARD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HFHEARD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HFHEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #17
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFHEARD View Post
They can be had through Amazon as well: https://www.amazon.com/Saturn-Replac.../dp/B004BCDNH0
That's a GEN3 headlight. He's looking for a GEN2 (96-99) with a clear lens which were not OEM.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #18
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

Yeah I brought home a gen 3 light today actually. Isn't a direct drop in without the metal bracketry behind it it would seem... I've read somewhere that they will actually fit all be it with some gaps around the edges because of the way the bumper was redesigned a little with the 3rd gen, I wanted to see just how much of a gap though. I may source a bracket and still try and mount it up just to see. If the gap is minimal and I can live with it, or maybe it's something I could fab up a shroud for and fill in the gap and make it not look so out of place, I may just go the route of a gen 3 light. Not a huge fan of the amber lens in the corner, but maybe that's something I can address while the lens is removed for the retrofit

Lots of maybes there lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It can be installed but really looks "funny" --a real hack job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #20
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
It can be installed but really looks "funny" --a real hack job.
I actually mocked it up today with no bracket at all installed, literally just laying the light into place to see how it looked in the hole. Trying to use the 98 bracket or a bracket for a 2000 pushed the light out too far to the outside and made it interfere with the fender, so it's not a simple bolt on. But without the bracket in place, or even with the bracket bolted to the light but loose against the core support so it can be shifted around, it can be positioned a little better. And honestly in my opionion it doesn't look as out of place as I thought it would be. The lines are definitely not perfect and there's certainly gaps, but heck there's gaps with the original light lol. Plus it's a freaking 20 year old car, body lines and gaps were not perfect in 1998 lol. I personally would never notice such a thing on other vehicles unless someone were to point it out to me or I knew the vehicle really well.

I might just be able to get the 2000 brackets to work now that I have them just by drilling a few new holes in the core support and making one new small extension bracket in one spot, and still be able to go back to the old setup if in the end the new setup just doesn't work out well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!