SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default P0700 Code and 6T70 Transmission

The saga begins. Got a P0700 code last night and confirmed it with Onstar this morning. They weren't able to pull the code last night for some reason. Waiting on the tow to get it to the dealership (closest GM dealer and not the Saturn one). Get this for timing - Took delivery of the vehicle on July 17, 2007. That is what all the paperwork says. Finance paperwork shows July 12th. We shall see what we can work out with GM.

BTW, no prior indications of any problems. As a matter of fact, I was just getting ready to make the appointment to replace the tranny fluid as it has been just of 24,000 miles. Vehicle currently has 89,900.

We shall see.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
homerec130

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: P0700 Code and 6T70 Transmission

I posted this in another somewhat unrelated thread (about adding Lukas to a tranny), but here is the update:

To continue - got off the phone with the dealer and it has a bad wave plate. It will cost $4648 out the door for a sealed transmission with a 3 year/100k mile warranty or $4776 to repair it with a one year warranty. Needless to say the plan it to replace the whole thing. Dealer said it is outside the special warranty. Service folks recommended I call gm customer service.

Talked to customer service and pled my case. The gal took my info and which option I wanted (new) and said she would escalate it to the AZ senior service advisor. Provided her with the repair order date, towing date (did it thru Onstar so there is a record) as well as any other info they need. Also emphasized I have been a GM owner for over 20 years and 7 vehicles (all Saturns). Made no demands, just waiting to see what they come back with.

Wish me luck and open to suggestions.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
SamC130
SamC130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Sounds a little excessive to me. Suggest trying someone other than a dealer. We have a 2008 XR that just turned 90,000. Yesterday we were on our way home from the VA hospital and had stopped at Sonic. As we were pulling away, we heard a noise like the transmission was being put into drive. It wouldn't shift then the check engine light came on along with the traction control light. We drove home - we were only a short distance away. My mechanic suggested calling AAA and having it brought in. This morning my wife went out and started it and the check engine light was on but it was shifting okay. I went out to check it and not only was it shifting, the check engine light had gone off. Since we cancelled OnStar, I don't know what the code was. Our repair shop will check it. We'll see. I hate the idea of spending $4,000 or more on a vehicle that's only worth about $5,000-$6,000 even though it's been a good car over all and we love it. We bought it right after Hurricane Ike came through and the day before - literally - the financial crash in 2008.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SamC130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SamC130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SamC130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
homerec130

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamC130 View Post
Sounds a little excessive to me. Suggest trying someone other than a dealer. We have a 2008 XR that just turned 90,000. Yesterday we were on our way home from the VA hospital and had stopped at Sonic. As we were pulling away, we heard a noise like the transmission was being put into drive. It wouldn't shift then the check engine light came on along with the traction control light. We drove home - we were only a short distance away. My mechanic suggested calling AAA and having it brought in. This morning my wife went out and started it and the check engine light was on but it was shifting okay. I went out to check it and not only was it shifting, the check engine light had gone off. Since we cancelled OnStar, I don't know what the code was. Our repair shop will check it. We'll see. I hate the idea of spending $4,000 or more on a vehicle that's only worth about $5,000-$6,000 even though it's been a good car over all and we love it. We bought it right after Hurricane Ike came through and the day before - literally - the financial crash in 2008.
I talked to my regular mechanic and his recommendation was to go the dealer route based on being the original owner and how close I was to the warranty. To get it covered, the repair must be done by GM and not another mechanic. I talked to several other mechanics in the area about it and even the shop that specializes in Saturns (used to work for Saturn before they closed) and said they wouldn't touch it either. We don't have a reliable tranny shop in town.

And to answer the other question - I used to fly as an instructor nav on the EC-130H Compass Call before I retired. Also have some time in ABCCC as an IN but only when they didn't have anyone else available. (Tried to reply to your email, but it didn't work)

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
homerec130

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Got the word back from GM on my tranny issue - sorry, but you are on your own. The date they used is a hard cutoff as it is a "special program" vs a warranty. The senior advisor even went back with the delivery date info and the fact the failure occurred within that 10 year range, but GM said the vehicle was mine even though I could not take possession of it on the day I did the paperwork, regardless of whether the vehicle was available to drive off the lot or not.

I did look into having someone else do the work on the tranny and the three places I looked into all quoted me around 4400 vs the 4600 the dealer quoted. When you add the charge of the tear down if I take it some where else plus the tow charge, I am just going to let the dealer do it. I figure if something comes up in the future, I have the leverage of I took it to the dealer.

But I do have to say, other than replacing the alternator a couple of years ago, and routine consumables, this was the first major expenditure on the vehicle.

Now, it anyone wants to make a donation to my transmission replacement fund...
Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #6
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerec130 View Post
Got the word back from GM on my tranny issue - sorry, but you are on your own. The date they used is a hard cutoff as it is a "special program" vs a warranty. The senior advisor even went back with the delivery date info and the fact the failure occurred within that 10 year range, but GM said the vehicle was mine even though I could not take possession of it on the day I did the paperwork, regardless of whether the vehicle was available to drive off the lot or not.

I did look into having someone else do the work on the tranny and the three places I looked into all quoted me around 4400 vs the 4600 the dealer quoted. When you add the charge of the tear down if I take it some where else plus the tow charge, I am just going to let the dealer do it. I figure if something comes up in the future, I have the leverage of I took it to the dealer.

But I do have to say, other than replacing the alternator a couple of years ago, and routine consumables, this was the first major expenditure on the vehicle.

Now, it anyone wants to make a donation to my transmission replacement fund...
Homer
To me, that's outrageous. Beyond $h!tty of them...missing it by a handful of days. Not even an effort to prorate it.

Are you really going to throw $4K at the car? I wouldn't. The car is probably not even worth $6K after you spend $4K on it.

Me personally, I would locate a used low mileage 6T70 and have it shipped to your local trans shop. Or....buy the 3-5-R kit and ship it to your local trans shop and tell them to install it.

I am sorry it turned out like it did. What is ridiculous is...after they treat you like this, why in the world would you ever buy another GM car? I wouldn't...ever...and I worked for GM in their engineering department. Idiots.

PS: will say further that my low mileage '09 Vue Redline has truly been an excellent car and continues to be. But based upon the fragility of the clutch pack issue with this trans, when knocking on the door of the warranty expiring on the trans, I will probably dump the car. With this trans, it is 'generally' not a matter of if, but rather when the trans explodes.

Last edited by gm7; 08-01-2017 at 07:04 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
homerec130

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

To close the loop on this saga. Seeing as GM refused to budge on the replacement, we ended up trading the Vue in on a used car.

The dealer had a 2105 Ford Fiesta with low miles and in great condition and at a decent price and got more than we expected on the trade. At least I didn't have to pay for them to take it off my hands. :-)

Thanks to all who offered their suggestions and ideas. Even though we bought it from the GM dealer, it isn't a GM product. I am still a little sour on the events that transpired and it may be a while before we get another GM.

I did try to talk my wife into letting me get a red Vette that listed for 90K, but all I got was the look.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #8
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Have to wonder about GM's thinking. A handful of days out of warranty. Pretty outrageous. Why would you buy another GM product ever?
The 'only' reason why GM offered an extended warranty is because so many
6T70 trans across GM's model line exploded...many at low mileage.

I hope you have enough room in the Fiesta. Would be a little small for my taste. My sister has the Focus hatch and she loves it.

Personally, I think you did the right thing by trading the car and not spending big bucks putting a trans in it.

As discussed, the problem with putting a 3-5-R clutch pack kit in the trans without removing it from the cradle is...the filter on the 6T70 is trapped between the two castings that comprise the trans case. Only way to ensure all the metal liberated from that clutch pack coming apart is out of the trans is to tear it down. Otherwise a lottery if just the clutch pack is replaced which many try and even with some success. Others have reported to not be as lucky and a PITA to try and not have function restored due to metal stuck in the trans. This is why a replacement trans is advised which can be pricey out of warranty. In any event, I believe you did the right thing to dump the car...which of course GM orphaned quite a while ago now and left us with a brand they no longer manufacture.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2017, 12:04 PM   #9
homerec130

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

I most likely won't buy another GM after 7 Saturns. My wife( Cathy) wants to get a Ford Taurus a little further down the road. We had one back in the late 80s and 90s and she really loved the ride. Our friends have one and Cathy really loves riding in it. I know if the Saturn we knew and loved was still here they would have done the right thing and fixed it.

The Fiesta is smaller than the Vue, but it will work for us. Granted the back seat is a little tight, but so was the one on the Vue. It is 99% of the time either me or just the two of us. She actually has more head room on her side and has found it easier to get in and out of than the Vue. It is a little lower than the 08, but with the swivel seat cushion she has the seat is about the same height as her 06 Vue. Don't need much cargo space as I don't carry much. This one is covered and the salesman laughed when I said it was big enough to stash a body or two.

Cathy also commented it has a better ride than the Vue (of course, it;s a car) and I found it is quite peppy.

I've been finding all the little easter eggs light the interior accent lighting. Also have to relearn their light setup and fin the satellite radio which it is listed as having. BTW, the car came with new tires and based on the good condition and a couple of the stickers on the door jamb it was a fleet car for someone. The Next PM Due stickers had a form number on them. Dealer said the fluids had just been changed.

The more I have been thinking about it and getting over the emotional aspect of having the car for so long, I agree, we did do the right thing and let it go.
I'll still be lurking on the boards as we still have the 06 even if it is to reminisce about the old days.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #10
gm7
Advanced Member

2009 VUE Red Line

Cheers Homer. Drive safe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation