SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #61
Sean R
Sean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: '00 SL1 LS4 V8 Sleeper Project

Here's a little video of taking it out for a drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT3M...wsmq1uv4yrxo0k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sean R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sean R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sean R is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #62
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

SeanR,
Awesome project!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:55 PM   #63
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Looking good so far. How much does it weigh with everything in it? Combined with the low sound deadening and plastic panels, you can definitely hear everything in that car. It is the most basic looking saturn until someone catches that exhaust note. Bet you could dust quite a few people. If you can keep the torque steer under control...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #64
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

What kind of fuel economy are you pulling? Over 20mpg?

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #65
Sean R
Sean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the rough

So I some exhaust work. I added a crossover pipe between the true duals just to see what the difference would be.

Here's a video comparing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m66dKZxaGQ4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sean R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2016, 07:00 PM   #66
colonelhogan44
Master Member
colonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of lightcolonelhogan44 is a glorious beacon of light

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
That was going to be my first question.

MechE - I make things!

EGR ADAPTERS AVAILABLE! $30 "reverse" $40 standard

1998 SL2 (gone, never forgotten)
2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
1987 Mercedes 300D
1993 Tracker 4x4
1996 Tracker 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:49 PM   #67
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

That H-Pipe sounds way smoother, than the true duals. That was an excellent choice for the exhaust system, and probably better for the engine exhaust flow balance as well.

This video has also been shared to my FB page, with a few tags for the friends of mine that like building cars.

I may never have the time, tools, or money to do something this awesome, but I will continue to support your efforts in making this project go viral.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #68
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Back before the last dinosaur laid down and died, I had an '83 Omni. I always figured that if I somehow ended up rich, I would need to be eccentric. Partly my plan was to have a collection of 3 Omnis - one as clapped out and rusty as my old ride, one restored to showroom condition, and one with a V8. I now have a new plan. The heck with the Omni, I just want an LS4 Saturn. Keep up the good work SeanR!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #69
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: '00 SL1 LS4 V8 Sleeper Project

Awesome!
I wish I could get away with something like that here.
Unfortunately it probably couldn't be made street legal in the PRC.
It might annoy a three eyed tree gnat or something.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #70
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Back before the last dinosaur laid down and died, I had an '83 Omni. I always figured that if I somehow ended up rich, I would need to be eccentric. Partly my plan was to have a collection of 3 Omnis - one as clapped out and rusty as my old ride, one restored to showroom condition, and one with a V8. I now have a new plan. The heck with the Omni, I just want an LS4 Saturn. Keep up the good work SeanR!
I actually seen a Dodge Omni Sleeper, out at Thompson Raceway. It toasted a tricked out Mitsubishi Ricer(Lancer EVO) that had its cool custom lime green paint job, 18" racing wheel with rubber band tires, a huge Foldger's exhaust, and an airplane wing bolted to the trunk.

The Dodge Omni looked completely stock, and still had its 13" factory steel wheels/tires on it. I say "sleeper" quite strongly, as I was able to hear its wastegate blow off while I was coming back down the return lane from my pass.

The Omni beat that car by almost an 1/8-mile.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #71
Sean R

I feel like I never actually drive it normal, so it spends most of the time in the high teens for gas mileage, it should probably be upper 20's though.

Here's a couple videos my buddy and I made last night. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFst2cWoEGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM2E4lAcYFc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #72
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean R View Post
I feel like I never actually drive it normal, so it spends most of the time in the high teens for gas mileage, it should probably be upper 20's though.

Here's a couple videos my buddy and I made last night. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFst2cWoEGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM2E4lAcYFc
I've never been able to do much to make a car faster and then drive it for economy. On occasion the state troopers will give me an idea of how efficient it is on gas, but other than that, usually making it faster/quicker means enjoying that extra power more often than not.

As for the comments from Walex191 and Saturn Night, it seems that both of you might have experienced one of the best stock sleepers ever made. The Omni GLH was so simple looking that people didn't see them coming. There is an owner here on Saturnfans as well.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215679

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:35 AM   #73
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

My Omni was no GLH- it had the castrated VW Rabbit motor and a 4 speed. My car before that was a Rabbit. The good old days, when aluminum V8's were exotic. My plan for excentricity was to put a cast iron 454 into the V8 omni. What SeanR has done is brilliant- preserved the layout, weight distribution, and handling.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #74
jerryR
jerryR is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
2001 SW2

Very nice work sean.

95 sw2, 01 sw2, 96 sw2, 04 ion

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jerryR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jerryR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jerryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #75
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

SeanR, just a heads up. The 5.3L LS4 is prone to oil consumption, similar to that of our stock 1.9L engines. Keep an eye on your oil level, and change it every 3-5k miles.

http://www.gmls4.com/index.php?topic=414.0

And yes, it is due to "stuck oil control rings".........

Ironically, LS engines are produced at our Saturn plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee, too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #76
Jeeprz!
Jeeprz! is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

- So anyway there I was...
I haven't been on here in some time but had an issue with my 98SC2 tonight and logged in to ask some questions in the tech forum.
After that I was thinking back to when I did my stock rebuild on mine and remembered thinking that when it comes time to finally retire it from DD use it might be fun to rip out the drive train and do a sbc rwd build as a dedicated drag strip toy just to play with because why the F not? these cars aren't worth anything anyway and they are pretty light and I recall it's been done before.
So I head on over here to S-Series mods to start a post to see if anyone recalls the v8 swaps or have any info on them and what do I come across but Sean R's thread! lol!!!
Dude that is pretty sweet swap you did, and it's road worthy to boot.
I don't know anything about LS4's but it makes me wonder if I could put one in my SC2 "someday" when it get's retired from DD status.
You stated that it took ALOT of hours and around $3500, to most car guys and gals the hours in the garage are the fun part (sitting around watching tv suks anyway) and $3500 is CHEAP if you ask me.
It would take some work and trial and error testing but to do a v8 rwd gutted drag car would be rather simple I think (says the guy who hasn't done it, lol)
BRAVO dude and please keep us updated!

"Officer, turning on your lights and siren just because you lost the drag race is just poor sportsmanship."

"Turtle" the Green 1998 SC2 Auto DOHC 160k that doesn't burn any oil!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeeprz!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeeprz! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jeeprz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #77
kaptnjack
kaptnjack will become famous soon enoughkaptnjack will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1994 SL2

bless you sean

92 SL2 A/T white
93 SL1 man burgundy
93 SL2 A/T turquoise
94 SL1 man medium blue
94 SL2 A/T gold
95 SW2 A/T white (daily driver)
97 SL2 A/T gold
99 SW1 A/T green
95 SW2 man gold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaptnjack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaptnjack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaptnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #78
Simon Rose
Simon Rose is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

It is not often when these crazy swap ideas make it out onto the shop floor and to the road! Awesome job and always remember, on a long enough time line everything gets an LS motor.

2002 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Simon Rose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Simon Rose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Simon Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #79
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Well I'm impressed this thing exists. Good job.

I watched the Foxbody race video and laughed at how much the thing squats under acceleration.

Keep up the good work.

'02 SL1 [w/ a snail-shaped muffler]
'06 Vue RL
Saturn Night is Special ED.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #80
brokendown
brokendown has a spectacular aura aboutbrokendown has a spectacular aura aboutbrokendown has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean R View Post
Eventually I want to start with a custom subframe using grand prix suspension and hubs for strength. Also there's an idea of turbo v8 awd floating in my head.

This project would be a real pain for most people. Lots of custom parts, some of them pretty expensive. Now with that being said, I'd probably entertain the idea of making and selling the parts that I spent hours developing.
Touching base 2.5 years later... i'd still be interested in the future. The idea of an LS swapped saturn is very appealing to me, esp if it didn't take hundreds and hundreds of hours of learning the hard way. I'd happily spend the $3500 or whatever you thought you spent in the future when I was more able to do so.

Quote:
I know someone with an Impala SS and i've seen their ticker show 24mpg in v8 mode and 28mpg in 4cyl mode. I know his is disabled but I would find it funny to be knocking down probably stock mileage despite triple the power of my SOHC 4cyl. A lighter more aero car like the SL should beat those figures I mean...

Quote:
Worst case scenario, you would have to go with a 4-speed auto, then I recommend the 1996 3800 Series-II Supercharged Transmission. Those things could harness the power of your engine. It was the ONLY YEAR that GM made a "heavy duty" automatic 4T65-E(electronically controlled) transmission.
The same trans should have been used with the vehicles the LS4 itself came in like the Impala SS - that's already a 300hp rated auto by design in a heavier car. I don't know if the 4t60/65 would fit as easily as the 5 speed he's using but if it did, perhaps modified narrowed axles and such are just one step further away... that whole package was designed to take 300hp for a long life remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Cavi's are J-Body and the more common Izuzu 5spd is crap even with the stock 2.2L (will require a Getrag or Muncie with that much power/torque).
Honestly if anybody knows about power handling of the 'FWD' transmissions it would be the Fiero guys who just have it mounted in the rear for a mid engine/rear drive config. Even the 4cyl muncies that had an overdrive gear were found to be reliable with a small block and the extra gears might almost be pointless.... i'd think a stickshift be slower than an automatic with all the spinning wheels I saw in the videos and the auto probably easier on the halfshafts... the main stick shifts i'm aware of from Fiero guys would be the Getrag 282 (common), Getrag 284 (rare, a bit stronger, not rebuildable), and whatever the 4cyl Muncie with the OD was which ppl implied was just as good behind mild small blocks as the v6 5 speeds.

If it were me i'd be amazingly happy with a stock power LS4 and auto powertrain in my daily driver, i'd still expect 30mpg highway from it but wouldn't have to worry about wind resistance while towing next time. :^) Hopefully in a year or two if there's any kind of further action on "parts avail for others" I might finally (for the first time in a decade) be in a position to do something like this for my daily driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brokendown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brokendown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brokendown is offline   Reply With Quote