SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #21
pj174208
pj174208 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: '00 SL1 LS4 V8 Sleeper Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
You wouldn't be the first, or the last. Channel your inner Shia and just do it.
Oh I am well aware, but this is just so different. And unique. At least more so than a turbo sc2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pj174208's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pj174208 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pj174208 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #22
xXPhasemanXx
xXPhasemanXx is on a distinguished road

1999 SL

How much money have you put into this? Looks awesome btw!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xXPhasemanXx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xXPhasemanXx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xXPhasemanXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:54 PM   #23
serenitythen
serenitythen has a spectacular aura aboutserenitythen has a spectacular aura aboutserenitythen has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

The design of the s-series cradle seems like the biggest headache of trying to swap anything in these Saturn's.
How or what modifications did you do to overcome this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to serenitythen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help serenitythen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
serenitythen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:36 AM   #24
Sean R
Sean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXPhasemanXx View Post
How much money have you put into this? Looks awesome btw!
Somewhere around $3500 I think???? I don't ever keep track of what I spend on my car hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitythen View Post
The design of the s-series cradle seems like the biggest headache of trying to swap anything in these Saturn's.
How or what modifications did you do to overcome this?
The biggest thing that got in the way was that front tubular piece. I cut that out and replaced with thick-wall square tubing in a more convenient spot. I also had to modify the passenger front area of the cradle to make room for my alternator. The correct way to go about this is completely starting over from scratch and using Grand Prix sized suspension parts to go to bigger bearings and axles. That's what I'll do next revision as well as LSD, turbo, A/C and maybe install powersteering on this factory manual steering car.

Last edited by Sean R; 03-10-2016 at 01:45 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sean R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sean R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sean R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #25
RobertJ
RobertJ will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean R View Post
Somewhere around $3500 I think???? I don't ever keep track of what I spend on my car hobby.
Very smart man!

Past Saturns:
2002 SC2 5-speed
1999 SL2 automatic
2001 SC1 automatic
Current Cars:
1996 Jeep Cherokee 5-speed
2016 Ford Focus ST 5-speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #26
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Sean R
Great job!

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #27
saturnhusker
saturnhusker is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

Can you do mine next lol I would love to see it at a track. I would like to see a Foose designed Saturn. Maybe when your done get in contact with Vin Diesel and see if he will use your Saturn in one of his up coming movies. Hows your suspension going handle cornering?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnhusker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnhusker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnhusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:07 AM   #28
Sean R
Sean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnhusker View Post
Can you do mine next lol I would love to see it at a track. I would like to see a Foose designed Saturn. Maybe when your done get in contact with Vin Diesel and see if he will use your Saturn in one of his up coming movies. Hows your suspension going handle cornering?
Let's see how mine turns out first!

It's going to handle really similar to stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sean R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #29
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

man i have always joked with my friends that i was going to do this same thing!! i have a 2nd 99 SL2 that runs/drives great but it would make a great donor car. the funny thing is my car is the same colors.

i love how you kept it FWD! i wish i could do the same to mine!! GOOD LUCK PLEASE keep us informed!!!! i wouldnt need my 85 LT1 MCSS. man and it would really be cheap and easy to fix and i can still use it as a daily.

one thing, is there a brake upgrade out there for the SL2?? i see you mention the GP front end parts can be used. are they a direct swap or is there a little massaging to be done? and i guess the chassis needs some stiffening for some abuse.

99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 87z16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 87z16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #30
Sean R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87z16 View Post
man i have always joked with my friends that i was going to do this same thing!! i have a 2nd 99 SL2 that runs/drives great but it would make a great donor car. the funny thing is my car is the same colors.

i love how you kept it FWD! i wish i could do the same to mine!! GOOD LUCK PLEASE keep us informed!!!! i wouldnt need my 85 LT1 MCSS. man and it would really be cheap and easy to fix and i can still use it as a daily.

one thing, is there a brake upgrade out there for the SL2?? i see you mention the GP front end parts can be used. are they a direct swap or is there a little massaging to be done? and i guess the chassis needs some stiffening for some abuse.
Thanks!

The grand prix suspension I was referring to would need to be a totally custom sub-frame ordeal with some CAD involved for suspension geometry. I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that it is very difficult to do a good no compromises big brake setup on a stock s-series front end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #31
Sean R

Update:

I've done some work tidying things up in the engine bay, but there is still a lot to be done in there. I also wanted to show more of the car itself to emphasize how stock this thing is actually going to look. I also took a couple videos. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/5zjULY8xjbk

Last edited by Sean R; 03-28-2016 at 05:18 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #32
Sean R

Here's a walk-around video with it running:

https://youtu.be/bv0xFHDDYCE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2016, 02:21 AM   #33
Mark121
Mark121 has a spectacular aura aboutMark121 has a spectacular aura aboutMark121 has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL2

Wow I'm speechless

But in the same time I want it

I want to see it running

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark121's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark121 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #34
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

all i can say is WOW!

99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 87z16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 87z16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #35
Slacker4Hire
Slacker4Hire is on a distinguished road

THIS, this is fricken awsome, cant wait to see it driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Slacker4Hire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Slacker4Hire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Slacker4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #36
Murphys_ghosy
Murphys_ghosy has a spectacular aura aboutMurphys_ghosy has a spectacular aura aboutMurphys_ghosy has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2

Fantastic work! I cannot wait to see the completed build

Were the LS electronics compatible with the Saturn dash cluster? I've been considering a far less cool 3800 swap into my spare and gutted SL1 and have been curious as to what must be done to get my SW2 cluster to work with it.

98 SW2 - 184k
04 Bonneville SE - 215k

RIP
99 SL1 - 167k organ donor/future rat rod
99 SL1 - 300k towed to car heaven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Murphys_ghosy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Murphys_ghosy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Murphys_ghosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #37
Sean R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphys_ghosy View Post
Fantastic work! I cannot wait to see the completed build

Were the LS electronics compatible with the Saturn dash cluster? I've been considering a far less cool 3800 swap into my spare and gutted SL1 and have been curious as to what must be done to get my SW2 cluster to work with it.
I used the saturn pcm to run run the gauges and the the LS pcm to run the engine if that makes sense. There are many ways to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2016, 03:53 PM   #38
Sean R

Update: almost finished

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOePZ0DG2OY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2016, 04:21 PM   #39
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Looks great. Looking forward for your dyno tests and time slips!

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #40
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean R View Post
It's still a single cam! I won't be lying.
Technically, it still only has 16 valves, too. Lolololol

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote