SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #41
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default Re: Bolt on hood struts

Finally got the struts on today. Two F-150 struts from rock auto, 2 bolts from an 03 Buick Lesabre, and 2 bolts from an 05 Chrysler 300. I originally bought a pair of bolts from the website trottida linked, but they where going in way to tight and I almost rounded one of them off trying to get it in.

Everything works almost perfectly but I'm having a problem with the hood closing. The drivers side closes just like before but the passenger side has a pretty big gap in it. It's hard to get a pic of but you can pretty easialy see into the hood, it definitely isn't water tight anymore. It looks like something is getting snagged causing it to not close all the way, and with how violently the hood pops now, that seems like it could be the case. Looking around though I can't see what it could be. It looks identical to the drivers side and that closes fine. Anyone have any ideas? Could I have bent something getting them on?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5114.jpg (165.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5115.jpg (121.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5116.jpg (132.8 KB, 15 views)

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #42
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

It's what you didn't bend that is the issue. I posted the same result. Towards the top end of strut you'll see a pinch roll weld between the fender and strut tower. Grab your favorite pair of pliers and bend it towards the strut. I could do a bit more to mine but is not noticeable at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #43
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996SW2 View Post
It's what you didn't bend that is the issue. I posted the same result. Towards the top end of strut you'll see a pinch roll weld between the fender and strut tower. Grab your favorite pair of pliers and bend it towards the strut. I could do a bit more to mine but is not noticeable at all.
That was it. Bent the weld in a little and everything lines up now. Thanks!

Something else I meant to add to my original comment was that when installing the studs, only the lower bolt hole on the hood works. I tried using the upper bolt at first since that makes more sense for better leverage but when I tried to close the hood, the strut fully compressed before the hood would close. That might just have to do with the specific brand I was using though so YMMV

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #44
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
Finally got the struts on today. Two F-150 struts from rock auto, 2 bolts from an 03 Buick Lesabre, and 2 bolts from an 05 Chrysler 300. I originally bought a pair of bolts from the website trottida linked, but they where going in way to tight and I almost rounded one of them off trying to get it in.
From a 2005 Chrysler 300? I read the compatible range as 1999-2004 and that subsequent generations are different.

So MacMaster-Carrs cross reference is not right then. I'm sorry I mislead you. Thanks for letting us know.

Quote:
That was it. Bent the weld in a little and everything lines up now. Thanks!

Something else I meant to add to my original comment was that when installing the studs, only the lower bolt hole on the hood works. I tried using the upper bolt at first since that makes more sense for better leverage but when I tried to close the hood, the strut fully compressed before the hood would close. That might just have to do with the specific brand I was using though so YMMV
Can you toss up a photo of the area that you bent please?

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:37 AM   #45
Zeebins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
From a 2005 Chrysler 300? I read the compatible range as 1999-2004 and that subsequent generations are different.
Yeah, 2005. I originally thought it had to be 99-04 too but the junkyard I went to only had an 05 and 06. I figured I might as well try them anyway and they worked. So it seems like the hood bolts can be from a 99-2010 Chrysler 300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Can you toss up a photo of the area that you bent please?
I didn't have to bend it much but it was just enough to get it to close right. The drivers side didn't need to be bent at all though so some people doing this might not have to worry about this part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5122.jpg (122.7 KB, 23 views)

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles
Powered by Plastic

Last edited by Zeebins; 12-21-2018 at 12:47 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #46
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Get the closed cell foam surround with a screen around the oval air intake and quit filling up the HVAC box with rain and snow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:58 AM   #47
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Get the closed cell foam surround with a screen around the oval air intake and quit filling up the HVAC box with rain and snow
He's referring to the area circled in red. You are missing a part here; a screen covering the hole with foam around the rim to keep water and debris out. This will also allow rodents into you HVAC system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen.JPG (104.4 KB, 16 views)

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #48
Zeebins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

I know I'm supposed to have a screen there but for as long as I've had the car I don't remember having one there. It was probably eaten away by mice at some point back when the car wasn't driven at all one winter. (Just look at my hood liner a few posts back.) I've never had a problem with water or mice getting in so I've never really bothers to fix it. Maybe they are and I just haven't been able to notice.

Where would I get a new one? Is it a part I can order online or something I could make myself? All the ones at the junkyard probable aren't in the best of condition either.

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #49
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
I know I'm supposed to have a screen there but for as long as I've had the car I don't remember having one there. It was probably eaten away by mice at some point back when the car wasn't driven at all one winter. (Just look at my hood liner a few posts back.) I've never had a problem with water or mice getting in so I've never really bothers to fix it. Maybe they are and I just haven't been able to notice.

Where would I get a new one? Is it a part I can order online or something I could make myself? All the ones at the junkyard probable aren't in the best of condition either.
My recommendation is just to go to a hardware store and get a 1" by 1" aluminum screen mesh along with a sheet of some type of rubber. Get a pair of sharp scissors and you'll have that little screen back in 10 minutes.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:06 AM   #50
1996SW2
1996SW2 is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2
2000 SW2

Anyone running dual struts notice if the lower ball stud has cracked out and pushed through fender mounting tab?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #51
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Measurements
--overall extended length: 21"
--cylinder length: 10 3/4"
--cylinder diameter: 15mm
--rod diameter: 6mm

Lower ball mounts on the strut tower on the inner fender with sheet metal screws. Upper ball mount is pop riveted to the hod channel. The upper and lower brackets are displaced a bit more than the fully closed length of the strut when the hood is closed. If dealing with an odd ball strut this is another thing to figure out. McMaster-Carr has the various ball studs.

If you need them I can measure that actual bracket placement.
Placement is a bit critical.
Quote:
If you match outer cylinder diameter and rod diameter you will be close enough that it will not make any real difference. This thing holds the hood up in major sub zero F weather. There is none to minimal hood deflection when starting to close the hood so it is not real aggressive.
Okay, I think I'm going to duplicate the RedLine solution. I'm going to buy a two pack of 10 mm ball studs with nuts, make the angle brackets myself and buy a single strut with similar dimensions to OldNuc's measurement of the RedLine. The struts are about $20 on Amazon and come in 40lb, 60lb, 80lb and 100lb ratings. I'm thinking 40 lb or 60 lb. Which one would you think would be better?
10mm Ball Stud (2 pack)

20 inch 40 lbs Gas Prop Lift Strut

20 inch 60 lbs Gas Prop Lift Strut
As I understand it if there is too much force your hood will open too forcefully and be hard to close. I came across a VW DIY which spec'd 250n force (~56lbs) for a VW Polo (aka Golf) and 350n (~78lbs) for a Passat. The 250n was perfect for the Polo as they had to do the initial lift and then the strut took over. I can't imagine the S Series hood to be more than a Golf hood.

I'm going to cut and paint some square steel tubing for the 2 angle brackets to mount the ball studs.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #52
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The RedLine spacing gives good leverage on holding and leverage on compressing the strut so 60LB is probably correct.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-25-2019, 07:27 PM   #53
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I did a test fit on my parts car and the 60 lbs strut seems to do the trick. I thought it might be too much but I could probably go up to 80 lbs. Here are some photos and videos of the action I took for reference.

A couple discoveries, the lower bracket needs to be angled to be vertical and you have to watch the height or it will hit the hood. A 90 degree angle bracket doesn't work. I made my own lower bracket so I just bent it to the right angle, trimmed it and repainted. The photos are of the prototype before adjustments and you'll note the hood touches it.

Also, a 21" strut or maybe even 22" might work better for spacing. The hood has a cut out profile and a fastener that is the optimal location for the 20" strut. It still works but the hood could be higher. It sits about an inch lower than it does using the stock prop rod.

You'll also note the strut bows a bit to the right; not sure if that can be corrected or not. It might be due to the angle of the prototype bracket.

I ended up buying these on Amazon for the upper bracket and the actual ones received are powder coated black which was favorable as I was going to paint them anyways.
JR Products BR-12553 10mm Angled Gas Spring Mounting Bracket
Anyways, next step is to apply it to my daily driver after the paint drys.
Hood Strut Mod Test Fit Video 1

Hood Strut Mod Test Fit Video 2

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Hood Strut Mod 1.jpeg (141.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpeg Hood Strut Mod 2 Upper Bracket.jpeg (118.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpeg Hood Strut Mod 3 Upper Bracket.jpeg (85.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpeg Hood Strut Mod 4 Lower Bracket.jpeg (119.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpeg Hood Strut Mod 5 Lower Bracket.jpeg (91.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpeg Hood Strut Mod 6 Height.jpeg (88.4 KB, 36 views)

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #54
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Just an update related to my test fit. I didn't pick up on this on the parts car but the bracket on the hood hits the fuse box. The causes the hood to be raised slightly on that edge. I either need a shorter bracket or possibly one that has an outside ball mount like this one >> JR Products BR-12552

Oldnuc, if you're still following this, what is the height measurement of the RedLine?

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #55
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I will check.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #56
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The overall extended length is 20" and the top mount is located just behind the UHJB top knob when the hood is closed and as you can see from the upper mount shot it is positioned as far to the left as possible. The red/black wire is the maintainer lead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190515_092026a.jpg (155.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190515_092126a.jpg (220.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190515_092239a.jpg (166.7 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #57
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
The overall extended length is 20" and the top mount is located just behind the UHJB top knob when the hood is closed and as you can see from the upper mount shot it is positioned as far to the left as possible. The red/black wire is the maintainer lead.
Sorry, the hood bracket dimension was what I was referring to. Distance from mount surface (hood) to the top of the bracket. The one I have is 31.19 mm and it touches the fuse box causing the hood to lift.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-15-2019, 01:37 PM   #58
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That side shot gives you an idea, it is as close to the mounting base as it can be and still allow the plastic end to snap on the ball and rotate. The base and the ball leg are at a 90 degree angle and the hood surface is at an angle to the horizontal that moves the ball to the left slightly.

Measurement from base mounting surface to ball stud centerline is 1/2". McMaster-Carr part# 9512K95 is a good match. Must be pop riveted into place so it all clears.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #59
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I found the Redline specifications for the bracket. The product number is RT-60-00001-4 and they actually sell them on Amazon in packs of 4 for $17.73 CAD(+15.54 shipping). They are a low profile bracket.

You're right, the McMaster'Carr is pretty close in spec. With $14 shipping to Canada it would cost me $18 USD ($24.15 CAD) for 2.

Amazon.ca - 10mm Ball-Stud Mounting Brackets (Pack of 4) Low Profile - Gas Strut Lift Support Fittings (Black Powder-Coated over Zinc-plating) RT-60-00001-4

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redline Bracket.jpg (25.7 KB, 12 views)

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #60
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The McMaster part number CAD info shows only 2 mounting holes and it and the redline part may actually be identical and are functionally identical for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!