SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Jess Lookin
Jess Lookin is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 VUE 3.0L
Default Bolt on hood struts

Took this from herpfreaks on sixthsphere.com for those of you without access.

Hood struts are from a 99 F150.
Larger bolts are from a 99 Chrysler 300.
Smaller bolts are from an 01 Buick LeSabre.
Enjoy !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood struts.jpg (69.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg strut bolts.jpg (81.1 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg drivers side hood strut.jpg (70.7 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg pass side hood strut.jpg (71.6 KB, 221 views)

01 SC2 - Miss Parker - a work in progress
00 SC2 - hibernating

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jess Lookin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jess Lookin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jess Lookin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Re: Bolt on hood struts

Very nice. Its hard to see in the pics...

Dis you put the ball-stud bolts into existing bolt holes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Jess Lookin

2001 SC2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Very nice. Its hard to see in the pics...

Dis you put the ball-stud bolts into existing bolt holes?
Yes. I used the back bolt on the hood, and the one in the fender is off by about an inch. You just compress the strut a little, and it goes right in.

00 SC2 - hibernating

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jess Lookin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
wi111y
Advanced Member
wi111y is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
1995 SW2

What are the bolts called? Ball studs? Would an advance auto have these parts or are they dealer only?

I'm definitely interested in doing this, every other car I've owned had hood struts..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wi111y's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wi111y reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wi111y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #5
freelancer1988
freelancer1988 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1995 SC2
Dazed Re: Bolt on hood struts

I am more interested in someone making a kit and I buying the so called kit. lol. like 15 plus shipping... Just saying...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to freelancer1988's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help freelancer1988 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
freelancer1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #6
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer1988 View Post
I am more interested in someone making a kit and I buying the so called kit.
http://www.redlinetuning.com/QL-SATU...RIES-9102.html

A bit on the expensive side, but a very good product (you get what you pay for). I've had mine for about a year now--the only problem is that I wish I had installed it sooner.

Obviously junkyard parts are going to be cheaper, and may work just as well, but most of these struts have a limited lifespan. I'd rather pay a bit more for the assurance that it will last a long time, and the convenience of a vehicle specific kit.

A single strut may seem a bit unbalanced/asymmetrical, but it holds the hood just fine, and it's nice to have clear access to the passenger side of the engine compartment.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I have the Redline part and agree completely with PCR. That being said the Ford truck used parts is a very nice low cost option for another approach.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Jess Lookin

2001 SC2
2002 VUE 3.0L

See, it looks to me like the Redline part is in the same spot as the prop rod. I don't like that spot, it sometimes gets in the way.

Rock Auto has the struts as low as $12.99 each. Grab the bolts from the pick and pull, and order the struts here;
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

00 SC2 - hibernating

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The redline is much further down on the hood than the prop rod. It is about a foot up from the hinge pivot on the fender and about 2 foot on the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Where you place the strut is a function of strut strength, open length and closed length. A short closed length strut will require a high holding force to hold the hood open when the lever arm is short.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
NickClubb86
NickClubb86 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Lookin View Post
Took this from herpfreaks on sixthsphere.com for those of you without access.

Hood struts are from a 99 F150.
Larger bolts are from a 99 Chrysler 300.
Smaller bolts are from an 01 Buick LeSabre.
Enjoy !
How well does the cheap version actually operate? Does it work like it should be there or is it a little funky?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NickClubb86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NickClubb86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NickClubb86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Jess Lookin

2001 SC2
2002 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickClubb86 View Post
How well does the cheap version actually operate? Does it work like it should be there or is it a little funky?
works perfectly. get the bolts from the yard, and order new struts from Rock auto if you're concerned about getting worn struts. I really like how they are completely out of the way too.

00 SC2 - hibernating

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2018, 12:54 AM   #13
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Shot in the dark here, but would anyone know a good replacement for the 99 Chrysler 300 bolt? Amazon and eBay yield the incorrect part, my junkyard had 1 Chrysler 300 like this but had no hood. Anyone know the specific part number who have done this?

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
Shot in the dark here, but would anyone know a good replacement for the 99 Chrysler 300 bolt? Amazon and eBay yield the incorrect part, my junkyard had 1 Chrysler 300 like this but had no hood. Anyone know the specific part number who have done this?
Found the Chrysler 300 bolts, harder than I thought to find one of these in a JY that wasn't destroyed to bits. Really great mod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturnstrut.jpg (53.5 KB, 53 views)

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #15
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ looks great! and nice clean engine, too

I really need to do this . . .

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #16
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
^ ^ ^ looks great! and nice clean engine, too

I really need to do this . . .

I have an extra set of the bolts for the mod if you'd like them. jpsuli beat me to the punch and finally got a set for himself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #17
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

This seems like a fun mod to do one weekend. How hard are the parts to come by in the junkyard? And are there other cars they can come from other then the 3 listed in the original post?

1997 SL2, 116K miles