SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Engine cradle swap; tranny swap

I'm bored so I think I'll make a trip to local Pull A Part.

I checked the swap sticky... Seems that engine cradles 93 and up will interchange.
Are coupes and sedans and wagons the same? (I have a '97 SL)

also, will look for a spare tranny- Mine is a SOHC 5 speed 1997, where is the identifying mark on the tranny? I understand that there are different manual trannies.

Thanks!

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Engine cradle swap; tranny swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
I'm bored so I think I'll make a trip to local Pull A Part.

I checked the swap sticky... Seems that engine cradles 93 and up will interchange.

also, will look for a spare tranny- Mine is a SOHC 5 speed 1997, where is the identifying mark on the tranny? I understand that there are different manual trannies.

Thanks!
Yes, within the same year the cradles are the same across all models. I can't speak to the years that interchange, but I know most do.

There are 2 stamps on the upper bellhousing of the transmission. One is pretty deep, and easy to find, but won't tell you if it's an MP2 or MP3. The one that will is a much more subtle stamp that you won't be able to see if the trans is dirty, and you'll have a hard time spotting when it's clean. A long aphanumeric will start with MP2 or MP3. Simplest way to know which it is, though, is that SOHC's came with MP2s, DOHC's came with MP3's. Unless someone has swapped the trans of course.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
1994 and up. Dont get a 1991-1993.

Sedan, wagon, coupe, SOHC, DOHC, auto, and manual cradles are all the same.

1991, the mount provisions are different. 1992/1993 puts the radiator in a diffrent position. You could use a 92/93 cradle. If you buy a 91-93 radiator.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

10-4
thanks a ton!

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
driveitforlife
driveitforlife is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1
Wrench Re: Engine cradle swap; tranny swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
1994 and up. Dont get a 1991-1993.

Sedan, wagon, coupe, SOHC, DOHC, auto, and manual cradles are all the same.

1991, the mount provisions are different. 1992/1993 puts the radiator in a diffrent position. You could use a 92/93 cradle. If you buy a 91-93 radiator.
So, may I replace the bent cradle on my 1993 SL1 with a cradle from a 1991 SL1? Or do the different mount provisions you mention above rule out a good fit? Thank you.

Driveitforlife
1993 SL1 267K. Rusting but running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to driveitforlife's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help driveitforlife reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
driveitforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:02 AM   #6
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveitforlife View Post
So, may I replace the bent cradle on my 1993 SL1 with a cradle from a 1991 SL1? Or do the different mount provisions you mention above rule out a good fit? Thank you.

Driveitforlife
1993 SL1 267K. Rusting but running.

You should be able to use any 91-93. The radiator mounts are different on the early cars. I do remember a thread here where somebody was able to make a later cradle fit (KingRex??). But your better off just getting an early rust free cradle.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #7
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
You should be able to use any 91-93. The radiator mounts are different on the early cars. I do remember a thread here where somebody was able to make a later cradle fit (KingRex??). But your better off just getting an early rust free cradle.
That was probably me. I have a 1994+ (unsure of year) cradle in my 1993 SW2. I had to bend the upper radiator mounts to get the radiator to fit, though a later model radiator isn't a bad idea if you're swapping cradles.

The larger issue is the fact that in 1992-3 cars have the upper transaxle mount attach to a bracket on the subframe and 1994+ cars have this mount attach to the side of the space frame. So a 1994+ cradle lacks this bracket. I was able to purchase a bracket new, though if your bracket on the old subframe is still in good shape, perhaps you can salvage it and drill the holes in the new subframe to mount it. This would be much easier to do while the new subframe is out of the car, rather than when it is in the car, like when I did it.

This picture from the FSM shows the bracket on the subframe so you can see what I'm talking about:

This post shows a picture of the bracket I purchased. I got it from GMParts4u.com from their "vintage" collection.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 204,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote