SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
Badman
Badman is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default ABS/Traction Control making noise

Ok again another problem I hope you have insight on. During stopping on the ice the left side wheel or some where in that area it makes a noise like gears being stripped. After I stop i try to go and the TC kicks in and the same noise in there again. Has anyone heard of this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Badman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Badman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Badman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1
Default Re: ABS/Traction Control making noise

I don't have an Aura but that sounds like a normal stop on solid ice. Anti lock brakes get a real work out on pure ice, I once went down a long steep driveway that was basically solid ice in my Ram 3500 I pushed the brake peddle to the floor at least 10 times and it sounded like the wheels were going to fall off. BTW I did set the ABS light. My 95 SL1 also makes quite a racket when stopping on ice.

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

My car does that too. I think it is just the abs doing its job. It sounds like a grinding noise like RRrrRRrrRRrrRRrr. I am pretty sure the traction control uses the abs to make one wheel stop to give it traction. Sounds like a clicking sound almost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Have you ever driven a car with ABS/TC and encountered poor road conditions conducive to ABS activation and felt the immediate "foot massage" in the brake pedal when braking? Some time spent reading your owner's manual may help to descibe what occurs when loss of traction control in braking or acceleration occurs. Many parts of this country with extreme snow/ice/wet roads will have drivers stepping on their brakes and suddenly feel their brake pedal vibrating along with unusual noises under the hood, directly by the brake master cylinder area; the ABS motor activating and several ABS brake valves rapidly opening and closing causing the loud vibrations. All to help regain traction control while stopping without sliding or skidding off the road. Once understood, it will be a warning of overspeeding in poor road conditions. Tread very lightly where driving in these conditions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
bleedscarlet
bleedscarlet is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

I don't know exactly what sound you're hearing so I can't tell you if it's normal or not, but ABS and TC are not quiet systems. They do make a decent amount of noise.

Foot massage :lol: I've never heard that before, but it's quite accurate. I'm gonna remember that one.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
http://www.avi-nation.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bleedscarlet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bleedscarlet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bleedscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Badman
Badman is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I have never heard the noise before the ice came so I dont know if its normal. My ford Escape has ABS but I never hear any noise from the engine bay like the AURA has. I do feel the "foot message in both. Thx for the post its helps tremendously.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Badman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Badman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its not unusual for the majority of drivers never driving above posted speed limits and then encountering extreme driving conditions (recently) to brake and suddenly find unusual braking sensations; the anti-lock braking system automatically activating (loudly) and giving a foot massage. The giveaway/hint to knowing that you're driving above the safe speed conditions is when ABS activates when braking; you're already going faster than road conditions permit as the brakes are trying to lock up but ABS is preventing it by quickly determining when to brake/release/brake/release/etc.. until the car is stopped as long as the brake pedal is pressed and loss of traction is encountered from any wheel. No one can humanly cycle the brakes faster, no one despite arguments to the contrary. The foot massage, when safely activated, will allow steering control and perhaps safe stopping when appreciated for its limited abilities. To count on it as a last second bailout is the same as reckless behavior that drivers learned the hard way years ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

The "sound" and pedal "vibration" are normal. I have TC and ABS on all my cars (GM and Ford), and they all make this noise on slippery pavement. I have also had it happen on gravel, sand and even wash-board road conditions when stopping. As a matter of fact, on severly wash-board pavement at intersections I have had the ABS blow me right through stop lights and into the traffic lanes - barely missing other cars. In a car without ABS, this would not have happened. So ABS is not ideal in all road conditions. However, the positives outweigh the negatives most of the time.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote