SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Colorado Doug
Colorado Doug is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2
Default Need Help / Advice With '98 SW2 Collision Repair...

Hi, Folks - I just found your forum, and I could use some help with getting my dear Saturn wagon back on the road.

My wife and two girls were in an accident in my 1998 SW2 last week Ė thankfully the family is bumped a little but okay; however, the car did not fare so well. The other driver was at fault and the insurance company has declared the car as a total loss, but I have elected to take the money, keep the car, and pursue repairs. The wagon is loaded including leather interior, ABS & traction control, 110,000 miles, and burns a little oil but otherwise runs like a sewing machine. I work in the back office of an auto repair shop and I have been in contact with a good auto body shop; indications so far are that I can get the repair work done within budget. I would like to outline my plan of attack and have you folks critique it, let me know if you think Iím missing anything, tell me your stories, offer encouragement, etc. Iíll also try to upload a couple of photos for your reference.

The right rear quarter was hit from the rear, missing the tailgate, and pushed the quarter just a little forward so the right rear door doesnít quite fit. Right rear suspension was damaged but structural damage is mostly higher rather than lower. Anticipated components to be replaced are as follows:

Suspension crossmember (right)
Front & rear lateral arms (right)
Trailing arm (right)
Knuckle / hub / bearing assembly (right)
Rear struts (possible)
Right rear wheel (possible)
Right rear quarter panel skin
Rear bumper assembly (impact bar, absorber, & cover)
Right taillight assembly

The body shop doesnít think they will have any problem straightening out the structural components so that the door, quarter panel, & suspension will all fit properly when going back together. We have a top-notch suspension / alignment guy at the shop where I work, so I may tap him to do some of the repairs in that area. I have found one source for a new replacement quarter panel (autopartspeople.com, also comes up as trademotion.com) but I could use some help with additional parts sources. I havenít started checking local salvage yards yet, but I expect that salvage will be the best / most economical source for the suspension components and maybe the rear bumper. I fiddle with older cars in my spare time and I know how to turn a wrench, so I may try a couple of U-Pull-It places to try to get some or all of the pieces and keep the cost down. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1998-SW2-Damage1.jpg (119.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 1998-SW2-Damage2.jpg (114.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1998-SW2-Damage4.jpg (107.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Colorado Doug; 09-29-2009 at 10:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Colorado Doug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Colorado Doug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Colorado Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Need Help / Advice With '98 SW2 Collision Repair...

Glad everyone's OK!
Quote:
the insurance company has declared the car as a total loss, but I have elected to take the money, keep the car, and pursue repairs.
Good call, sounds like a great car! Sounds like a good plan you have; for used parts, try www.car-part.com

Some good diagrams of the exterior panels remove/replace, plus other good info at Low Saturn's web site

and welcome to the forums!

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Colorado Doug
Colorado Doug is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

Another question - any help on year / model interchange of rear suspension components? I have been searching through the old threads, and I can't find anything definitive on that subject, and I seem to be running into some differentiation between SW1 & SW2 parts for the same model year. If anyone knows or if you can just point me to a thread where this is already laid out, that would be great.

- Doug

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Colorado Doug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Colorado Doug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Colorado Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Melissa_M
Advanced Member
Melissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the roughMelissa_M is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

try this http://saturnwiki.org/index.php/Swap_Guide

Melissa_M

1999 SL2 MANUAL ~78K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Melissa_M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Melissa_M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Melissa_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Springs differ between body styles, but are totally interchangeable. Safe bet would be to buy a pair from the same donor vehicle. Are you sure the spring is shot? AFAIK, all other suspension components are the same across all models, except for the obvious sway bar difference.

An aftermarket quarter panel will fit poorly. You're better off with a salvage part. The cherry would be one of the same color; alas, it's the most model-specific panel on the car. The good thing is, it's so light it's easy/cheap to ship, so a distant salvage yard should be able to ship one.

Trademotion is just a hosting site. What is the actual business you're dealing with?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote