SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
Saturn #4
Saturn #4 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1996 SL1
Default Easier to Swap engine, or swap tranny?

OK, so gold '96 has choco milkshake coolant, red '94 has tranny popping out of gear while driving (both auto). Problem appeared after tranny ran completely out of fluid (bad friend for not checking fluid...bad me for not fixing leak before selling).

Gold '96 is "prettier" - has body/interior that are in better shape, RKE, etc. but has salvage title. Only 112k miles
Red '94 has dings/dents/ some wear, etc, odometer broken but nothing horrible.

Soo...the question is, is it better to swap the tranny from the gold car to the red one, or to put the engine from the red one into the gold car?

Gold tranny has reverse slam, but not bad...hadn't had a chance to try reverse slam "cure" before milkshake syndrome appeared. Hasn't affected driving.

Red engine has a tensioner(?) squeal, and probably about 140-150k miles - gets great mileage though. Squeal goes away if you stop and re-start the engine.

It may matter --- Emissions sticker on '94 says "NB", while the sticker on the gold '96 says "CB" --what do those letters mean?

6- '95 SL1 Gold - 58k mile!
5- '98 SL2 Pearl
#4 - '96 SL1 Lt Teal
3- '96 SL1 Gold -SUV vs SL2, = a draw
2- '97 SL1 Silver - Carjacked.
1- '94 SL1 Red- sold 2 friend

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn #4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn #4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn #4 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Easier to Swap engine, or swap tranny?

Swapping the transmission is easier if you don't have access to an elaborate shop equipped with a lift. However, in the end I don't think swapping the engine is much more difficult. I've never done either myself. I'm just going off of my knowledge of these cars. Somebody who has done this before could certainly have a different opinion.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 194K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 41K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The '96 is def. the preferred car to commission, esp. since it will be easier to support (salvage yard part supply, etc.) in years to come. You'll need to use the '96 fuel rail.

Alternative - I dunno automatics, but ask around here if the '94 tranny problem might be solved with a new valve body. In fact, you might be able to transplant the valve body from the '96 into the '94. That would be the least work, if it worked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
P.DADDY
P.DADDY is on a distinguished road

2000 SW1

If you are going through the top, you have to pull the engine to remove the tranny. On the other hand, the tranny can stay in the car if you are just swapping motors. So my answer would be...the engine swap would be a little easier and less time consuming. Just my two cents, I've changed out three trannys and one engine tranny combo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to P.DADDY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help P.DADDY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
P.DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
Chaotic66
Chaotic66 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
2008 AURA XE
Default Engine swap questions

I have a 99 sl2 with a broken timing chain cover. I have the chance to get an 01 with a blown trans. Should I use the 01 motor in the 99 or the 99 trans in the 01?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaotic66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaotic66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaotic66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Wouldn't changing the timing cover be easier then swapping one of those out? Changing the engine or the transmission is a heck of allot of work and best not if you don't have to. ( I had to swap my trans twice right, one after the other...)

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 240,000+ miles and purring smooth.
My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #7
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

The 94 to 96 engine swap is going to have an issue with the EGR valve.

Highmile
'95 SL1 597k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote