SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
lkly2l
lkly2l is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Question 96 SC2 5 sp, no start, no spark

Help please! I've changed my alternator last saturday and now the car won't start. Prior to this the car starts fine on warm days. On cold days it was having a tough time starting up. I changed the alternator because the battery light was on. I've since rechecked the alternator hook up. It looks good. The engine turns over, but won't start. I've made sure the crank pulley is turing when cranking by marking its position with chalk. It does. I checked for resistance of all spark plug wires, they're all good. I also checked for spark across the coil secondary terminals and found none. I've replaced the crankshaft position sensor and both ignition coils but still no spark. I've check for voltage and ground at the ignition module connector when the ignition switch is on and they both are okay. I've also checked for fuel pump pressure by pushing on the Shrader valve and felt the gasoline squirt out with pressure. I pulled all fuses from both the engine compartment and inside the car and checked for continuity. They're all good. My next guess would be either the ignition module or the PCM. I'm trying to limit the guessing as much as possible since it's beginning to get expensive now.

I read on a previous thread where a similar thing happened to a 95 SC, but in that case it turned out to be the starter not actually cranking the engine over. In my case the engine does crank over since the chalk mark moved after cranking. However, I did noticed that the tachometer does not move when cranking. Doesn't this indicate that the CPS signals aren't reaching either the PCM or the ignition module? Please help!

By the way, does anyone know how the check the resistance across the primary windings on the ignition coils? Just curious.

Last edited by lkly2l; 04-05-2009 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: typos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lkly2l's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lkly2l reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lkly2l is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
paulo
paulo will become famous soon enoughpaulo will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 96 SC2 5 sp, no start, no spark

Since you have replaced the crankshaft position sensor and there is still no spark between the coil towers. I would switch the two coil towers and check to see if the no spark location changes. (I am assuming that there is spark between one coil pack but not the other) If the no spark does not move with the switching of the coil packs-the ignition control moduole is suspect. If the no spark moves with the switching of the coil packs-the coil pack is suspect. I would also try cleaning of the ignition control module's backing plate and fouir fastening bolts, since they provide grounding. If all fails, a junk yard coil pack with ignition control moduole is what I did to solve this problem. New ones are pricy.
Sorry I missed that you replaced both coil packs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Check your CPS again. Make sure it is seated properly. Richpin has 2 videos. One on how to replace the CPS and another on how to check to make sure the CPS is outputting a signal.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
lkly2l

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
Check your CPS again. Make sure it is seated properly. Richpin has 2 videos. One on how to replace the CPS and another on how to check to make sure the CPS is outputting a signal.
I think this may be a very good idea. Fdryer also suggested to check the cps seating. Since I'm not getting any movement at the tachometer, the cps might not be seated correctly. I do recall a residual gap even after I bolted the sensor down. I watched Richpin's video and saw that there shouldn't be any gap. I think the cps is hung up at the o-ring and not seating down completely...therefore no signals generated. I will definitely check on this later on this week when the temperature is more tolerable. Thanks for the hint. I will let you know what I find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lkly2l reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

When you install it see if you can twist it as the o-ring enters the hole. That should keep it from hanging up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
lkly2l

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
That was it! There was a 1/8 inch gap between the CPS and the engine block. After I push in the CPS, the car started up after a few cranks. I should have known better. Thanks for the advice! It would have taken me another week to figure this out as I was too frustrated to think straight. You guys are great!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!