SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
sc95auto
sc95auto is on a distinguished road

Default belt tensioner/removal of serp belt

i want to make sure i am not screwing this up. i turned the nut in the center of what i assume is the belt tensioner to remove the serp belt and rather than the pulley moving to release the tension the nut rotates. if i turn the nut counterclockwise it adds tension to the belt. but if i turn it clockwise the nut just rotates. whats the deal? if i keep turning it clockwise will it eventually loosen the tension so i can remove the belt?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc95auto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc95auto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc95auto is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1
Default Re: belt tensioner/removal of serp belt

I've never seen any nuts on the tensioner.
Normally there is a bolt with a large washer under the head attaching the pulley to the tensioner arm.

Assuming that's what you're wrenching on, it sounds like the bolt (or the mating threads in the arm which is more likely since that's aluminum) is stripped. I'd suggest cutting the belt off and installing a new tensioner which threads into the engine front cover with two bolts. Be careful to torque these to spec, if those get stripped, it's bad news.

FWIW I always remove the engine mount (with a floor jack under the engine oil pan) because you can improve access to the engine depending on whether it is jacked up or lowered down. Also don't be shy about using a pry bar or 2x4 to shove the engine/trans towards the driver side for more clearance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: belt tensioner/removal of serp belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc95auto View Post
i want to make sure i am not screwing this up. i turned the nut in the center of what i assume is the belt tensioner to remove the serp belt and rather than the pulley moving to release the tension the nut rotates. if i turn the nut counterclockwise it adds tension to the belt. but if i turn it clockwise the nut just rotates. whats the deal? if i keep turning it clockwise will it eventually loosen the tension so i can remove the belt?
Well, thanks for confirming what some of us other novices have uncovered - it is not as easy as others make it appear. I tried to play with the tensioner once just to see if I was on the right track thinking that I might try to replace the belt myself one day. That tensioner sure seems to be VERY tight in holding that belt in place as I didn't appear to loosen it at all after giving it a good tug.

Ever looked at Richpin06's videos? He can remove and install one in about two minutes - three tops.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 08/08/19: 234,408 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote