SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
Mongoose159
Mongoose159 is on a distinguished road

Default Wheel Spacers

Ok fellas i have a friend that works in a machine shop. Has any of u guys made your own wheel spacers? Or is that too risky of a project? I know i have to get longer lugs, but other than that whats all involved? Or should i just save my money and go the sps route? Just trying to save a buck Jesc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mongoose159's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mongoose159 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2002, 04:44 PM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

This maybe an obvious question but....Why not just put on wheels that FIT?

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2002, 05:07 PM   #3
Fat Whacker
Fat Whacker is on a distinguished road

In my case, I have wheels that fit thank-you. They are the stock rims. I can't afford to get new rims at this point and time, but I want to solve the narrow rear wheel stance problem. So getting some of the wheel spacers are a cost efficeint resolution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fat Whacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fat Whacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2002, 05:32 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

I not trying to be difficult here but what you are proposing to do, if as you said will require "longer wheel studs" will extent the wheel tire assembly futher out into (and perhaps beyond) the wheel/fender opening...(illegal in most states) This will alter the caster/camber and tracking of the rear suspention as well as severly over taxing the lug studs and rear hubs as well as the rear suspension links and struts. Proceed at your peril as you will cause damage to the rear suspension if left over time and possibly cause a dangerous handling issue.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2002, 05:36 PM   #5
SIYAM
Advanced Member
SIYAM is on a distinguished road

I don't think they want to extend it that far. Just a little wider than the too narrow stock. I just put stock wheels back on my car... and it is so horribly retarded looking in back now...

Ian

http://www.qksltwo.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SIYAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SIYAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2002, 06:44 PM   #6
nitrofumesrule!
nitrofumesrule! is on a distinguished road

You don't need longer studs with the SPS 5mm spacers. I have them and it really helps the rear look better, stance wise. $45 bucks is kinda steep, you might check local shops that sell wheels. They usually have a selection of spacers, might be cheaper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nitrofumesrule!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nitrofumesrule! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2002, 08:22 PM   #7
Fat Whacker
Fat Whacker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfman
I not trying to be difficult here but what you are proposing to do, if as you said will require "longer wheel studs" will extent the wheel tire assembly futher out into (and perhaps beyond) the wheel/fender opening...(illegal in most states) This will alter the caster/camber and tracking of the rear suspention as well as severly over taxing the lug studs and rear hubs as well as the rear suspension links and struts. Proceed at your peril as you will cause damage to the rear suspension if left over time and possibly cause a dangerous handling issue.
I could see how that may be the case if your trying to be all gansta like and have the rims hang out of your wells 6-8 inches, but we are talking about 5mm on each side. And like the previous reply said, you don't need longer studs. So the wheel will remain well inside the wheel well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fat Whacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fat Whacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2002, 01:36 AM   #8
Mongoose159
Mongoose159 is on a distinguished road

Yeh fellas, i'm not looking to make it all "gangsta" style just a few 5-7 mm. I just didn't see the different being worth the money from SPS. And unfortunately there are not a lot of wheel places to check. I have the stock teardrops, they do fit trust me. But want that wider stance, thats all. Jesc

Stock threads work? I thought that would be a little shady(not enough thread). Thanks for the input

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mongoose159's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mongoose159 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-24-2002, 03:19 PM   #9
WHITE98SL2
Advanced Member
WHITE98SL2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Mongoose159
Yeh fellas, i'm not looking to make it all "gangsta" style just a few 5-7 mm. I just didn't see the different being worth the money from SPS. And unfortunately there are not a lot of wheel places to check. I have the stock teardrops, they do fit trust me. But want that wider stance, thats all. Jesc

Stock threads work? I thought that would be a little shady(not enough thread). Thanks for the input

I bought the American Racing wheel (estrella 95) and the wheel is 15x7 which pushed the wheels out 2.50 inches all-together and gives a nice look to the 98 SL2. The wheels ran $75.00 a piece and I like the look of them better than wheels that cost twice as much. You could consider dumping the factory wheels and replace them with something similiar. The estrellas weigh the same as the factory alloys. Just something to consider.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WHITE98SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WHITE98SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread