SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #61
ZuluKono
ZuluKono is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
Default Re: 1998 Saturn SL2 won't start when parked on driveway incline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SaturnSL2Bett View Post
.......so not sure how seriously I was supposed to be taking these attempts.

So you're telling me there's a chance?
I'm most assuredly a man,
and I have no doubt you're a woman.
Actually, I was just being silly.
I sincerely hope you get your Saturn fixed with no more tows.
But, ya know, if you're ever in Idaho.......

All GM, all the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ZuluKono's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ZuluKono reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ZuluKono is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #62
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My apology to alordofchaos and 98 SaturnSL2Bett for not reading posts when "Installed all of these things." was below the list of parts. I too sometimes read too quickly and miss the details.

With 140k miles, there can be age related parts that won't announce their demise thru an error code. They'll fail slowly and mask themselves where parts are thrown at the car in hopes one of them fixes the problem. This might be that type of problem.

Fuel pumps, catalytic converters, ignition coils and throttle position sensor are some parts that rarely give error codes. Since there are no freshness dates for fuel pumps, one way to check would be using a fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel rail test valve. Listening to the pump run is one thing, assessing actual pressures is another and more accurate with a pressure gauge. Either the repair shop can do this or you can borrow a fuel pressure gauge from AutoZone. Pumps can last all the way to the junk yard or die any time during new car warranty or afterwards. Mine failed in another state; left the car while a relative picked us up. I called insurance company to tow it to my repair shop and $650 later a new pump restored my car back to normal. The towing fees would have been around $600 if I didn't have a tow policy with my insurance. Mine simply died at around 85k miles. My car was 15 yrs old. Pumps failing intermittently are some of the worse problems since they're fine one moment then not so fine the next moment. A pressure gauge can help when the engine won't start to actually see if the pump is generating pressure. Hearing the pump doesn't indicate if its generating pressure. Another issue may be a disintegrating catalytic converter.

Catalytic converters (catcons) tend to disintegrate internally with few warnings and rarely any error codes. Some hear sounds like marbles when the engine's running. Most damaged catcons strangle the exhaust system to create the equivalent of engine constipation - the engine can't run if the exhaust system is blocked. Symptoms like a no start (completely blocked exhaust system), loss of power while attempting to accelerate, car won't drive normally, rotten egg smell. The best way to check for a damaged catcon is to remove the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold closest to the engine. This is the upstream sensor right on the exhaust manifold next to the engine. The downstream O2 sensor is after the catcon. Removing the O2 sensor before the catcon allows an alternate exhaust path. The small hole is sufficient to allow many engines to suddenly show renewed power when starting up and driving around the block. The exhaust will be LOUD but is one way to determine if the catcon is blocking exhaust from flowing out. The O2 sensor usually corrodes and seizes where an O2 sensor socket tool is needed to break it loose. I assume most repair shops have one. Borrowing this tool from AutoZone as a free loaner lets diyers have a tool for one time use without buying it. A deposit or credit card is used as collateral.

When the engine refuses to startup, connecting a fuel pressure gauge immediately can determine if in fact the fuel pump is generating pressure or not. You should expect full pressure as soon as the gauge is connected and ignition turned on. The engine doesn't need to be started. With the gauge securely connected to the fuel test valve, starting shouldn't show a large drop in pressure and if the engine starts up, pressure should remain steady.

Last edited by fdryer; 10-19-2019 at 02:01 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #63
98SaturnSL2Bett
98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
My apology to alordofchaos and 98 SaturnSL2Bett for not reading posts when "Installed all of these things." was below the list of parts. I too sometimes read too quickly and miss the details.

With 140k miles, there can be age related parts that won't announce their demise thru an error code. They'll fail slowly and mask themselves where parts are thrown at the car in hopes one of them fixes the problem. This might be that type of problem.

Fuel pumps, catalytic converters, ignition coils and throttle position sensor are some parts that rarely give error codes. Since there are no freshness dates for fuel pumps, one way to check would be using a fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel rail test valve. Listening to the pump run is one thing, assessing actual pressures is another and more accurate with a pressure gauge. Either the repair shop can do this or you can borrow a fuel pressure gauge from AutoZone. Pumps can last all the way to the junk yard or die any time during new car warranty or afterwards. Mine failed in another state; left the car while a relative picked us up. I called insurance company to tow it to my repair shop and $650 later a new pump restored my car back to normal. The towing fees would have been around $600 if I didn't have a tow policy with my insurance. Mine simply died at around 85k miles. My car was 15 yrs old. Pumps failing intermittently are some of the worse problems since they're fine one moment then not so fine the next moment. A pressure gauge can help when the engine won't start to actually see if the pump is generating pressure. Hearing the pump doesn't indicate if its generating pressure. Another issue may be a disintegrating catalytic converter.

Catalytic converters (catcons) tend to disintegrate internally with few warnings and rarely any error codes. Some hear sounds like marbles when the engine's running. Most damaged catcons strangle the exhaust system to create the equivalent of engine constipation - the engine can't run if the exhaust system is blocked. Symptoms like a no start (completely blocked exhaust system), loss of power while attempting to accelerate, car won't drive normally, rotten egg smell. The best way to check for a damaged catcon is to remove the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold closest to the engine. This is the upstream sensor right on the exhaust manifold next to the engine. The downstream O2 sensor is after the catcon. Removing the O2 sensor before the catcon allows an alternate exhaust path. The small hole is sufficient to allow many engines to suddenly show renewed power when starting up and driving around the block. The exhaust will be LOUD but is one way to determine if the catcon is blocking exhaust from flowing out. The O2 sensor usually corrodes and seizes where an O2 sensor socket tool is needed to break it loose. I assume most repair shops have one. Borrowing this tool from AutoZone as a free loaner lets diyers have a tool for one time use without buying it. A deposit or credit card is used as collateral.

When the engine refuses to startup, connecting a fuel pressure gauge immediately can determine if in fact the fuel pump is generating pressure or not. You should expect full pressure as soon as the gauge is connected and ignition turned on. The engine doesn't need to be started. With the gauge securely connected to the fuel test valve, starting shouldn't show a large drop in pressure and if the engine starts up, pressure should remain steady.

Thanks so much for this fryer. I appreciate your incredibly thorough explanation. I'm pretty sure Dad had fuel pressure readings that showed it was good (one of the things billr was after me for). I just don't know what those numbers were, but I'm pretty positive Dad checked that, felt it tested good, and moved on to other possible problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98SaturnSL2Bett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98SaturnSL2Bett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98SaturnSL2Bett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #64
98SaturnSL2Bett
98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough98SaturnSL2Bett is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuluKono View Post

So you're telling me there's a chance?
I'm most assuredly a man,
and I have no doubt you're a woman.
Actually, I was just being silly.
I sincerely hope you get your Saturn fixed with no more tows.
But, ya know, if you're ever in Idaho.......
Thanks for this. It made me laugh.

I'm forgetting about my car troubles until Monday. I won free tickets to the Miranda Lambert concert in St. Paul tonight -- really good seats from the local radio station. I'm taking my best friend and just looking forward to having a really good (mostly free) time.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. I very much appreciate it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98SaturnSL2Bett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #65
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Let's hope that it is cured now, but if the problem persists you should consider having a "mobile" tech come to where it is dead. You can verify it won't start right in front of them, and they can trouble-shoot with the exact conditions you have (incline, temperature, evil spirits, etc.) I doubt the cost would be any more that a tow and look-see at your regular shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:27 AM   #66
98SaturnSL2Bett

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Let's hope that it is cured now, but if the problem persists you should consider having a "mobile" tech come to where it is dead. You can verify it won't start right in front of them, and they can trouble-shoot with the exact conditions you have (incline, temperature, evil spirits, etc.) I doubt the cost would be any more that a tow and look-see at your regular shop.
Thanks for this. That's a great suggestion for what might make sense to do next if necessary. Very much appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #67
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SaturnSL2Bett View Post
Thanks so much for this fryer. I appreciate your incredibly thorough explanation. I'm pretty sure Dad had fuel pressure readings that showed it was good (one of the things billr was after me for). I just don't know what those numbers were, but I'm pretty positive Dad checked that, felt it tested good, and moved on to other possible problems.
The only reason I stress fuel pressure testing is the possibility of the no start situation after the repair shop couldn't find anything wrong with several successful startups. It can be frustrating when you're given a clean bill of health then find out the car repeats not starting again, away from the shop with you as the only witness. I had a similar nasty issue years ago and as unusual as this may be, I attached a fuel pressure gauge on a fuel line to the engine (back in the Neanderthal age, fuel test valves weren't invented yet so 'T' fittings were rigged). I had someone start my car as I observed the pressure gauge and as the engine started up, pressure was seen but randomly dropped as the engine had difficulty holding a steady idle. My car had the first generation fuel injection system operated by a simple switch attached to an airflow vane in the throttle body. When air is sucked into the throttle body, a switch closed to power the fuel pump. This switch simply needed its contacts cleaned and tweaked just enough to allow good physical electrical closure instead of erratic opening/closing. The engine would stumble and sometimes back fire in the intake air system. The problem disappeared after this finding. Modern fuel pump systems use electronics to turn them on like yours.

Connecting a fuel pressure gauge and if possible, leaving it connected before starting may give a clue on whether or not the fuel pump is operating and supplying pressure the moment its needed on every startup. When setup this way, the next failed startup should have you open the hood and look at the pressure gauge - pressure should be between 38-55 psi. Zero pressure would suggest an intermittent fuel issue. Seeing fuel pressure after a failed startup suggests an intermittent ignition/spark problem. It's usually one or the other.

Last edited by fdryer; 10-20-2019 at 12:42 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #68
98SaturnSL2Bett

1998 SL2

Quote:
The only reason I stress fuel pressure testing is the possibility of the no start situation after the repair shop couldn't find anything wrong with several successful startups. It can be frustrating when you're given a clean bill of health then find out the car repeats not starting again, away from the shop with you as the only witness. I had a similar nasty issue years ago and as unusual as this may be, I attached a fuel pressure gauge on a fuel line to the engine (back in the Neanderthal age, fuel test valves weren't invented yet so 'T' fittings were rigged). I had someone start my car as I observed the pressure gauge and as the engine started up, pressure was seen but randomly dropped as the engine had difficulty holding a steady idle. My car had the first generation fuel injection system operated by a simple switch attached to an airflow vane in the throttle body. When air is sucked into the throttle body, a switch closed to power the fuel pump. This switch simply needed its contacts cleaned and tweaked just enough to allow good physical electrical closure instead of erratic opening/closing. The engine would stumble and sometimes back fire in the intake air system. The problem disappeared after this finding. Modern fuel pump systems use electronics to turn them on like yours.

Connecting a fuel pressure gauge and if possible, leaving it connected before starting may give a clue on whether or not the fuel pump is operating and supplying pressure the moment its needed on every startup. When setup this way, the next failed startup should have you open the hood and look at the pressure gauge - pressure should be between 38-55 psi. Zero pressure would suggest an intermittent fuel issue. Seeing fuel pressure after a failed startup suggests an intermittent ignition/spark problem. It's usually one or the other.
Thank you for the explanation on this. I will keep in mind if I keep having problems when I get it back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2019, 01:03 PM   #69
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
No worries, I do the same. I follow several car forums and occasionally think of the wrong car at times, too

(I was about to apologize to you about assuming the parts were installed, as I missed or forgot that the parts were installed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SaturnSL2Bett
Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it. And you did it without making me feel dumber
you're welcome, and I will admit to not knowing a lot of the abbreviations when I first joined here (-5 points to my 'man card'). I couldn't even tell you the difference between the Saturn models - I always thought their naming was weird. Sure, it makes sense once you know it, but I found it very confusing when I first looked at Saturns.

BTW, you occasionally see PCM called ECM (electronic control module) and someone created a thread listing the common abbreviations. Wait, found something - it is in post 4 of the sticky thread
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177672

Quote:
And, all he/she knows about me is that I'm a frustrated owner of a 1998 Saturn in Minnesota
Hey, you are a dedicated Saturn-owner. That means you have good taste. . . which puts me out of the running
(well, that and my wife would be most displeased)

Quote:
with an ex-husband and an ex-boyfriend. That could make me a straight female or a gay male. ???
Some folks aren't particular.

DMHS

NTTAWWT.

(links show what the acronym stands for )

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #70
98SaturnSL2Bett

1998 SL2

Alright, I have an update for you:

I picked up the car from the shop yesterday afternoon. They put in the 2 new coils and ICM. Cost me $472. It started for me yesterday with errands. AND started for me today to go to work!!!! It's been very rainy here yesterday and today, so all of that moisture made me extra nervous that I'd continue having problems. So far, so good. No longer parking on an incline just in case. If come across an incline, I intend to back it in for the foreseeable future (until I forget).

So, total damage:
2 tows for $130 each
$472 at shop yesterday
$137 at shop the first time
$80 about that much in parts for us to work on last Thursday
All day of my and my cousin's time last Thursday
Two weeks, all told, without use of my car

I'm happy to pay all of these costs IF my car will work for me now for a good long while . . . .

I can't thank you all enough for all of your help and support. I've felt pretty alone in all of this and really appreciate all of you. Muchas Gracias!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #71
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

happy update and keeping our fingers crossed!

Quote:
I've felt pretty alone in all of this
I'm sure ZuluKono would love to hear from you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2019, 07:29 PM   #72
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
i'm sure zulukono would love to hear from you
lol

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #73
98SaturnSL2Bett

1998 SL2

One last update. I've had the car a full week now (picked it up early afternoon Monday this past week). It's been starting for me every time on the first try -- like I'm used to. Not parking it on an incline, especially nose-up. Did have to park it on an incline one night and I backed in. Nervous about starting issues the next morning, but it was just fine.

Thanks again for all of your help. Enjoy the fall weather!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #74
98SaturnSL2Bett

1998 SL2

I'm sorry to say I'm back to report that the car wouldn't start for me yesterday morning to go to work. Took two tries the night before to take it to run and get take out for dinner (hadn't been used at all since the afternoon before I think).

So, I figured out how to take the bus to work yesterday (1 1/2 hours there and 2 hours back in travel time and waiting for my connection downtown). Needless to say, it was a long day.

So, a new neighbor of mine was willing to come over after work to look at it and see what we could figure out. Turns out the car has gotten unhappy with how I've been starting it for the last 10 years -- it just had enough of that turn the key 2/3 or 3/4 of the way and wait until you hear the fuel injectors have fired and the fuel gauge powers up.

In 10 or 15 minutes time, my neighbor had me try starting it a different way AND IT WORKED!! EVERY TIME!!! Oh My God, I'm relieved and exasperated to find this out. I guess it explains why/how the mechanic at the shop was able to start it and I couldn't. Even though he told me how to start it (his way wouldn't work for me).

So, the magical way to start my car now is to turn the key about 1/2 way, once, twice and then on the third time turn it all the way over to start it. Worked great last night. Kind of didn't want to start that way cold this morning, but I gave her a little gas and she fired right up!

Neighbor is also recommending that I purchase BP unleaded 87 octane (or pay for higher grades of other fuel). He swears by BP and the additives they put in their gas. So, put 1/4 to 1/3 of a tank of that in her this morning and plan to use that gas exclusively for awhile at least to see if that helps.

We'll see how the next days and weeks go . . .

Happy Halloween!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2019, 01:13 PM   #75
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Well, that's interesting and a new one on me. Sounds like he is having you turn to ON several times before turning to START?

The important thing is, you got it started, though

thanks for the updates!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #76
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

On my '98 I always turn it to run, then I put my seat belt on while the fuel pump runs, and then turn to start. It does ugly starts when sitting, if I just turn the key directly to start. The '99 is better behaved. Hope it keeps working for you!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #77
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

'97's were initially famous for bad check valves in the fuel pump but I had issue's with every single '93-'97 I owned. Even now, ~7 years since my last DD S-Series I still pause in 'run' to let the pump prime the system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 01:47 PM   #78
98SaturnSL2Bett

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
'97's were initially famous for bad check valves in the fuel pump but I had issue's with every single '93-'97 I owned. Even now, ~7 years since my last DD S-Series I still pause in 'run' to let the pump prime the system.
Yeah, that's what I/we'd been doing for about 10 years. Unfortunately the car's decided it doesn't want to cooperate with that anymore!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #79
98SaturnSL2Bett

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
On my '98 I always turn it to run, then I put my seat belt on while the fuel pump runs, and then turn to start. It does ugly starts when sitting, if I just turn the key directly to start. The '99 is better behaved. Hope it keeps working for you!
I have to have my seat belt on before I do anything -- I absolutely can't stand the dinging noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #80
98SaturnSL2Bett

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Well, that's interesting and a new one on me. Sounds like he is having you turn to ON several times before turning to START?

The important thing is, you got it started, though

thanks for the updates!
You're welcome. Thanks for the support.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!