SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #1
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Flickering fog lights

98 SL2

Last time I had my fog lights on, I was going through a drive though and happened to notice in the reflection of the bumper of the car in front of me that my fog lights were flickering... Not like completely shutting off, but dimming just a little for a split second. At random intervals... Best analogy I could say is that it looked like a lit candle when they flickered. They would do it, stay on solid for a few seconds, do it again, and back and forth, so on and so on. Headlights stayed solidly lit, it was just the fog lights.

Any suggestions on where should I start looking first to be the cause of this little issue? Relay? Button on the dash? Is there a common issue with these?

Not going to use them for the time being in case it's a short or something... I mean I would hope that at worse it would just pop a fuse if that were the cause, but you never know...

Thanks!

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Flickering fog lights

Presumably they are not LEDs, nor are the bulbs old, then I would inspect the both the socket for corrosion and / or the wiring leading to them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #3
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

They're just standard incandescent bulbs. The way they're flickering at the same time (together that is), I figured it's something in the main power harness leading up to them. But I'll check the plugs and connections at each bulb and see how they look.

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Just last Saturday on my hay trailer, both rear turn signals stopped working, but did light up with truck parking lights ON.
I found both bulbs had burnt out the second filament at seemingly the same time. It must not have been a shorting issue, because with new bulbs they remain working correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote