SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
blentz
blentz is a jewel in the roughblentz is a jewel in the roughblentz is a jewel in the rough

Default can't rid myself of P0401

I have a 2001 SC2 with 187k miles on it. Recently I've been having issues with a recurring P0401 code for insufficient EGR flow. So far, I've tried:

- Removing the EGR valve and running the car, the idle went up to 3.5KRPM and was very loud, seemingly both passages are clear
- I've run compressed air through the EGR to intake port with the throttle body removed, flow seemed good to me, it doesn't appear this passage is blocked at all
- I've tried snaking a wire through both ports without much luck, I read somewhere online about a GM service procedure with a speedometer cable attached to a drill to help remove any build up
- The EGR valve has been replaced; it's a Delphi EG10176 that I got from Amazon for about $70. I believe it's the same as the OEM one I removed
- I have removed the MAP sensor and made sure it and it's port was not full of crud

Each time I clear the code, it comes back after a half dozen drive cycles. I have no driveability or noticeable gas mileage issues. No hesitation or stumbling. No other DTCs are set, only P0401.

I live in New Hampshire and we have yearly OBD smog testing. If I cannot get this resolved I fear it will impact the roadworthiness of the car. It's ridiculous to think I would have to take the car off the road because I can't get MAP sensor to read the correct change in intake pressure.

Should I try putting a new MAP sensor in it? The consensus on here seems to be that the MAP sensors seem to never go bad in these cars. Should I try a third EGR valve assuming the replacement I got is defective (but isn't setting any of the codes for the EGR position sensor?)

I can't think of any other diagnostic procedures to perform and I'm at the point where I'm considering to continue to throw parts at the car and hope something sticks.

I appreciate any and all suggestions you folks can provide.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blentz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blentz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blentz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2016, 10:52 PM   #2
blentz
blentz is a jewel in the roughblentz is a jewel in the roughblentz is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: can't rid myself of P0401

I compared my map sensor against another 2001 SC2. The car that's throwing P0401 codes has one that looks like a 213-796, but the car that's running fine has 21024034 stamped on it. I've had the car for many years and I've never had to change the MAP sensor before, but, according to the info online, it looks like the car has the wrong MAP sensor on it.

In the attached picture, the left one is on the car throwing P0401s and the one on the right looks like the one on the 'control' vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help blentz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2016, 03:26 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

P0401 is for insufficient egr flow. This isn't a map sensor error.

Under normal circumstances when removing the egr valve and starting the engine, the exposed intake port (one side, the other is the exhaust side) acts as a large vacuum leak and lets the engine rev to maximum - 4500 rpm. This is the programmed limiter with the engine parked in neutral as the engine computer knows the car isn't driven so it limits revs to 4500 and cycles the injectors on and off to prevent the engine from revving any higher. At speed and depending on whether a manual or automatic, speed limits are either 104 or 124 mph (6500 rpm). While you saw only 3500 rpm, this may be a partially blocked intake port not allowing more air in to raise engine rpm to programmed rev limits.

The map sensor is probably fine and not causing the egr error code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The P401 is set when low flow is detected by a less than calculated intake vacuum decrease while decelerating in top gear with throttle closed. The RPM limiter is at ~4k RPM and as you are not reaching this the intake side is restricted. Clean out intake side with carb cleaner soak with engine off. Allow it to air out and soak for 1/2-1 hour before starting with EGR off and maybe it will clear up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
ChrisMarie1128
ChrisMarie1128 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

I have a SL1 and for several months. I have been cleaning and I even replaced the EGR valve. However,I still get the *******' p0401 code. My car needs to pass emissions but I cannot get this code to go away. I started with 4 codes and this is the only one I cannot seem to get rid of. Please help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChrisMarie1128's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChrisMarie1128 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChrisMarie1128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
97RedSL1
97RedSL1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The P401 is set when low flow is detected by a less than calculated intake vacuum decrease while decelerating in top gear with throttle closed. The RPM limiter is at ~4k RPM and as you are not reaching this the intake side is restricted. Clean out intake side with carb cleaner soak with engine off. Allow it to air out and soak for 1/2-1 hour before starting with EGR off and maybe it will clear up.
Thanks for the tips, OldNuc and fdryer! I recently coded the same and am now wondering which of the 2 holes is the intake side, if I'm looking in at the EGR from the driver side fender. I assume it's the hole the pintle is over, but figured I'd ask because I'm well versed in EGR function.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97RedSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97RedSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97RedSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #7
blentz

Ugh, years later, still intermittently struggling with this... I was unaware anyone had replied!

I had falsely assumed the blockage was on the exhaust side, not the intake side. Since the vacuum leak caused by removing the valve was making it rev - BUT not making it rev all the way to the point of hitting the rev limiter I am sort of inferring the *intake* side is partially blocked, not the *exhaust* side.

I might be being thick here, but I think fdryer and OldNuc are saying that removing the EGR valve and starting the car should result in the engine revving all the way to the rev limiter -> it should repeatly hit the 4000 RPM limit over and over if the intake EGR passage is totally clear, and if it doesn't quite hit the 4000 RPM rev limiter, the passageway between the intake manifold and ERG mating surface is partially blocked.

I recall the intake was pretty caked with oily goodness the last time I had the throttlebody off for cleaning, but it never occurred to me that it could be clogged to this extent.

Thank you for giving me one more thing to try.

97RedSL1 and any google users - the exhaust side is passenger side, intake on driver side - Here's a photo of a plate I made to cover the intake side while I was trying to diagnose and focused on the exhaust side - in the picture, the exhaust port is open.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190807_171407.jpg (213.2 KB, 35 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
timl865
timl865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 97 sc2 with 91k miles.im getting P0404 I put a new egr in. Ran it with the valve off and the hit 4k and the rev limiter kicked in. I'm also getting p1624. Wtf is that
I cant get this damn light off!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timl865's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timl865 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timl865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blentz View Post
Ugh, years later, still intermittently struggling with this... I was unaware anyone had replied!

I had falsely assumed the blockage was on the exhaust side, not the intake side. Since the vacuum leak caused by removing the valve was making it rev - BUT not making it rev all the way to the point of hitting the rev limiter I am sort of inferring the *intake* side is partially blocked, not the *exhaust* side.

I might be being thick here, but I think fdryer and OldNuc are saying that removing the EGR valve and starting the car should result in the engine revving all the way to the rev limiter -> it should repeatly hit the 4000 RPM limit over and over if the intake EGR passage is totally clear, and if it doesn't quite hit the 4000 RPM rev limiter, the passageway between the intake manifold and ERG mating surface is partially blocked.

I recall the intake was pretty caked with oily goodness the last time I had the throttlebody off for cleaning, but it never occurred to me that it could be clogged to this extent.....
Yes, with egr valve removed, the intake port is a direct feed to the intake manifold and should allow the engine to rev up immediately upon startup to programmed rev limit (4k).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timl865 View Post
I have a 97 sc2 with 91k miles.im getting P0404 I put a new egr in. Ran it with the valve off and the hit 4k and the rev limiter kicked in. I'm also getting p1624. Wtf is that
I cant get this damn light off!
With two error codes and replacing the egr valve to correct P0404, the two errors may remain until several engine/drive cycles ensure one or both aren't active errors before the self diagnosing OBD II system resets one or both codes. P1624 seems to be treated to inadvertently pressing the cruise control button three times with a 30 second freeze frame snapshot of all sensors. This electronic snapshot is stored in memory for a reader to display sensor signals. Simply resetting this error code will also reset P0404. If the egr valve replacement corrects P0404 then either letting the OBD II system reset itself after a few drive cycles or you can manually reset both error codes with either a reader reset button or disconnecting battery negative for 10 seconds or more. Error codes are stored in live memory so removing battery power erases them but if any error caused by a faulty sensor isn't corrected, the error returns.

P1624; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223409

REWARD EXCELLENCE!