SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #1
dakota1820
Advanced Member
dakota1820 will become famous soon enough

2002 SC2
1995 SL2
Default What to do for performance

I know none of this makes it better more reliable ECT. But it's kinda a play toy so I don't mind playing with it.
It already has an exhaust system.
Would a header be worth it?
What about a cold air intake?
Lowering kit to handle better?
Wire tucking the engine bay just for looks?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dakota1820's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dakota1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2019, 12:16 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: What to do for performance

If it's a SOHC the single best thing you can do is swap for a DOHC. Nothing short of boost or NOS beats the power gain, especially for '91-'94 SOHC's. No bolt-on is worth the cost for a SOHC, it just can't utilize the extra airflow.

If you're asking about the '95 SL2 listed in your profile then a '91-'92 header is worth upgrading to otherwise it's not worth the cost (I'm assuming the '91-'92 header and dowpipe can still be had for $50 while the OBX copy is $200+, if this has changed then it may be worth it).

CAI's are a PITA to route and keep from rubbing a hole in the pipe. 2.5" or 3" PVC pipe with a Spectre filter is far more cost effective than anything else you could buy...even if you have to buy a hacksaw to get the straight lengths correct. WAI's are just stupid and don't do anything but let fellow car people know you're a knot-head.

I believe the only lowering springs you can still reliably buy are H&R Sport's. They lower roughly 1.4/1.3" f/r. I wouldn't replace just the springs unless you know the struts have been replaced recently, it's no fun paying for an alignment twice when the stiffer springs quickly kill what's left of stock style struts (KYB's are stiffer/quicker on the fronts than stock, they'll last longer).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:38 AM   #3
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
If it's a SOHC the single best thing you can do is swap for a DOHC. Nothing short of boost or NOS beats the power gain, especially for '91-'94 SOHC's. No bolt-on is worth the cost for a SOHC, it just can't utilize the extra airflow.

If you're asking about the '95 SL2 listed in your profile then a '91-'92 header is worth upgrading to otherwise it's not worth the cost (I'm assuming the '91-'92 header and dowpipe can still be had for $50 while the OBX copy is $200+, if this has changed then it may be worth it).

CAI's are a PITA to route and keep from rubbing a hole in the pipe. 2.5" or 3" PVC pipe with a Spectre filter is far more cost effective than anything else you could buy...even if you have to buy a hacksaw to get the straight lengths correct. WAI's are just stupid and don't do anything but let fellow car people know you're a knot-head.

I believe the only lowering springs you can still reliably buy are H&R Sport's. They lower roughly 1.4/1.3" f/r. I wouldn't replace just the springs unless you know the struts have been replaced recently, it's no fun paying for an alignment twice when the stiffer springs quickly kill what's left of stock style struts (KYB's are stiffer/quicker on the fronts than stock, they'll last longer).
Would be for a 2002 sc3 manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
ErikTande
ErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the rough

25 wet shot of nitrous is the easiest.

Nothing else will make a difference and adding a turbo is a DEEP rabbit hole.

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Get another toy that has some aftermarket support...

I don't think any major aftermarket manufacturer has considered the Saturn S series to be a "tuner" car, so you're not going to find much. The cars were made as cheap as possible, made to get you from A to B, and get good gas mileage while it's at it. I can't say I've ever heard of anyone trying to tune their Saturn S on a dyno...

Just my $0.02

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:49 PM   #6
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

^^^^ second that by uranus!!

saturns are dailys, except for seanr's ride!!!! personally i always wanted to do an LS swap in mine. but i asked him what was involved and to much fab work that was beyond my experience.

easier to start with something that has a following, will not cost an arm & leg to do and good luck finding parts!! unless you have the knowledge and capabilities to make your parts.

but if u decide to do it GOOD LUCK!!!! i really hope you the best!!

99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 87z16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 87z16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:57 PM   #7
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87z16 View Post
saturns are dailys, except for seanr's ride!!!! personally i always wanted to do an LS swap in mine. but i asked him what was involved and to much fab work that was beyond my experience.
Yeah there are a few exceptions lol but look at what has to be done...

No one ever considers my other ride, a 2004 4x4 Blazer, to a "performance" vehicle either, but I'm shoehorning a 500hp LS3 into it so it'll be digging in that territory a little lol but it's a LOT of work... BUT, the S-chassis that it's based on has a TON of aftermarket support, and there are companies that make complete V8 swap kits for it (granted not for a 4x4, but that's where some clever parts mixing and matching comes in). A lot of that project will be bolt together, but a lot will also be one-off hand made parts, from the engine harness to the exhaust.

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 PM   #8
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I think SeanR's LS4 swap is cool. Would be fun to do someday. A supercharged 3800 would be cool also.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:08 AM   #9
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

If I wanted performance, I would get myself a 2000 Mustang SVT Cobra R. Until then I will drive a Saturn 1998 SL2.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:16 AM   #10
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
1995 SL2

It doesn't need to be bad fast just a cool modded Saturn lol. A little bit extra vroom vroom from bolt ons would be nice..where can I get better engine mounts and things like that

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #11
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Ultimately, all cars are slow. If you want to go fast you should get a motorcycle.

Ultimately, all motorcycles are slow. If you want to go fast you should get an airplane.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I don't think anyone has any new aftermarket parts for the S-Series on the shelf anymore, for premade stuff your best bet is Sixthsphere.com:
OBX is the only semi-quality brand I know of making header's for a 3rd gen and they're currently going for $400-$500 when 5-10 years ago they were $150 or so. Just found another brand for $250 "Maximizer Stainless". Can buy a welder and all the gear for the OBX price, probably a metal chop saw too with the right coupons then just make it yourself.

CAI you can make from the local hardware store's PVC pipe section (2.5" pipe I believe), should be under $15 in "actually used" materials but may be closer to $530 with their minimum length requirements.; plus whatever you can get a Spectre cone air filter for.

The engine mounts can be firmed up with 3M Window Weld.

Last edited by fetchitfido; 08-30-2019 at 09:25 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Ultimately, all cars are slow. If you want to go fast you should get a motorcycle.

Ultimately, all motorcycles are slow. If you want to go fast you should get an airplane.
Uhhh, me thinks an airplane means at the least a sport class license if not a ppl plus lessons and all the bureaucratic paperwork to prove one's ability to fly, look and avoid while working the radio.

I worked up my driving skills from car to street legal motorcycle then back to cars. Cars to motorcycles is a good step for power but then again skills are needed to pedal shift motorcycles. Tesla? They make real go fast pedals (YouTube showing Teslas leaving ice cars in their mirrors on drag strips). And no tinkering with super or turbo charging, massaging ECUs, dyno time and every beginners mistake of blowing up an engine from lean mixtures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #14
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
...I worked up my driving skills from car to street legal motorcycle then back to cars. Cars to motorcycles is a good step for power but then again skills are needed to pedal shift motorcycles. ...
I rode bike up into my mid 20's.

In the beginning, my Dad set the rules on the size I was allowed to ride and I followed them. If I were unable to pick up the bike off the ground, I could NOT ride it, so the biggest I was able to really handle was a Honda CB550.

At that time I was 5'3" (in boots) and 115lbs. I wore a full face helmet and full leathers to make my Mom happy. I also loved the looks I got when I took off the helmet and let my red hair fall down to my waist.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I was about the same weight in my late teens. A neighbor had a Harley and couldn't rock the bike onto the built in full stand. I gave it a try and managed to heave the beast onto its full stand. My neighbor was in disbelief. I always thought the biggest muscle was between the ears...... Never did go the Arnold Schwarzenegger way. Too much work and then there's 'roid rage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I was about the same weight in my late teens. A neighbor had a Harley and couldn't rock the bike onto the built in full stand. I gave it a try and managed to heave the beast onto its full stand. My neighbor was in disbelief. I always thought the biggest muscle was between the ears...... Never did go the Arnold Schwarzenegger way. Too much work and then there's 'roid rage. And ducks don't look cool with muscles - we're liable to sink with the extra weight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #17
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I had a motorcycle only license for a month or two when I was 16. My first bike was a 1981 GN400. I still have it.

Disclaimer: it's not fast. My FJ1200 was pretty fast. I still have that too but it hasn't run in a while.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #18
87z16
87z16 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post
Yeah there are a few exceptions lol but look at what has to be done...

No one ever considers my other ride, a 2004 4x4 Blazer, to a "performance" vehicle either, but I'm shoehorning a 500hp LS3 into it so it'll be digging in that territory a little lol but it's a LOT of work... BUT, the S-chassis that it's based on has a TON of aftermarket support, and there are companies that make complete V8 swap kits for it (granted not for a 4x4, but that's where some clever parts mixing and matching comes in). A lot of that project will be bolt together, but a lot will also be one-off hand made parts, from the engine harness to the exhaust.
i have an 85 Monte SS with an 96 LT1 to 4L60e with an 8.5" rear. engine and tranny from a 9C1 Caprice and rear from a GN. the hardest thing was the wiring which a friend of mine used the stock harness from the caprice and mated it to the firewall, im not an electrical type.

my understanding is some Gbody stuff is swappable with your S-10. heck some people i know used 2wd knuckles and dual piston brakes and were later able to switch directly to vette rotors. want to build one of those as my tow vehicle, this still may happen tho. not as much fab work. nice blazer, ext cab or stepside.

there is one near my house done up with an LS3 as a tribute car to Dale Sr, but this is a 2wd. i never saw anyone do this to a 4X4. please keep us abreast if you decide to do this!!

GOOD LUCK with your swap!!

99 SL2 maroon/beige
99 SL2 maroon/black
87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe --- maroon/maroon - completely stock
85 Monte Carlo SS --- silver/maroon - not stock

tom

http://www.motortopia.com/87z16

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 87z16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 87z16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
87z16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #19
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
If I wanted performance, I would get myself a 2000 Mustang SVT Cobra R. Until then I will drive a Saturn 1998 SL2.
Performance is not a word typically associated with Mustangs.........

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #20
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Start with the cheap basics, then go from there.........

- NGK Spark Plugs, even if your current ones have 10,000 miles or more on them.

- Plug Wires.

- 5w-30 Syn oil & quality Filter.

- NAPA Gold or other higher flow Air Filter.

- A bottle of Redline SI-1, Amsoil PI, or Techron Concentrate in a tank of gas.

Also have quality Tires, Brakes & Suspension, mandatory for control & braking.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote