SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
rgrafton
rgrafton is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Default Looking for new wheels- let's talk size

I have a '02 SC1

I am looking to possibly get some new, bigger wheels. I want to fill the wheel well more. Something sportier. I mainly will use them during the warm months. I don't necessarily want to lower the car any, but may consider it. I know that going bigger on wheel diameter throws off the speedometer, but that's not too big of a deal to me. Once I know what 30mph and 60mph translates to I will just remember plus I have speedo on my gps.

I'm thinking of going with 16x7 wheels. 38-40mm offset. 205/60 tires. I assume it would fit if I didn't modify the stock ride height, but just double checking. Any suggestions/feedback/recommendations?

P.s. i'll probably keep the steel wheels and narrow 185 tires for winter

2002 SC1 5 speed 140k miles
1994 SL 5 speed 150k miles on engine (250k+ miles on car, tranny...etc.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgrafton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Looking for new wheels- let's talk size

It won't be off by much if you "up size" to 215/50R16 (0.1" off), 205/60 is over 1.3" taller. Taller means slower, less fuel mileage and with that big of a sidewall it cant be much fun in the corners. If the speedometer isn't reading correctly the odometer won't be counting miles correctly either which has a big impact on the car's value.

Play around with size's here: http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp (note: the site doesn't check if the size you want actually exists, so you could come up with many many theoretical size's that nobody actually makes)
Stock tire size's:
175/70R14 (default on base model SOHC's, nobody using their head "options" it lol)
185/65R14 (not sure what it's default on, optional SOHC)
185/65R15 (default on SL2/SW2, optional on most)
195/60R15 (default on SC/SC2, optional most)

Various size's people have tried on their S-Series and what they did (if anything) to make them fit: https://sixthsphere.com/archive/index.php/t-72349.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
rgrafton

2002 SC1

Well it looks like I may lower my car at some point then!

I also do not like how the rear wheels as tucked under the car so much. I know that the 7" rims with 205s will help with that a little, but I was thinking spacers in the rear to get the wheels out more with the fender.. Anything against spacers? Any recommendations?

What is the easiest, most budget friendly way of lowering these cars? just a modest drop - maybe an inch or two

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The cheapest way to lower the car is to cut off a coil or two, but normal people find that too sketchy to run for very long.

The cheapest & safe way to lower the car is to get lowering springs. Ebaich and H&R make sets with 2" or 1.4" drops, the H&R part number is 54341 ($195 at TireRack).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
rgrafton

2002 SC1

And I'd be ok using these springs with the stock struts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

First, you need to understand what the numbers on a tire mean..

First number is tire width, 185 millimeters wide...
Second number is sidewall height, as a percentage of width, 60% of 185...
Third number is rim diameter, 15 inches...

Hence, a 205/60R15 fits on 15 OEM Saturn S Series rims, and is a little larger, but is wider...

Look at General RT43s in 205/60R 15, H speed rating.
You can inflate them to 44 for fuel economy, or 35 for ride comfort.

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #7
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Tire calculator...

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:49 AM   #8
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

I have 205/55/16's on alloys from a Saturn Ion. My car is lowered an inch and a half on H&R's. The tires are a bit too big but that's what the rims came with and they only rub turned all the way to lock and reversing. So I can live with that.

The perfect size would be 205/50/16 to replicate the stock tire OD.

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote