SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
GreenLine
GreenLine is on a distinguished road

Default AC has quite, any answers?

2008 Saturn vue GreenLine. The fan blows fine, but doesn't blow cold. I gauged it, and it shows full. Any help would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenLine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenLine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenLine is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #2
ArtVandelay
ArtVandelay is on a distinguished road

Default Re: AC has quite, any answers?

First check would be to confirm you have enough Freon.

Do you have a static pressure reading (i.e. with the engine off at least 2 minutes)? Low and high side static pressures should be about the same, in the range of 70 psi (at 75F ambient temperature) to 100 psi (at 90F ambient).

There is a refrigerant pressure sensor that disables the compressor if the high side pressure is less than 39 psi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ArtVandelay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ArtVandelay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ArtVandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
GreenLine
GreenLine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
First check would be to confirm you have enough Freon.

Do you have a static pressure reading (i.e. with the engine off at least 2 minutes)? Low and high side static pressures should be about the same, in the range of 70 psi (at 75F ambient temperature) to 100 psi (at 90F ambient).

There is a refrigerant pressure sensor that disables the compressor if the high side pressure is less than 39 psi.
Yes, the refrigerant is ok. My brother (HVAC man) said it could be an Orpheus tube (not sure on the spelling), but when I went to buy one, they didn't have one for these.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenLine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenLine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Orifice tube; used as an inline filter in some ac systems. Measuring static pressures does not tell anyone about refrigerant amounts despite claims. A half pound/8 ozs of refrigerant will show the same static pressure as a full system. Unless you know for certain, the only way to know amounts is to remove it, evacuate the system and refill it with a measured amount. Static pressure is useless info. An experienced person can determine much more info when gauges are connected, system examined carefully for dye markers and other diagnostic methods.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #5
bigdude2468
bigdude2468 is on a distinguished road

You are going at this the wrong way. #1 is the compressor clutch engaging the compressor? Turn the air on and look to see if the compressor is spinning. I bet you will find that the compressor is not spinning.

*The unit could be low on freon. There is a pressure switch that will not allow the compressor to spin if the system is low on refrigerant

* Pressure switch could have failed

* The compressor clutch could be bad

If the compressor is not spinning I would pull off the wires from the pressure switch and put a jumper on to "force" the compressor to engage. If it engages run it for a couple of minutes to confirm it is blowing cold air. If it is
not blowing cold air I would guess you are low on refrigerant. If the clutch does not engage with the jumper wires then look at the compressor clutch.

Start with the above to eliminate the clutch, pressure switch and refrigerant, good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigdude2468's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigdude2468 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigdude2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
gm7
Advanced Member
gm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the roughgm7 is a jewel in the rough

2009 VUE Red Line

Excellent advice from bigdude....refrigerant 134A level affects whether compressor clicks on. That is where to start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gm7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gm7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
gqvue08
gqvue08 is on a distinguished road

I came back to SaturnFans to see if I could find an answer to my AC problem and I found this thread. Almost exactly what I need help with.

My 2008 Vue Greenline AC was intermittent. It worked great one day then not at all the next. Well, Yesterday when I pulled out of my driveway I heard a "clunk", "rattle, rattle", "ding" and saw the following part roll out from under my car. See attached photo. It was the AC Clutch plate.

My question is... Will driving my car with this part missing cause anything bad to happen, like the AC Compressor Pulley to fall off? Then the belt. Then the car to die on the freeway.

Has this ever happened to anyone here before? A known problem?

Are there any other parts that may have fallen off at the same time that would need to be replaced?

Does anyone know what type of bolt or fastener is used to reattach this plate? Thread size and length.

To help the original person posting the question... make sure your compressor clutch plate is on tight! It is in a very tight location and hard to see. You will need a mirror on a stick to see it. And skinny arms and hands to tighten whatever nut is holding it on because of poor access. At least on the Green Line model.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help with this.

GQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC Clutch Plate.JPG (126.8 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gqvue08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gqvue08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gqvue08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Clutches on ac compressors don't fall off unless someone missed a step during compressor assembly or this compressor was meddled by someone. The center bolt and spacer washer(s) holds the clutch to the compressor shaft. Without the clutch plate and bolt, the only way for the belt and pulley to walk off is if the pulley bearing is very loose and wobbling. As it is, the drive belt is tight and the inline alignment of driven pulleys is preventing the belt from walking. The bolt is a common one, maybe 8mm or 10mm? Metric and short, less than 1/2 inch/13mm long. Stick a nail or something similar into the compressor shaft and measure the length of nail inserted. This will give you length of bolt. You can try initial bolt sizing by using the hole in the clutch plate then trying a bolt on the compressor shaft. Maybe the bolt is lying nearby? Once you find the right thread sized bolt, the washer is next. Thin washers are used to establish initial clutch plate to pulley face gap, around 0.015 inch. A small gap is needed, no more as the clutch plate flexes inwards and outwards by design. The gap allows clutch disengagement when not using ac and engages with a strong magnetic coil pulling the clutch plate against the idler pulley face. Simple and effective. A credit card can be used as a gauge or eyeballing the gap; as long as the clutch plate has a small air gap between itself and pulley, any slim washer is used to set this gap. Too large a gap will prevent the clutch from flexing to engage the pulley.

Hopefully, you'll find a replacement bolt from loose hardware laying around or from local hardware stores if not auto stores. This is a plain bolt so Home Depot or Lowes will have them. You can even remove a bolt from your car to see if you can size up the threads. When finding a matching bolt thread size, take the bolt to match up with whatever's sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
gqvue08
gqvue08 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I hope it helps the original poster too.

As far as I know, this is the original Saturn factory compressor and no one has ever serviced it.

I think I can find the replacement fastener and washer locally. Or perhaps from McMaster-Carr.

After reading your response, I think it will be OK to drive the car until I can get the plate put back on.

Thanks again for your input.

GQ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gqvue08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gqvue08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gqvue08 is offline   Reply With Quote