SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default clutch: Harsh engagement...

'92 SL2m
~100K miles (pretty sure it's original clutch)

The clutch slips sometimes, but not very often at all.

There was a lake in the road from the hurricane that has subsided to about 8 inches I guess. Well I decided I would try to go through and I coasted slowly into the water and put it in 1st and went through it with ease. Well, after I came out of the water and increased speed, I shifted to second and my whole car lurches. Somethin happened under there. It seems to me like a harsh engagement. It's really bad from 1st to 2nd but later gears I don't notice hardly. When backing up or starting off from first, my whole car shakes and stutters. It sure doesn't sound good (or look good I bet).

I don't know how water could have caused this but I do have one theory. I was planning on replacing the tranny mount. I haven't had a chance to look and inspect it but I think it might have been split or somethin and packed with crud and dirt. When I went through the water it probably washed it all away and some rubber pieces too.

Is that a possibility? I can't think of anything else. I looked and the water came up to the top lugnut on my tires. (glad I don't have the AEM CAI)

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2004, 12:16 PM   #2
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

anybody have the part # for the '92 tranny mount. I want to make sure I get the right part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Don't worry, your clutch got wet after the lake-crossing and it should back to normal after driving a while.

How the water get in? There's an Air-Slot between the joint point of Motor and Tranny. Guess this is for the clutch/flywheel Ventilation (including Clutch-Dust & Heat)....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:29 PM   #4
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

well you are right because it did even out. But then I went through the water again on the way home. Guess I should go around the extra miles.

I need a new tranny mount though, is this the right part?
I couldn't find the part # but this is the description:

Trans mount - 92-95 $31.83

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread