SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 05-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #1
GaGirrl
GaGirrl is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Devil Steering wheel noise on 05 Vue

I just had the rack and pinion steering and Lower ball joints replaced on my 05 vue 5sp 2.2, and when turning the steering wheel back and forth, I get a noise that is best described as a high pitched “swishing” noise, almost as if something is caught under the steering column.

Other than immediately return the car to the shop (which I did) any idea what they could have screwed up in the repair? I had a horrible groaning/clunking noise and front end steering issues, which prompted the repair in the first place.

I was thinking that they didn’t re-assemble the steering rack properly when they replaced the rack and pinion steering?

I am beyond annoyed as this was a $1000 repair job.
1996 SL1 - 252K - "Priscilla", bought new, gone to the great Saturn graveyard June 2014
2004 Vue - 110K - "Ruby", bought used, hanging in there
GaGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2018, 10:50 PM   #2
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Steering wheel noise on 05 Vue

Check where the steering shaft goes through the floor board. There is a rubber boot the shaft goes through..

Listen carefully at that boot while turning the wheel back and forth.. On mine the shaft rubbing in the boot was causing god awful noise.

I tried many ways to lubricate the shaft and nothing seemed to work. Finially, I used a small dab of silicon paste (Di-electric grease) I pushed the boot back down as far as I could to expose the are on the shaft tyhat contacts the boot. I then rubbed the silicon paste on the shaft. I never heard another sound out of it...

I hope this helps you..
2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.
waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
GaGirrl
GaGirrl is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

So I called back and the dealer indicate that it was a faulty rack and pinion they inserted. The swish-swish noise was definitely directly behind the steering wheel.

Anyone have a definitive source/part number for this I can pass on?
1996 SL1 - 252K - "Priscilla", bought new, gone to the great Saturn graveyard June 2014
2004 Vue - 110K - "Ruby", bought used, hanging in there
GaGirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:47 AM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

As a former auto parts counterman the only recommendation I could make is that I would place A1-Cardone last on my list of brands to choose from. I found their rebuild quality to be too inconsistent for my consideration to sell them in the past. Beyond that I have no recommendation for a specific brand. I would also look into the warranty offered by the rebuilder and weigh that factor also.

RockAuto.com offers four brands of rack and pinion gears. One of them is by A1-Cardone.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nd+pinion,7388

When I replaced the rack and pinion gear on my own car I chose Detroit Axle. It was the least expensive available anywhere and offered a limited lifetime
warranty. I performed the work by myself so I had the "luxury" of choosing whatever brand I wanted. Interestingly, their company paid the shipping for the return of the core back to them. The core return was required if I wanted to receive the warranty on their replacement part. I doubt that a shop would care to use them because of the time needed to wait for shipment.

I hope that all goes well for you, GaGirrl......
340,000 miles - Holy canolli!
Joe Biden for POTUS and Kamala Harris for VEEP. What follows if they get their way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote