SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
TrustyAutos
TrustyAutos is on a distinguished road

Default SC1/2 vs SL1/2 vs SW1/2 for TCO

Hello Again S-Series Fans!

Thanks again to all who previously offered advice on how to choose a more reliable S-Series car.
I'm constantly scanning craigslist in the Minneapolis, MN area now, just waiting for a good deal so I can "pounce"! lol

All other factors being equal, if I had to choose from a total cost of ownership (TCO) perspective, would it be better to go with:
SL2 or SC2 or SW2?
Similarly for SL1 vs SW1 vs SC1 would it be the same answer?

My guess is SL2 is the "best" followed by SW2 then SC2.
My reasoning is that more SL2's are available and it should be more easy to find parts.
For the SC2's, it feels like many treat them like a sports car and beat the crap out of them.
For SW2's, it seems like they will probably get 1 mpg less on average (not a big deal), but over time, I guess that adds up to more wear on the engine.
I want to hit 250-300k!

I care almost nothing about looks (i.e. style/color), but do care about some of the smaller issues (like IF SC's tend to rust out faster because they're lower to the ground or get stuck in snow more).

Any advice/insight/cautions would be appreciated!
david/TustyAutos in Minneapolis, MN

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TrustyAutos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TrustyAutos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TrustyAutos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
Josh16162
Josh16162 will become famous soon enoughJosh16162 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: SC1/2 vs SL1/2 vs SW1/2 for TCO

One of the greatest things with the s series saturns are the parts interchangeability. If you have a SL2 and a SC2 of the same year I believe that almost every part can be swapped between the two - other than the body panels of course.

Check what your area has most of if you're worried about body panels, and that would answer your question for the TCO.

Whichever one you pick, just ensure you have a brass ECTS and check the oil.

PS. Just a reminder, check the oil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Josh16162's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Josh16162 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Josh16162 is offline   Reply With Quote