SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
satmark
satmark is just really nicesatmark is just really nicesatmark is just really nicesatmark is just really nice

1999 SL
Default Clutch slipping - how long do I have?

Original clutch - 252K miles. Starting to slip in 3rd and 4th gears. Will this get worse quickly or gradually? It's a nuisance now but would be a safety issue if it got significantly worse quickly. I drive mainly highway miles. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satmark's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satmark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satmark is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Clutch slipping - how long do I have?

That's not a question anyone can answer with any certainly .. could go either way, but usually, if slipping is happening, delaying the repair could cost more and more IF it got to damaging the flywheel ..... I would get that clutch and throwout bearing (etc) replaced as soon as possible.

It's been many years since I clutched my way through West Allis, WI.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Most likely it will go quickly. Slipping makes for more wear which makes for more slipping.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
satmark
satmark is just really nicesatmark is just really nicesatmark is just really nicesatmark is just really nice

1999 SL

Would you recommend replacing the flywheel at the same time if I want to increase my chances of a successful repair?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help satmark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Good question, I'm debating that myself. We are going to replace the clutch in our '99 during winter break. When we rebuilt the car a couple years ago they took a couple thou off the flywheel as it was not in bad shape. I am leaning towards seeing how it looks and replacing if I see any obvious damage.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

At a minimum you should have it resurfaced ($30 at my local machine shop, I assume similar rates for all) and maybe 2-days turnaround.

Last I knew S-Series flywheels were priced like gold in "new" condition, but maybe with scrap metal being so cheap the flywheel will have come down to something reasonable.

As for how long you have...the lone S-Series I had with a slipping clutch started out perfectly fine leaving my driveway then 2 miles away it started slipping then a mile later I didn't think it'd make it home. I wasn't exactly nice to it, hooning on the back roads and I think that was the one I slid off into someones flower garden and had to be REALLY not nice to it to get out...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:10 PM   #7
satmark

1999 SL

New flywheel is $55. Based on everyone's feedback I'll get it along with the clutch kit. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
blueknigh7
blueknigh7 has a spectacular aura aboutblueknigh7 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

I had some slippage, but really only noticed it when I floored it in 5th (a good test), and sometimes in 1st.

Decided to change it, and even though the wear was minimal at 140K, i did have a leaking rear seal(?). Everything was all greased up, so I replaced it with a luk kit. Resurfaced the flywheel ($40), and I was good to go. Others have gone much further on original clutches.

No slippage yet - even though I never fixed that seal... keeping my fingers crossed currently at 286k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blueknigh7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blueknigh7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blueknigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote