SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
DawnR
DawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really nice

1997 SW2
2001 SC2
Default Manual Radiator fan switch advice.

It finally stopped working. I am honestly upset.
There was a terrible downpour of rain this past summer that was simply unbelievable, Naturally my drivers side window was wide open. My car horn started blaring. I was out in the downpour disconnecting my battery to get it to stop.

Now my car horn does not work and my manual radiator fan switch is no longer working.
I have tried to replace the fuse for the car horn and it blows the instant it makes connection.

I do not know where to look for the fan switch. Are these related on 1 relay maybe?
Does anyone know where I can look or point me in a direction?
I really do rely on my fan switch in the hot summer months. I don't worry so much if I have a car horn or not. I just thought the fuse blowing was interesting.

Thanks in advance.

I read, I learn, I try!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DawnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DawnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DawnR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2019, 08:41 PM   #2
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Manual Radiator fan switch advice.

I do not know the answers to your question, but I wonder about your statement about relying on the fan switch. You're in WI. It's not terribly hot there. I wonder if your cooling system is not up to par. I'm in MI, and my fan only turns on when idling for awhile.... I admit, My AC isn't working, so there is no load from that, which could be the difference.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
laser3kw
laser3kw will become famous soon enough

2000 SC1

it sounds like you received the car with the modification (manual fan switch)?
Where / what switch do you use to activate the radiator fan? Is the wiring under the hood that does not look factory?
What I read in you post:
it was raining and your window was down
the horn started blow (without using the steering wheel ring?).
Possible the window won't roll up? (why was this mentioned?)
disconnecting the battery seem to reset the horn
you found a fuse blown - which one? replacing it made the horn blow again.
later it was found that you manual radiator fan switch would not work.
Did you try replacing the fuse that makes the horn blow THEN see if the manual fan switch works ?
keep us posted

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

There's no good reason to install the manual radiator fan switch, ever. Pretty much the only way it should be installed (I'd use tape instead if you can't stand a gauge that acts like a gauge) is so when you activate the switch it activates the radiator fan relay (some years may require something to fool the PCM into thinking it's off to avoid a CEL).

There's also no good reason for the fan switch and horn to be connected. If the horn fuse is blowing then it's likely the fan shorted out, you'll have to unplug the horn and see if the fuse still blows.

If this is on the '01 the horn should be a legit 2-wire horn with a legit relay in the UHJB...if this is on the '97 then the horn is crap, 3-wire with a crap relay built into the horn that needs to be modified to a proper 2-wire horn; theonly hard part to that mod is finding a high coil resistance relay with arc suppression so the crap horn buttons don't instantly burn out; such as the Hella 7903021 .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
DawnR
DawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really nice

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

454cid There is no AC..my car has the shorter belt that avoids the AC compressor completely. So it gets very hot and humid out and I drive very long distances across the midwest. If I get stuck in stop and go traffic the car easily begins to overheat.

laser3kw The manual fan switch was the best thing that I ever did for this little car.
I forgot to roll my car windows up and the storm rolled over.
I have no horn...when I change the fuse it pops instantly.
I thought I said that clearly. I do not remember the fuse number off the top of my head.

Here is my thread after I did the Manual Fan switch.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202054

Here is the thread that I found the How To Guide
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180612

I did that in 2014...I need this working again for my particular car. It worked perfectly for 5 years without any issue or side effects what-so-ever.

I read, I learn, I try!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DawnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
DawnR

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post

There's also no good reason for the fan switch and horn to be connected. If the horn fuse is blowing then it's likely the fan shorted out, you'll have to unplug the horn and see if the fuse still blows.

...............if this is on the '97 .........
Does this mean I need to replace my radiator fan?
Yes..I can test the fan itself first. I had not been around to doing that.

And yes this is my 97 Wagon

I read, I learn, I try!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnR View Post
454cid There is no AC..my car has the shorter belt that avoids the AC compressor completely. So it gets very hot and humid out and I drive very long distances across the midwest. If I get stuck in stop and go traffic the car easily begins to overheat.
Sounds like you have a cooling issue and and electrical issue.... your car is getting hotter than it should, yet the fan isn't kicking on.

It could be the coolant system just needs to be flushed and/or a new thermostat needs to be installed. If the radiator is original, it might be better just to replace it. The plastic tanks don't last forever.

I'm not sure what's involved in the electric fan... I've always had mechanical fans until now.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
laser3kw

2000 SC1

Hi Dawn
thanks for the clarification(s)
My SC1 also has the the AC deleted. I tried the manual fan / jumper the pressure switch also. It worked ok but when it got cool out, I found that the fan was activated when I used the defrosters. I did the modification because the brand new Stant thermostat I installed was flaky / bad out of the box and would run the temperature up to 212. I ended up replacing the thermostat and unhooking the manual fan switch modification.
As others have said, the cooling system should not need a manual fan over ride. You should get that in working order first. But some troubleshooting is needed to determine if the fan is broke.
Unplug the fan wires and activate the manual fan switch. Use a volt meter to see if you have voltage at the fan plug. If not start looking at fuses. If all fuses look good, then pull the fan relay and check to see if you have voltage on the input side (pull in coil). Turn the fan switch on and off to verify that side of the circuit works. If it appears that the relay is bad, swap it with another relay and test again. If you end up with voltage at the fan plug, the fan may be bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #9
laser3kw

2000 SC1

PS
Quote:
I have tried to replace the fuse for the car horn and it blows the instant it makes connection
I thought you meant the horn blows as soon as it made connection

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2019, 02:32 PM   #10
DawnR

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

Okay.
Thanks everyone.
I guess I can check into my radiator.
Thermostat was replaced initially....on the side of caution I can install a new one this spring.
Flush and refill my system sounds like a plan.
This car runs perfect though. I have no leaks of any kind anywhere.
Coolant level is always full. Nice hot heat.

I have driven the car for going on 6 years. Just basic maintenance up to this point.

The fan not kicking on early enough for me to feel comfortable was just a hiccup.
The radiator fan switch was just a nice feature for me.

The electrical in the SC models...I read and read about it and time and time again the fan switch did not work well in the SC's.

If they did, I would have done the same mod on my SC2.

I read, I learn, I try!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #11
laser3kw

2000 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnR View Post
Okay.
........The fan not kicking on early enough for me to feel comfortable was just a hiccup.
The radiator fan switch was just a nice feature for me.
If your want to control the fan outside the ECM, get a Thermostatic fan controller like this:
thermostatic fan control link
That one installs the temperature probe in the radiator fins for easy install. It takes a little wiring but is pretty straight forward.When done correctly, your stock ECM control will still function as a backup in case something went wrong with it ( wiring comes loose)
I have a similar one with the temperature sender in the lower hose going to the thermostat. I had to make a hose splice for the sender to thread into and cut the lower hose to install it. I have mine set at 210 and have a warning LED wired back to the dash to tell me it is on. It rarely comes on, but is reassurance that when it does my temperature is not critical yet.It has been reliable for 7 years now. I know others on here also have secondary fan controllers for the same reasons.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #12
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

I would just like to add that I love my manual fan switch! I never liked how late the fan would kick on in heavy summer traffic. Hot running is hard on the oil and could contribute to coking on the rings and general oil break down.

I'm usually at 91 c, when it creeps up to 95+ I turn on the fan and it goes back to 91 in about a minute. One of my favorite mods on this car.

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:00 PM   #13
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

I may also end up adding a manual fan switch at some point...It probably isn't necessary, but would make me feel better in summer traffic. I havent had a problem with it yet, it still kicks on at about 220 and cools back down to about 200 like it should. Sometimes in heavy traffic though it will end up cycling multiple times so I'd rather just have it on manually until things pick back up.

97 SL2, auto, 118K miles