SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 01-07-2016, 12:52 PM   #1
DawnR
DawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really nice

1997 SW2
2001 SC2
Default Dash backlighting. Is there a fuse I can check?

Happy New Year everyone!

I am not figuring this out very good. 2001 SC2
When I start the car all of the indicator lights come on for the normal 10 seconds or so. At night I cannot see anything as the dash is black. The dimmer switch is working those top 2 lights that are inside of the arc shape. And the Odometer light is working that displays how many miles are on the vehicle. So is Backlight correct? Is there a fuse that I can check first before I start taking the dash apart again?

I have read many threads and people comment that their fuse is good. My problem is that I do not know Where 'said' fuse is located? Which one is it?
I read, I learn, I try!
DawnR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Dash backlighting. Is there a fuse I can check?

The inop lights are ones that normally can be "dimmed", correct? If the dimmer operates and controls even one other lamp, then the fuse is OK. You probably have bad bulbs. (I am familiar only with '94/'95, but expect your year is similar).
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
DawnR
DawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really nice

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
The inop lights are ones that normally can be "dimmed", correct? If the dimmer operates and controls even one other lamp, then the fuse is OK. You probably have bad bulbs. (I am familiar only with '94/'95, but expect your year is similar).
Shoot...ok...So the actual dimmer switch operates other lights besides the ones along the top? Honestly I have never ever paid attention. It's the kind of thing that I only noticed once I drove in the dark.
I read, I learn, I try!
Old 01-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I don't pay real close attention, either, but I'm almost positive that on my 2nd gen, the dimmer controls everything that is normally turned on when the lights are on (possible exceptions are warning lights).

Odometer, illumination, are all dimmed.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Radio light too, I think.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
DawnR

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
Radio light too, I think.
the radio is aftermarket. my daughter says she thinks they weren't working prior to the new radio. she rarely drives at night either. basically we have both been non observant of these lights.
I was reading that maybe I need to check the lights that come on when backing up. another thing new to me. I never knew that a light came on.
I read, I learn, I try!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5araI3Lu6OE

Richpin as usual makes it look really easy, but it is not bad. The two hardest parts were the two screws on backside of cluster and removing the cable connectors. Highly recommend led replacements.
Gold 1999 SC2 ~385k Kms
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:06 AM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The cluster is stupid-simple to remove. Take the dash cover off, take the 2 bolts holding the cluster in off and pull the cluster up. Done. If you take anything else apart to get the cluster out I nominate you king/queen weeny-head!

I'm 500000% NOT impressed with 3rd gen gauge clusters. The '01 I had had no back lighting so I bought the 8.5BD LED bulbs to fix it, none of them fit in the holes (Subaru clusters take the SAME size and they work perfect...). Bought an '03 L200 cluster with silver faces, initially the bulbs worked fine but after a couple bumps they stopped working too. Wacked the cluster and presto-lights again. Played with so freaking many 2nd gen clusters and never once had a bulb issue.

Sell the 3rd gen and buy something worth putting money into...like a '93-'99. Best thing I did with the '01 was sell it...

Dash cluster, cup holder, HVAC controls and possibly the cig-lighter ring are all on the same dimmer circuit, if it's only the cluster that's out it's not the dimmer circuit that's the issue.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote