SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 11-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
1993 is on a distinguished road

Default Dang seat dilemma

I got a decent looking 1997 sc2. Its got every option that was available including leather seats. Well, the front seats are torn up, especially the drivers seat and it drives me crazy but i sure cant afford to have them re-covered. I really dont wanna buy cheap wal mart seat covers because the wrinkle up and wont stay put when getting in and out and all.. Havent had any luck finding any at the salvage yard that arent torn up also..any ideas?
1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
DawnR
DawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really nice

1997 SW2
2001 SC2
Default Re: Dang seat dilemma

I have an SC2 and my front seat cushions have seen better days. I have been wondering if the rear cushions are swappable with the front?
Just an idea. If they are.
I read, I learn, I try!
DawnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
SW2 Driver
SW2 Driver has a spectacular aura aboutSW2 Driver has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2

The leather on my drivers seat is shot. I got a generic cover at Advance Auto. Nothing great but it covers up the ripped leather and it stays in place.
SW2 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:40 PM   #4
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
I got a decent looking 1997 sc2. Its got every option that was available including leather seats. Well, the front seats are torn up, especially the drivers seat and it drives me crazy but i sure cant afford to have them re-covered. I really dont wanna buy cheap wal mart seat covers because the wrinkle up and wont stay put when getting in and out and all.. Havent had any luck finding any at the salvage yard that arent torn up also..any ideas?
Do you have to "have" leather seats? If so... I bet that you could pick up the fronts for about 250-300ish...... but IMO way to much... find a decent set cloth seats and slap them in.... In fact this is what is in my 94 HCE I have 02 SC2 seats (freebies ) all I had to do is swap the seat belt buckles but am still looking for a good set of HCE seats to go in my car when I want it to look original

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnR View Post
I have an SC2 and my front seat cushions have seen better days. I have been wondering if the rear cushions are swappable with the front?
Just an idea. If they are.
Will not fit... passenger to driver side cushions will though....
Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

my driver's seat which is also leather is also cracked & worn In the usual spots. I tried to find a used seat at a junkyard with no luck & my car is a 2001. good luck trying to find a seat for an older car. I mean you can find one, but the purpose is to find a good one & for a driver's side that will be a problem unless your very lucky. all I can find is seats which are worn like mine. I got an estimate to repair mine & it was around $380.00 which includes a new seat cushion. right now that's the only option unless you just get some crappy seat covers. good luck with this.
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturninin View Post
Do you have to "have" leather seats? If so... I bet that you could pick up the fronts for about 250-300ish...... but IMO way to much... find a decent set cloth seats and slap them in.... In fact this is what is in my 94 HCE I have 02 SC2 seats (freebies ) all I had to do is swap the seat belt buckles but am still looking for a good set of HCE seats to go in my car when I want it to look original

Will not fit... passenger to driver side cushions will though....
I dont have to have leather, but like to keep stuff original, but again, if i could find good cloth seats i would get them. Seats are only around 40.00 each at the pull a part here. Will all 1991-02 s-series front seats interchange? In other words, will any of those tears bolt in and work? What about SL seats, will they also work in an SC?
Old 11-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
I dont have to have leather, but like to keep stuff original, but again, if i could find good cloth seats i would get them. Seats are only around 40.00 each at the pull a part here. Will all 1991-02 s-series front seats interchange? In other words, will any of those tears bolt in and work? What about SL seats, will they also work in an SC?
finding a good cloth seat will also be a challenge, but if you can find the driver's cloth seat that means you will have to replace the whole interior unless the driver's seat will be cloth & the rest original leather...
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:56 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

'91-'02 front seats swap, '99ish-'02 into '91-'98 requires swapping the buckle to the '91-'98.

SL/SW seats are identical, SC/SL/SW driver seat are the same.
SC passenger seat has an "auto-forward" mechanism for when you fold the seat back forward that SL/SW didn't get; doesn't stop swapping but can be annoying if you put a 4dr seat into a 2/3rd and expect the auto-forward.
DOHC driver seats have minor height adjustment, lumbar support adjustment and an adjustable headrest.

Had a '93 SL2 with leather...summer/winter pains aside I slide around on the seat on nearly every corner and was never happy with them.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 11:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
'91-'02 front seats swap, '99ish-'02 into '91-'98 requires swapping the buckle to the '91-'98.

SL/SW seats are identical, SC/SL/SW driver seat are the same.
SC passenger seat has an "auto-forward" mechanism for when you fold the seat back forward that SL/SW didn't get; doesn't stop swapping but can be annoying if you put a 4dr seat into a 2/3rd and expect the auto-forward.
DOHC driver seats have minor height adjustment, lumbar support adjustment and an adjustable headrest.

Had a '93 SL2 with leather...summer/winter pains aside I slide around on the seat on nearly every corner and was never happy with them.
curious, if i was to find some SL seats and wanted to retain the sc passenger 'auto forward' feature, could i just buy the seat backs and bottoms MINUS the seat tracks and bolt them to my original seat tracks? I know the seat backs are removable but not sure if the bottoms come off the tracks or not..?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:06 AM   #10
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

I have no experience with this outfit but did surf through their site. They claim exact fit (if you go to the site you actually end up entering make/model/year) so it's not a "one size fits most" type of place.

Looks like a set of velour covers is $200+ and a set of leather covers is $400.

http://www.gtcovers.com/
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:37 AM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

3rd gen SC-2 seats in front for the win. The rest are all painful in varying degrees.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:32 AM   #12
DawnR
DawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really niceDawnR is just really nice

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

Quote:
I found these last year. They are very nice!
I read, I learn, I try!
Old 11-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #13
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
3rd gen SC-2 seats in front for the win. The rest are all painful in varying degrees.
If my "new" '01 with 247k miles is any indication S-Series seats just plain suck...lol

I've never tried it but I believe the tracks are bolt on so you should be able to swap the tracks around.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I agree, I also think the tracks will swap but I have never spent the time to actually figure out exactly how the flop forward feature functions and how to disable it but it should be easy. Never considered it a large enough problem to worry about it.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #15
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Someone here who's good at making seats/upholstery should make seats for us to buy.

Tall order, but sure would be nice.
Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #16
DawnR

1997 SW2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
If my "new" '01 with 247k miles is any indication S-Series seats just plain suck...lol

I've never tried it but I believe the tracks are bolt on so you should be able to swap the tracks around.
My previous car was a Hyundai Elantra Wagon. The seats were amazing. If I knew how to make those fit. I would!!!
I read, I learn, I try!
Old 12-11-2015, 12:18 AM   #17
SL1Joe
SL1Joe has a spectacular aura aboutSL1Joe has a spectacular aura about

1995 SL1

My drivers seat has definitely seen better days the bottom is completely broken to where I needed to stuff a large pillow in there so i'm not sitting on the floor!. the back on the left side also has a large portion of the metal support bar sticking out, not fun in the summer when it gets nice and hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnR View Post
I found these last year. They are very nice!
Those are real nice, i'd love to find a set like that for mine
95 SL1 - Midnight Blue [ Not sure the mileage anymore, changed out the original cluster 2 years ago ]
SL1Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:07 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The best there is are the 00-02 SC-2 seats and they will fit.