SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 10-22-2020, 02:08 PM   #1
Saturnman505
Saturnman505 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default PS Evo connector help

This is probably a simple question to most fans on here, but anyway how in the hell do you take off the Evo connector, without damaging the Actuator Solenoid? It has those internal locking teeth. Is there a special tool I could use?
Saturnman505 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: PS Evo connector help

Evo connector removal tool?

Try this snapon tool demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q39sPFxZgTc
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
Saturnman505

2002 SC2

Thanks for the video toggenburg, but that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm talking about the internal tooth locking washer on the outside of the solenoid. So I could take out the boot and connector all together? I think it's called a retainer clip. There is an E-clip underneath that as well. This washer has teeth and if you try to take if off or put it on it will scratch the mating surface to hell.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:20 PM   #4
Saturnman505

2002 SC2

I guess I'll have to respond to myself? I'm trying to get this car going. It's been sitting abandoned for years. I just put a new alternator in it because it was shot. It needed a new power steering pump, so I'm working on that, but nobody has any advice? Guess now I need to drop the tank and siphon out the gas? It has no battery in it, so does it still need to be depressurized? Common guy's help me out???
Old 10-23-2020, 11:36 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Picture of the electrical connector from the first post would help in describing how to disconnect.

Depressurize what? The fuel tank? It is not pressurized.
A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:06 AM   #6
Saturnman505

2002 SC2
Dizzy Re: PS Evo connector help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Picture of the electrical connector from the first post would help in describing how to disconnect.

Depressurize what? The fuel tank? It is not pressurized.
ok so I must be a little behind. I have to relieve the pressure then right? The Haynes manual says to disconnect the fuel pump, and start the engine. I mean the battery is dead by now. I'll probably just take to AutoZone to recharge. I'm new here so how can I send a picture?
Old 10-24-2020, 12:38 AM   #7
Saturnman505

2002 SC2

IMG_20201021_092919_2.jpg
Old 10-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The connector lock isn't shown in your picture and even if it was, you just pull it out to let the connector lock tab fold away and slide the connector out.
If you don't want to use the EVO at speed with your SC2 then just don't plug the electrical connector in, it's not worth the effort to remove the solenoid.
If the pump you took out doesn't have the EVO solenoid then either a previous owner put a SOHC pump in it...or you don't have a SC2.

Gas should still be okay if it's only sat for a year or two, maybe up to 5 years if it was actually gas and not 10% fake gas. Not sure why you'd drop the tank to siphon the gas out, either take the filler neck off an siphon that way or pop the line off the fuel regulator under the driver rear door and make the fuel pump pump fuel.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #9
Saturnman505

2002 SC2

The clip is the silver tab on the top of the pump, it's clearly visible. It looks like a horseshoe. It has teeth and is not easy to take off without scratching the surface? It's a solid piece that ain't like a typical washer. I don't want to bend it neither if possible? And the car has been sitting for years. Everything was original on the engine when I got it with 110,000 miles. It's a Manuel trans, and I've just done the shifter cables cuz they broke. Did the Tranny fluid with Havoline MD3 in it, also did coolant flush, with Havoline Dexcool that transmission color of the Havoline tranny fluid is neat, it's almost like a orange and pink mix? It's some good ****..only problem is I went through a curb literally, and kinked the subframe a little. I don't know what to do with this wip? I feel it will be a total loss if I let it go. What do you all think?
Old 10-24-2020, 07:47 PM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

THAT? lmao
I've never seen anyone so flummoxed by a simple snap ring (>here<). I'm sorry. I shouldn't laugh as you obviously have no clue what you are doing.

There's no reason to take the snap ring off, either get the correct pump for the car or forget it's there. If the car doesn't have the electrical plug then it just doesn't turn power assist off at 55mph, it doesn't get in the way of mounting.

If the subframe is kinked, either get another one to replace it. It's not that hard to replace unless you live in the rust belt, just expensive to get the required tools.
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:59 PM   #11
Saturnman505

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
THAT? lmao
I've never seen anyone so flummoxed by a simple snap ring (>here<). I'm sorry. I shouldn't laugh as you obviously have no clue what you are doing.

There's no reason to take the snap ring off, either get the correct pump for the car or forget it's there. If the car doesn't have the electrical plug then it just doesn't turn power assist off at 55mph, it doesn't get in the way of mounting.

If the subframe is kinked, either get another one to replace it. It's not that hard to replace unless you live in the rust belt, just expensive to get the required tools.
It's alright I'm still learning, I've already done a lot to this car, there fairly easy to work on, thanks to richpina and a few others, and thumbs up to The Haynes Manuel. Saturn cars are awesome I've learned a lot through out my Journey. I was homeless and just wanted to keep my car running, but things happen! Anyhow nobody seems to know what I'm talking about? The new pump has nothing, just pump. The reservoir was easy to take off, and those rings in the video are just as easy. I just wanted to take that EVO part off and place on new. I used a rubber mallet and screwdriver to bang it out. The teeth that dig in so it don't move. That's what kind of washer that is. Then tried putting it back on old pump, it just tears into the other part of the solenoid. Anyhow I'm thinking you might need to use a pair of lock washer pliers? I wish someone could show me them doing it? You need those type of pliers.