SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 07-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
marmaduke
marmaduke is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Broken Spring

Found out today that my left rear spring has broken off the shock absorber and will need replacement ASAP. It was getting worse lately with car leaning more to the ground on left rear and making weird noises.

One of the threads is now under the shock (instead being above) and is precariously supporting the left rear part of suspension. Anyways, spring is in order and hopefully my suspension problem is going away this week.

On a side note, Perhaps this will fix the unusually harsh ride quality issues I've been complaining about previously.

BTW, I had a chat with saturn dealer and the advisor mentioned she had one guy come with broken spring recently. So mine is not an isolated case I guess.
marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Broken Spring

Add me to the club.. I just had new tires put on and the service person came and got me to show me what happened with mine. It was on the right rear, and I sure as heck don't abuse my car.

I am getting sick and tired of all the crappy stuff the breaks on these pieces of garbage!

Not only that, I get back to my car today after a 40 mile bike ride and my car won't start, because the defective piece of garbage thinks I am trying to steal it. I had to wait about 45 minutes before the car decided it would quit messing with me and start. This happened about a year ago, but recently the security and wrench light will come on after it has been running for a minute or so. I'm guessing the key cylinder needs replaced.

Oh, by the way, I am going to post the thing about the spring on the nhtsa site or whatever site ends up doing recalls so hopefully saturn can be shamed into a recall.
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
spork

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

BTW, it wasn't the spring that broke, it's the bottom cup that supports the spring.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:18 AM   #4
marmaduke

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had the spring replaced for $350. It was pretty rusted out. I didnt realize that it was that bad. But you are right... its the connection between the spring and shock that separated.

BTW, I think its an interesting setup they've got there with coil over shock in rear and coil over strut in front. I wonder why strut up front and shock in the rear?

Anyways, it is all good now and car rides a heck of a lot better.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
spork

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That's the problem, you shouldn't replace just one side. So the real cost is $700. I don't have $700. There also is no assurance that they didn't just replace it with another defective part. I plan on getting the pieces from a junkyard off of a low mile car, and then take it to a welding shop and have them reinforce it. It should end up being cheaper than having saturn do it, and I have the satisfaction of knowing it is better and that saturn didn't get any of my money.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
marmaduke

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had no choice but to have it fixed asap. I had to gingerly drive it to a local shop which had the part shipped to it. I swear that tire was rubbing to the top everytime I went over a bump. Lower end of shock was resting on the second or third thread of the coil instead of being below the tip of the coil. Coil was askew and was touching the shock. Wish I had taken a pic though..

I kindof understand your frustration. Who replaces a coil spring on a 5 year old car? Granted mine has 104.5k miles on it but still... oh well, on the bright side, I dont have to worry about doing anything else now to improve the ride. I was thinking of doing struts/shocks change ... but forget that now.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #7
Al Bear
Al Bear is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork
It should end up being cheaper than having saturn do it, and I have the satisfaction of knowing it is better and that saturn didn't get any of my money.
Man! up to $700.00! that blows! It's sad but Saturn's quality has deteriorated a lot these years. All the cost-cutting left and right by GM is coming back to bite them (GM) in the ass by alienating lots of customers with low quality parts. Therefore having many customers not come back to Saturn, or ANY GM brand.

Saturn constantly used to be one of the best GM divisions in the early to mid 90's, but they have dropped the ball. Hope your repairs go well, and not too expensive!
Al Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:11 AM   #8
Al Bear
Al Bear is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmaduke
I had no choice but to have it fixed asap.
So what was your monetary damage to have this fixed, and yes, like I told Sport, below, Sadly, Satur's quality has gone downhill fast,
Al Bear is offline   Reply With Quote