SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
Hawkins
Hawkins is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 Saturn SL1 Passenger side noise

I am unable to find anyone who has the same issue I have. I bring it to the auto shop and the car stops making the noise. Between 0-10 mph from a complete stop my car makes a grinding kind of sound reminiscent of a bearing going bad, but my hub and bearing were just replaced. The sound also pops up again between 30 and 35 on occasion. I took it back to the auto shop and my mechanic couldn't find any issues with the hub or the torque on the nuts.

I've attached a audio file with the exact sound it makes. If you have any idea, please let me know.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Saturn Noise.zip (128.6 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hawkins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hawkins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: 2002 Saturn SL1 Passenger side noise

Check the exhaust heat shields and exhaust in general.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
Hawkins

I should also mention that this noise is coming from the front right side of my car, I am unable to determine if its from the wheel or the engine bay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hawkins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Still sounds like the exhaust and/or heat shields flapping about. My LQ4 has a heck of a rattle at about 1150rpm, doesn't matter speed, from the shields on the muffler that aren't attached like they should be anymore.

That area, the front right, is a prime candidate for a worn out engine mount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #5
Hawkins

My front engine mount is gapped a bit, almost enough to fit more than the tip of a ballpoint pen in. What would I do to repair the heat shield? And where could I find a replacement engine mount for cheap?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #6
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Most any parts store has the mounts, ask to check 3-4 box's of their inventory and pick the own without a frowny face on the back. Cost is usually around $30, though if you want the cheapest RockAuto and Amazon have them for under $20 shipped. If you must have OEM quality then you'll have to check online, either dealer websites or eBay (IMO the solid mounts I had on 4 different S-Series were perfect but most on here expect a Cadillac for cheap $ and would be pissed off with them lol)

Once the heat shields start rattling I generally rip 'em off except around the gas tank. I have more days under 70f than over 90f so they don't exactly do much even in perfect working order. The couple of times I was told to save them I used the shortest self tapping screws I could find and widened the head on them with washer, seemed to work fine...just pay attention to where they're poking into, try to avoid the active passenger area and gas tank...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2017, 07:02 AM   #7
Hawkins

This doesn't have anything to do with the original posting topic, but I was wondering if I replace an O2 sensor does it take time for my cars computer to adjust to it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #8
fetchitfido

2001 SC2

Depends on what you mean by "adjust". It'll take 3-4 trips (possibly more) to reset the light, if they're long enough to re-test the failed one. The engine should be running better quicker than that if it was causing a drive-ability issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #9
Hawkins

I got a cheap OBDII sensor online to clear and check fault codes. Cleared the light after install and it hasnt come back. I was hoping my MPG would increase after replacing it but no such luck. I get 22 city and I dont know if thats good or bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!