SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
98saturnsc1or2
98saturnsc1or2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Key stuck in the ignition

As the title says the key is stuck in the ignition and it won't turn or come out. I tried getting the ignition cylinder out but being that the key won't turn to the ACC position I am unable to pull the cylinder out.

On occasion in the past the key would not turn all the way back when turning the car off and I had to wiggle the shifter when in the park position order to get the key to release.

The one thing the car does do that it should not is I am able to change gears and with an automatic I shouldn't be able to do that without the key on and I'm thinking that that may have something to do with the key being locked.

I tried searching on here but everybody else's problems are slightly different than mine as they're able to turn the key to the ACC position or eventually get it out by wiggling. I've been working on this off and on all day today with no luck.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98saturnsc1or2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98saturnsc1or2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98saturnsc1or2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Key stuck in the ignition

Honesty it's likely a worn cylinder. When the key started sticking was the time to replace it. You'll have to remove the entire assembly which I think requires removing the steering wheel.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:20 AM   #3
98saturnsc1or2

1998 SC2

Thanks! That is what I am afraid of. What about the fact that I can shift gears? I always assumed before that it wouldn't come out because it didn't sense it was in park.

Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98saturnsc1or2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

^^ no, that is because of the interlock switch under the console, by the parking brake handle. Most likely the switch is bad, or the wiring to it.
I disabled that on my SW2 because at times it would prevent me from shifting out of PARK. Nearly missed a great job interview because it would not let me get out of the park position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
98saturnsc1or2

1998 SC2

Thank you I will check into that. If that is bad will that lock the ignition? Could someone please explain how the locking mechanism Works what tells the ignition to lock the key in. Is there a way to bypass the locking mechanism?

Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #6
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

You are probably going to have to remove the whole lock mechanism. To remove the key cylinder you have to get the key to acc. It's not possible to do in your case. The instructions say to pull the Air bag, Steering wheel, clockspring, yaddayadda. You don't have to. I posted instructions about a month ago. Drop the steering column, it takes two #13 sockets. Drill out the two security screws that hold the lock mechanism to the steering column. They will probably back themselves right out if you are lucky. You will leave all the stuff on the steering column and have the lock mechanism drop right into your hand. Try it on a few at a pick and pull that don't have keys, and then you'll see how it works. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
98saturnsc1or2

1998 SC2

Thanks. I got the key and ignition switch out and changed it with a good used one. Car ran fine but now I'm having another problem with the ignition. When I turn the key nothing happens. This happened to me last night but finally it started. Started the next 3 times and now its doing the same thing. I replaced the ignition cylinder with another one and it does the same thing.

Any thoughts

I recently changed the starter so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Maybe ill change the relay if it has one for the ignition. I don't think fuse is bad but ill check

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
98saturnsc1or2

1998 SC2

So no relays but there are 4 fuses, 2 inside and 2 outside. I look at all 4 and none are bad so I put them back in and try starting the car and it starts. I turn it off and try it again starts right back up. I don't know what gives but just a matter of time before it leaves me stranded somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 PM   #9
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

98 Does have a starter relay hidden under the dash cover behind the right side of the instrument panel. It's part of the security system. It can be just eliminated by concocting a fake relay. Richpin has a video on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
98saturnsc1or2

1998 SC2

Thanks I checked out the video and sounds like my problem. I jumped in another relay with same pin setup and still same problem. Starter relay looks good but can't see inside relay without taking apart which I can't do right now as I'm stuck away from home with car not working. I need to see if starter is getting voltage but this problem never seems to happen at home. If it is the starter I've never had one go out this way usually it will click and not turn over but this isn't doing that. I read where the F5 pin I believe it is can get problems so I'm not sure how to pull the plug out I removed a couple of bolts that I thought was holding it on but I still can't get it to pull out. Maybe I will see if Richpin has a video on that.

Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #11
Tom Walsh

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Power to the starter solenoid comes thru the under hood fuse box(UHFB). Thru F7 to A7. The starter power comes direct from the Battery. The F5 problem you are referring to I believe is in the Instrument panel fuse box. The Charging circuit comes from there but thru B5. Don't believe that would be your problem. Without getting your tester on the starter it is going to be difficult to evaluate your problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

My key is stuck at the accessory position. Wheel is not locked, it is a manual. I need to get it home, any reason why I can't hotwire it? I did get the plastic off the column and removed the 6 pin connector. I am going to search Alldatadiy but if anybody has the print handy that would be great.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #13
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
My key is stuck at the accessory position. Wheel is not locked, it is a manual. I need to get it home, any reason why I can't hotwire it? I did get the plastic off the column and removed the 6 pin connector. I am going to search Alldatadiy but if anybody has the print handy that would be great.
No need to hotwire. Cut wires are future problems. Once you get the lower plastic cover off you can push the release and pull the cylinder out. Then you can just turn the switch with a screw driver once the cylinder is out.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Thanks, I'll look up that release. I had not planned to cut wires, just jumper the connector. I like what you are saying better.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Its hard to get on that little release button, takes a bit of good curse words. But once you get it you'll be home free. Only other issue is that two of the screws holding the upper plastic are really deeply embedded and you may have challenges not getting your nut driver stuck in the hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8wnj4qHoc

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #16
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I've got the plastic off. No worries there. What I am worried about is the sequence. Off to run to accessory. If the kid went right from off to accessory where it is stuck I could be in trouble.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #17
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

These switches are a bit on the unusual side. The sequence is as follows: starting from engine off following a road trip and key out of ignition. clockwise to RUN -> CRANK -> release to after CRANK RUN (engine on, spring back counterclockwise). The shutdown sequence is counterclockwise as follows: OFF -> ACC -> LOCK.

If you fiddle with this you will find these positions. ACC is easiest to find going from the running state counterclockwise.

If your ignition cylinder was never modified it has 9 tumblers in it and there is a TSB to pull out 2 of them as 9 tends to jam up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #18
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

No joy on getting the cylinder out.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #19
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you have not hot wired yet the 3 sheets of the ignition switch are in my photo gallery. The key minder switch just fires off the chime if you leave the key in the ignition so you can skip that light green wire and the black ground wire. A toggle switch and a push button and you are good to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #20
trottida
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
No joy on getting the cylinder out.
Does that mean you got it out or are you still stuck?

I just went through this with my 2001 SL1 except in my case it was stuck in the lock position and in order to get the cylinder it out you need to be in the ACC position.

Once you get it to ACC then use an appropriate sized allen wrench and stick it into the release pin access hole to press on the release pin.

To get the key to turn I had to flush the cylinder with 3/4 of a can of electrical contact cleaner and after it dried I sprayed in some lock lubricant, waited a bit then while applying turning force I whack the end of the key with a handle of a screw driver (rubber mallet would do to). Once in the ACC position then the cylinder was able to be removed.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (410,500 km @ 11/2017)
1999 SL2 MT (251,500 km @ 11/2017)
2011 Suburban LT (101,450 km @ 11/2017)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote