SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2019, 04:25 AM   #1
Shadxonoob
Shadxonoob is on a distinguished road

Default Performance Upgrades 2002 L200

Does anybody know where i can find performance upgrades like coilovers and turbo kits for a 2002 l200 with obviously the l61 motor, i heard koni used to make springs but they dont anymore and nobody sells theirs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shadxonoob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shadxonoob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shadxonoob is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #2
Deep6
Deep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to beholdDeep6 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Re: Performance Upgrades 2002 L200

Unfortunately Shadxonoob, there isn't much out there like turbo kits, or coil-overs. In fact, there never really was much out there to begin with.

I recall that H+R springs as well as Eibach had some lowering springs for this car. Koni had a set of their "yellows" which were 5 position adjustable. But I'm quite certain those companies stopped carrying the applications long ago. I could be wrong and maybe there is some crafty Ebay dude out there?

This car shares some of its suspension pieces with the Saab 9-5. I did see that there were polyurethane bushing kits for some of the 9-5s. So that might be a good route if you are looking to round out a suspension this way.

But you'll also be surprised how a set of tires 10mm wider and some mildly aggressive alignment specs can deliver on this car with the stock bushings. Especially if you are looking for what I am looking for; low cost mods that still maintain the street-ability of this car over broken pavement.

For the brakes I have a set of Max Brakes cross drilled rotors with performance ceramic pads front and rear. They offered a nice upgrade in stopping efficiency without the need for bigger calipers/rims etc. But as far as big brake Brembo kits out there? Not sure.

For the engine/transmission, I put a K+N panel air filter in my air-box and I also did the "air box mod" as best as I could. Also my muffler has a fist sized rust hole on top, so that helps reduce some back pressure. I put Red Line MTL in my manual transmission and I changed the power steering fluid to Red Line ATF 6. Both of those fluid swaps helped to cut down on a little bit of parasitic loss. All in all - the computer eventually readjusted and my car has some nice mid-range to it now.

But if you want to make internal engine mods, then you're looking at cu$$$tom work. Supposedly there is a GM factory manual with tips on how to make the L61 make more power and there are places that do custom built drop in L61 engines (for the Cavalier/Cobalt/Ion gang) but again, money.

My car is 16 years old. It's a daily driver/beater because I cannot afford a new car. So instead I keep my old car reasonably well maintained and I find that cost of ownership has been relatively low. So I'll keep driving it. My son is looking to get his license this summer. If he's patient enough to drive stick, I might just give this car to him. It'll be just as old as he is...

2002 LW200 MT 170K "Rare 5-speed"
2000 LS1 AT 283K "Served us well since 2000"
1993 SL2 AT 155K "Also Gone but not forgotten"
2012 Honda CBR 250R 4.7K "She can't take this from me"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deep6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deep6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Performance Upgrades 2002 L200

The L series was based on the Opel Vectra B. The Saab 9-5 was another derivative. The Opel Vectra has always been sold as the Vauxhall Vectra where I hail from.

The Vectra has always been a strong fleet car used by Sales Reps. They sold by the truckload in the UK as they were fast, comfortable and reliable plus easy to maintain.

Because of that there is a very strong after market for these cars in Europe. I replaced rear suspension bushings on my son's 2003 L300 last year and I got all the parts from the UK and were cheap to boot.

If you want to research add ons, then do some research on Vectra B. I think you will be pleasantly surprised

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote