SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
jswingchun
jswingchun is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Security System Weirdness

I have owned this 99 SC2 for almost five years. I have never had a remote lock transmitter for the car.

Yesterday, I went out to start the car and when I opened the door, the security system triggered. The horn was beeping and the car wouldn't start. That has never happened in the five years I owned the car. The car was unlocked, and hasn't been locked for weeks.

I was able to reset it with the 3 cycles/10 minute wait procedure.

What I need to know is what could have triggered this? My son will be driving this car to work this summer and I can't have the horn blaring at 5:00 AM and have him missing work because he had to wait a half hour to get the car started.

92 SL2 - 280k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jswingchun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jswingchun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jswingchun is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Security System Weirdness

That sounds like the dealer installed Saturn security system that has been installed into the car. Check the RPO codes on the spare tire cover and see if you have AU0 listed or not. AUO is the RKE module.

First have to identify what has been installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
jswingchun

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That sounds like the dealer installed Saturn security system that has been installed into the car. Check the RPO codes on the spare tire cover and see if you have AU0 listed or not. AUO is the RKE module.

First have to identify what has been installed.
Yes, AU0 is the first code in the RPO codes.

92 SL2 - 280k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jswingchun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That is factory RKE and do you have electric locks?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
jswingchun

1992 SL2

Quote:
That is factory RKE and do you have electric locks?
Yes, electric locks.

92 SL2 - 280k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Take a look at this thread and read the pdf I posted and determine what mode the RKE security is programmed for. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?t=180674# Post #8. You can reprogram the box so it no longer thinks it is a security system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
jswingchun

1992 SL2

Quote:
Take a look at this thread and read the pdf I posted and determine what mode the RKE security is programmed for. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?t=180674# Post #8. You can reprogram the box so it no longer thinks it is a security system.
I finally got back from vacation and had a chance to try this. Steps I did:
1 - Key in the ignition, in the lock position
2 - Jumper from position 8 to position 4 on the DLC. I hear one horn chirp.
3 - Cycle the ignition from lock to run 11 times
4 - Remove the jumper

When I put the jumper back after this it only chirped once again. Shouldn't it have chirped 11 times?

The lock position is basically the off position, where you can remove the key?

Did I miss something?

92 SL2 - 280k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I believe the horn just chirps to let you know you've done something with it.
If you don't want the PDF, Wolfman has had directions on programming the security system up since 2005: www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59192

The fob is only $25ish and takes 5 minutes to get working...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-CHEVY...5-/26103447776
Don't know why the interchange says it doesn't work, I believe it's got the right part number listed (ABO1502T).

While the RKE module isn't failure prone, it's also not failure proof. Should be fairly cheap in a junkyard (got one for a '97 SC2 for $15) and once you know where it is takes 2 minutes to replace.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Try programming it to #3 and see what happens.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You have to keep the jumper connected while programming. ON is the position right before crank and off is 1 back from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
I believe the horn just chirps to let you know you've done something with it.
If you don't want the PDF, Wolfman has had directions on programming the security system up since 2005: www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59192

The fob is only $25ish and takes 5 minutes to get working...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GM-CHEVY...5-/26103447776
Don't know why the interchange says it doesn't work, I believe it's got the right part number listed (ABO1502T).

While the RKE module isn't failure prone, it's also not failure proof. Should be fairly cheap in a junkyard (got one for a '97 SC2 for $15) and once you know where it is takes 2 minutes to replace.
AB01502T is indeed correct. Might also be worth searching on ABO1502T, a common typo.

If it's the RKE module, and you really don't want the security system, you can look for a module from a '96 car. You'll probably have to jumper/bypass the hacked-in starter relay under the dash in this case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote