SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 09:37 AM   #1
SilverBullit
SilverBullit is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Cruise Control Swap for 97 SL2?

I was wondering if it was possible to swap cruise control into a 97 SL2 with a standard shift? I was hoping that I could raid a similar car from a junkyard and that it might be a pretty simple "plug and play" sort of deal. Thanks for any info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverBullit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverBullit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2003, 11:02 AM   #2
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

Not too hard, You will need the module (under the dash) and the steering wheel controls/shroud (best to swap the entire wheel, unless yours is leather) The wiring harness is already there. If you do the swap, and it doesn't work - you will need to take a trip to a Saturn retailer to have them program the pcm for cruise. alternatively, you can swap the pcm from the donor car as well, as long is it has the same options... (more money though...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
SilverBullit
SilverBullit is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

What exactly is the module? How hard is it to run the wires with my existing wheel? How much is it all going to cost including the reprogramming of the pcm, roughly?

Thanks for your help. I just bought my Saturn last weekend and I love it, but sadly it doesn't have cruise. I was hoping to put it in with little drama.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverBullit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverBullit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2003, 03:36 PM   #4
maclover
maclover is on a distinguished road

OK, here's what I did when I installed cruise control in my '99 SL.

I called saturn and ordered the kit directly from them. I decided to go ahead and get new parts because I didn't want to be stuck with a used cruise control module with a possible bad/worn out servo motor. I ordered it through my friend's car lot, and got a discount. $180 for everything.

The kit comes with 3 parts: the cruise control buttons/interface, the cruise control throttle-control module, and a new steering wheel cover with a cutout where the interface sticks out.

First, disconnect your battery. This will help prevent the airbag from accidentally firing.

The next thing to do is install the interface (buttons, switches, whatever you want to call the thing that goes on the steering wheel and controls the cruise control). Carefully remove the air bag - there are several screws and bolts you must take out to do this. Then get a steering wheel remover and take the steering wheel off. Be careful that you don't totally strip the threads on the steering wheel where you bolt the remover (I almost did this. The metal is suprisingly soft.) Remove the plastic steering column cover. You will notice a wiring harness burried underneith the airbag and steering wheel that exactly matches the interface. Replace the steering column cover with the new cover, screw the interface into the steering column, and replace the steering wheel and airbag. Be careful, when removing the steering wheel, that you don't twist the airbag's firing coil out of position - secure it with a piece of electrical tape.

After that, it's time to install the throttle control module. Notice the triangular pattern of bolts that are used to secure this module. Now stick your head under the dash and steering wheel, where the gas pedal is. Look up into the steering column, and notice the precut triangular bolt pattern in the dash chassis - exactly the same pattern as the module. Yep, you guessed it, that's where you bolt this module. After it's secured, attach the plastic arm of the cruise control module to the slot already cut in the gas pedal arm.

After you have performed this, reconnect the battery and then turn the car on. Try turning the cruise control switch to the on position. If the orange light comes on, then you have installed that piece correctly. If it does not come on, then you're screwed and the wiring harness has come undone somewhere.

Take your saturn to your saturn dealership and tell them you installed the cruise control yourself and you need to have the PCM reprogrammed to accept the cruise control. This will cost one hour of labor ($60 at my dealership).

That should do you. Let me know if you have any other questions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maclover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maclover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread