SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
bigbfarm
bigbfarm is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SW2
Default cruise control swap 95 to 96

I'm trying to take a cruise control out of a 95 sc2 5sp to go into a 96 sl2 5sp. I've read a lot of threads and I think I'm out of luck. Richpins video covers 96 but this 95 is different where it connects to pedal. I can''t figure out how to take cable off of pedal. Should I just swap pedals? Will it even work going from obdI to obdII? I understand I may need to have computer flashed but I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbfarm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbfarm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
bigbfarm

1996 SL2
1997 SW2
Default Re: cruise control swap 95 to 96

Well I swapped gas pedals and installed the cruise control, Both plugs were right were they were supposed to be and hooked her up. On my test drive I got nothing, no cruse, no on light. Does this mean I need to have computer flashed? Or does it mean its not compatable with my 96? I have a fuse in the cab box, any other fuses in UHJB? Third option is unit was junk to begin with. Any help? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bigbfarm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member
Col.FUBAR is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

I am pretty sure that you will need to get the PCM flashed because a 96' is OBD-II so the computer is different and need to have cruise "available" in the programming to allow it to work. If you would have had an OBD-I 95 and down it probably would have worked without re-flashing the PCM.

Former DD: 1994 SC2 5spd. 190K, being sold to a friend

2005 Saturn ION 2 5spd. 73K

1995 Aquamarine SL2
1.9L DOHC 5spd. ~125K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Col.FUBAR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Col.FUBAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Col.FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.FUBAR View Post
I am pretty sure that you will need to get the PCM flashed because a 96' is OBD-II so the computer is different and need to have cruise "available" in the programming to allow it to work. If you would have had an OBD-I 95 and down it probably would have worked without re-flashing the PCM.
I'd say that normally but, in this case, I'm not so sure. I added cruise control in a 2000 and before the PCM reprogram the light came on but it wouldn't work. I also had a PCM reprogram and a crankshaft relearn on a '96 because of a persistent P0300 (There's a TSB about it...thanks ssicarman). When they did that they screwed up and programmed out my cruise control. Again the light came on and the cruise control didn't work. His light's not coming on. So, I'm doubting that this is just a reprogram problem.

BTW I took the '96 back and they fixed the problem no charge.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
bigbfarm

1996 SL2
1997 SW2

I thought I saw a thread where the light came on even though the unit needed flashing. I'll double check connectors. Should be some voltage maybe on the steering mounted unit? BTW Chevy dealer wants 42.00 to flash. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

95 module won't work in the newers cars. They look the same but they changed something in them.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
bigbfarm

1996 SL2
1997 SW2

Thanks, so the module is in the steering so if I swap that the actuator (pedal) should work? Or do I need to replace both components?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The module is the unit on the bottom of the steering column that attaches to the gas pedal. I know the moduel is not the same but I don't know if the switches are the same or not.
On the whole the best thing to do would be to use a 96 cruise and switches. 96 to 99 should be the same.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote