SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
95satnut
95satnut is on a distinguished road

Default Cruise control swap, 95 to 96

So I gotta question, where does the clutch pedal cruise kill switch go on a 96 SC2?

I am swapping the cruise from a 95 SL1 SOHC 5 speed to my 96 SC1 SOHC 5 speed and ive put everything in except for the switch which obviously doesnt mount in the exact same place. And I cant find the plug for it either, well I havent looked too far for it, I gave up when I got under there and saw the computer right there in the way!

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks,
Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 95satnut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 95satnut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
95satnut is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Cruise control swap, 95 to 96

Do not need it. Its all done in the PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
95satnut

So, no clutch switch at all? Ok, so I guess If I have everything else installed properly, then I just need someone to turn it on in the computer, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 95satnut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yep. Might take it for a road test to be sure that you get to go to the dealer to get turned on. Some rare times it works right out of the box. You should have the switch and buttons at the wheel and the brick on the column. That's all there is to it. Should have the power light on the wheel control when its turned on now even if its not programed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #5
95satnut

Yep, ive got the little light on the steering wheel switch, but it doesnt function. I will be checking on getting the PCM done soon.

Thanks, Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The dealer can just enable the cruise or completely reflash the PCM with the latest firmware. The firmware update is the best approach and usually the cost is the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #7
95satnut

Hey, get this, I called my local Saturn service center adn told them what I needed done. The service guy who takes calls/schedules work wasnt sure if he could do it and had to call me back. When he did call back, he proceeded to tell me "The cruise wont work unless it was factory installed" We will see, Im gonna have them turn it on anyway! :-P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Tell them to do a "relearn" of the PCM and to select cruise control as one of the installed options. Its on the same screen as the wheel/tire size, auto/man trans etc. They can do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #9
95satnut

Ok, so heres the latest. I took it to the dealer today. They said they could do it but they would not guarantee the cruise would work, which I knew and didnt expect them to anyway. I am not impressed with this dealership, its the second time ive been there, and have had mediocre/bad service both times.... anyway, he flashed the computer (by hooking up his hand held scanner to the car, and it in turn to the larger desktop style computer), turned on the cruise, then went for a test drive.

When he came back, he said it didnt work, hooked the small scanner to it and did something. When he was finished, I asked if it was good to go, and he said, "cross your fingers". I paid my 100 bucks and drove off. I turned around and came right back when I noticed the service engine light was now on (was not before) and he looked at it again. He now says it has a "couple cruise control codes" and they cant fix it today, they said id have to bring it back. I dont want to sit and wait ANOTHER THREE HOURS for 15 minutes of work unless I really have to!

Oh, and the cruise doesnt work.

My thoughts; Have I done anything wrong on my end? I installed the box under the dash (pulls the throttle pedal) and hooked the wire to it. Then installed the wheel switch, hooked up that too.

Again, these components are from a 1995 SL1 SOHC 5 speed (which has a cruise interupt switch on the clutch) ****OBD1*** car, and I installed them on my 1996 SC1 SOHC 5 speed, (which DOESNT have a cruise interrupt switch on the clutch) ****OBD2*** car.

OldNuc, you have been very helpfull and I appreciate your advice, maybe you have another idea?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2008, 11:29 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The cruise codes do not turn on either light, the Service (wrench) light nor the Service Engine Soon light. I wonder what lights are on???? It sounds like you have done everything you should and the cruise worked on the other car. I wonder what codes he pulled off. P0565, P1580 to P1584 are the cruise control codes and they only are stored, no lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2008, 12:11 AM   #11
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Id get your $100 bucks back and find another dealer.

Sounds like you did everything correct. Just need to have the Cruise box checked with the Tech II at the dealer.

May want to stop at autozone to see what codes are now present that are setting the light off. Im kind of curious as to what they are

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I think the dealership might have pushed the dumb button on this one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
95satnut

So heres some good news I didnt include in my last post. When he finished with it, I took the car and drove off. The cruise still didnt work, but at least the service engine was not on and it has not come on since. I dont know why, but im not complaining.

Oh, and get this, yesterday when I had turned around and drove right back because of the S.E. light, the manager told me if he hooked up his scanner and found the problem was not due to the programming they had just performed, it would cost me another 100 bucks to tell me that!!! I said, No sir, you tell me its not due to the programming, and I will take my car and be on my way, I will not be paying any more!!! (He hooked up his scanner and said nothing more about more money.) :-P I could type some colorfull words here, but that would do no good......

Sorry, I just had to vent....

So I now have no service engine light, but still no cruise. And I noticed the scanner he was using said "Tech II" on it, so I guess he had the right tool for the job. I will go over all my connections and see if I missed something. And one more thing, when I told the manager the cruise worked when pulled, and mentioned it was an OBD 1 car, he said that might be the problem, because my car is an OBD 2. I think he had no idea, but rather was looking for any excuse to be rid of me. Is there any validity to his statement?

Thanks,
Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #14
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

I believe that the cruise modules changed in 96 from the earlier ones. Externally the same, mounting wise etc. Different internally. I know that there was a cruise tester that worked on modules up to 95 but not on later ones.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is at least good news. Now, Low Saturn is the resident cruise control swap wizard. I believe he has stated in the past that they all swap. That being said the parts book does list a different part number for 94-95 and 96->newer. So, there is a possibility that is a problem. Maybe he will pass by and answer this question.

That will be a possible beats me answer.....

You could shoot him a PM and ask.

Or try advanced search and search in S-Series and How-To for cruise control and see if it has been addressed.

LOOK HERE... http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...+compatibility

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:04 AM   #16
95satnut

Thanks, It sounds like I need a cruise box from a OBD2 car 96 or after.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I think that is right. If they got you programmed right then it will work when installed. They can be had at your local scrap yard. I read that thread and there is some disagreement as to what box works where but the 96 is the pickiest PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #18
95satnut

Thanks for all the advice, I will be getting another box soon, will post when I have some good news!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
95satnut

So, i dont know if anyone will read this, but here goes.

I got a cruise box from a 96 saturn and installed it. I hooked it up and tried the cruise. No go, still no response. Do I have to reflash the PCM so the computer will recognize the new component? I would hate to spend another 100 bucks, but if i have to, i will.

Thanks,
Chris

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #20
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

The problem isn't the cruise module, it's the PCM. More accurately, it's that ham-handed dealer that obviously doesn't want to work on relics like ours. If you can't find a dealer that can find its ASE ceritification with both hands, your next option is to find a PCM from a '96 5-speed SC1, SL, SL1 or SW1 with cruise control (and, if you have it, A/C) at a salvage yard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote