SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 02:37 AM   #1
InstantKarma
InstantKarma is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default 5-speed driving habits...

I decided to make a separate thread for this question. Sorry for the possible redundancy for some of you.

The question is:

When you come to a complete stop with your 5-speed and you know you are going to be stopped for awhile (i.e. red light, line of cars at a stop sign, drive-thru, rush-hour traffic, etc.) do you leave your VUE in gear with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor, or do you shift into neutral and let the clutch pedal back up?

I have heard differing schools of thought on this. I have been of the "Shift into Neutral and Get Off the Clutch Pedal" school my entire driving life, but recently have been dissuaded by some saying that leaving the clutch pedal on the floor at a stop won't hurt/abnormally-wear anything. I had always been under the impression "things" were still turning inside and keeping the clutch pedal on the floor would put undo wear on the "clutch guts."

So...how do YOU drive your 5-speed??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to InstantKarma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help InstantKarma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2005, 06:24 AM   #2
Ken Baker
Ken Baker is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 5-speed driving habits...

I'm not a mechanic but leaving the clutch depressed compresses the springs on the clutch plate and puts a force on the throw-out bearing. This is what can wear. There is a force on it only when the clutch is disengaged. There will be no wear and tear on the transmission.

Just make sure the clutch peddle is all the way to the floor or you will have the clutch plate slipping on the pressure plate. This is exactly what you don't want. Not depressing the clutch all the way makes for difficult shifting particularly from nuteral into first gear. I think some of the shifting problems mentioned here are caused by this.

If I have a long wait at a light I put the car in nuteral and take my foot off the clutch. I don't think it matters all that much one way or the other which method you use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ken Baker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ken Baker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 06:35 AM   #3
Mistomax
Mistomax is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

I've always been of the school of thought where if you're not using it to actually shift gears, or to start off, get your foot off of it. All the way off.

Some say it's better to hold the clutch in at a stoplight from a safety standpoint. You can move more quickly if you need to. Maybe that would apply in a few isolated situations.

Then it seems to me I heard part of a Click & Clack phone conversation where some guy was saying that with hydraulic clutches, it doesn't matter if you keep your foot on it or not because of something or other I didn't hear and/or don't remember.

Anyway, I keep my foot off of it, and my clutches have all had 150,000 miles on them when I've gotten rid of the vehicles they belong to.

I wasn't looking for a Vue--now I have one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mistomax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mistomax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
Ghostrider
Advanced Member
Ghostrider is on a distinguished road

I've never had to replace a clutch (or throwout bearing) in 30 years of driving, and until recently, all my daily drivers were manuals. I've always had the school of thought that when you depress the clutch, push it all the way in, and don't drive with your foot resting on the clutch pedal. I've also always left the clutch depressed while idling, inless it was a long period of time.
Your going to have something spinning when idling, and putting it in neutral with the clutch out still spins the input shaft of the tranny. I guess it just matters which you want to spin.
If you really want to save the clutch, learn to drive without using it except at stops. If you match your engine speeds properly, you can upshift/downshift without using the clutch. I did this for years on older vehicles before synchromesh was perfected.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ghostrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ghostrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:05 AM   #5
benson500
benson500 is on a distinguished road

Chalk me up as a shift-into-neutral guy. Unless I'm only pausing at a stop sign (and have already downshifted into 1st gear), I put it in neutral. It's so much of a habit, I even do it in stop-and-go traffic. I made it a habit after my first manual car had some kind of mechanical clutch failure at around 100k -- for the first 50k or so, I held the clutch in. I have no idea if that was related to the failure, but haven't had any problems with the three manuals I've owned since.

[I]Former owner: '93 SC2 and '03 ION3.....[/I]

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benson500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benson500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 06:38 PM   #6
Mistomax
Mistomax is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
If you really want to save the clutch, learn to drive without using it except at stops. If you match your engine speeds properly, you can upshift/downshift without using the clutch. I did this for years on older vehicles before synchromesh was perfected.
I've found this is much more difficult to do with a sychromesh tranny. I think it's best to go ahead and use the clutch unless you've got a non-synchromesh (found pretty much only on tractor-trailers these days).

I wasn't looking for a Vue--now I have one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mistomax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mistomax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 06:52 PM   #7
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

If I know I'm going to sit there a while, it's easier on the leg muscles to let up on the pedal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #8
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Foot off, in neutral, leg rested.
It probabally doesn't make that much difference but whenever the clutch pedal is down parts are wearing, but engaging and disengaging the clutch the extra times wears other parts also, so its a wash on wear IMO.

DJ

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
beachkeefes
beachkeefes is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEnumber1
If I know I'm going to sit there a while, it's easier on the leg muscles to let up on the pedal.
Very true!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beachkeefes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beachkeefes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:46 PM   #10
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by runerx
Foot off, in neutral, leg rested.
It probabally doesn't make that much difference but whenever the clutch pedal is down parts are wearing, but engaging and disengaging the clutch the extra times wears other parts also, so its a wash on wear IMO.

DJ
Right-O.

In the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't make much difference either way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:44 PM   #11
MaxSL2
Advanced Member
MaxSL2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I shift to Neutral unless the stop is going to be brief. You would likely have to always hold down the clutch for years to wear anything out, but there is the occasional throwout bearing that dies early.

I also figure that it is a little easier on the engine bearings to not stay on the clutch all the time, and I usually try to hold down the clutch no more than neccessary during cold starts for the same reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MaxSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MaxSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:36 AM   #12
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

I know I don't drive a VUE, but I always shift into neutral, unless I'm not going to be stopped for long.

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:23 PM   #13
stew32
stew32 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I've got an auto now, but I've always put it in neutral. My left leg would get enough of a workout in the gridlock. I'd also let idle in neutral for 30 seconds or so after a cold start- it made the first few shifts easier than if I didn't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stew32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stew32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread