SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
Menehune
Menehune is on a distinguished road

Default Real story on fuel mileage

Hi, might be a new Redline owner soon and was wondering if anyone could give a real guide to mileage in the Redline.

I have seen people posting with varying amounts, as low as 15mpg and as high as 32mpg. I know drving style will make some difference, but what kind of real numbers would I be looking at. Anybody?

Thanks, Kirt

P.S. One more question, does saturn really do any negotiating? Right now, my dealer and I are stalled. I have told him what i need to be able to pay, and he just sent me a message aout Saturns No hassle No haggle policy. Guess I'll see.

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Menehune's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Menehune reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2004, 01:04 PM   #2
JDRedline
Advanced Member
JDRedline is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
Default Re: Real story on fuel mileage

Please review:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42429

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JDRedline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JDRedline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-15-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

I just brand new 2004 Redline Ione for $15,500 after all the incentives.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2004, 11:09 AM   #4
Tom01SC2
Tom01SC2 is on a distinguished road

I have over 2k miles on my RL now. I've been averaging about 21.5 to 22.5 mpg. That is a cross between city and highway miles... On an all highway tank I got 24.5 mpg. This of course was with the a/c on, going up hill from 1000 ft elevation to over 6k ft. Also had three other people in the car.

Tom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom01SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom01SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2004, 08:48 AM   #5
korax123
korax123 is on a distinguished road

Im almost at 700 miles and my 3rd tank of gas. Car had 160 some mile when i bought it.....prob beat on test drives. Dealer filled her up. And i just put my 2nd fill up myself avgeraged 25mpg. 60% between 55-70mph and 40% city-ish driving meaning regular stop and go i never sit in traffic where i live. I also floored it in the 25mpg i hit 501 miles on the car and hammered it only took it to 5500rpm's. I got a crap load of wheelhop when i shifted into second. BTW i use 94 octane Sunoco gas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to korax123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help korax123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-17-2004, 04:29 PM   #6
Menehune

Good, from what I hear then, the mileage is able to be around at least 23mpg. I think I am sold on it anyway. i drove it last night and will probably pick it up saturday.

Not a hard core sports car, but I would use the word "quick" to describe it. Nice suspension without being overly stiff. I'm a big guy, but still was comfortable in the seats. I don't plan on spending a lot of time in the back seat. But it does have car seat tie downs, which is a bonus for me. Good trunk size. Overall, i am impressed.

Thanks again,Kirt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Menehune reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:32 AM   #7
REDonBLK
REDonBLK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by korax123
Im almost at 700 miles and my 3rd tank of gas. Car had 160 some mile when i bought it.....prob beat on test drives. Dealer filled her up. And i just put my 2nd fill up myself avgeraged 25mpg. 60% between 55-70mph and 40% city-ish driving meaning regular stop and go i never sit in traffic where i live. I also floored it in the 25mpg i hit 501 miles on the car and hammered it only took it to 5500rpm's. I got a crap load of wheelhop when i shifted into second. BTW i use 94 octane Sunoco gas.

Wheel hop in second?

I only have that problem if I try to launch her at too high of RPM's. After I hook up, first to second is VERY smooth. Maybe just a chirp and then I'm gone!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to REDonBLK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help REDonBLK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2004, 01:51 AM   #8
DOHC Brown
DOHC Brown is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDonBLK
Wheel hop in second?

I only have that problem if I try to launch her at too high of RPM's. After I hook up, first to second is VERY smooth. Maybe just a chirp and then I'm gone!!!!!

its easy to wheel hop the 1-2 shift. just shift better.

on good pavement, its sometimes hard to get some spin from the wheels on a launch..even at a fairly high launching RPM. so it will either grab, spin, or hop.

oh yea, into boost a lot= bad mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DOHC Brown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DOHC Brown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:13 PM   #9
lizardking009
lizardking009 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune
Good, from what I hear then, the mileage is able to be around at least 23mpg. I think I am sold on it anyway. i drove it last night and will probably pick it up saturday.
I use a 1/3 tank (4.3 gallons) on the 130 mile trip to my parents' house. That's right around 30mpg at an average 85-95mph. Just make sure you buy ethanol-free gas. Sam's Club and Marathon are ethanol free and seem to give the best mileage out of the brands I have tried.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lizardking009's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lizardking009 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:27 PM   #10
Menehune

That's more good news to hear. It has to be better than the 16mpg I get from my 2000 Z71 Chevy. Most of my driving will be interstate, so that will help some also.

Going to get it in the mornng.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #11
Menehune

WoooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Fuel mileage be damned. Doesn't mean jack if I am driving it just to drive it!!!

Picked it up this morning. First Saturn, and I have to say this was the best car buying experience ever.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2004, 10:59 PM   #12
CSCC 148
CSCC 148 is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the Redline. I'm new here,so I'll chime in. I average about 25 mpg with mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CSCC 148's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CSCC 148 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2004, 02:36 AM   #13
omega13
omega13 is on a distinguished road

All city driving and i get about 16.5 when I have an aggravating work weak and 18 when I have a good weak. By this I mean I don't get too pissed off and beat on the car lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to omega13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help omega13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2004, 03:34 AM   #14
REDonBLK
REDonBLK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCC 148
Congrats on the Redline. I'm new here,so I'll chime in. I average about 25 mpg with mine.

25 mpg is pretty damn good. The way I drive, I usually get 19 at the most.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to REDonBLK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help REDonBLK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:08 AM   #15
CSCC 148
CSCC 148 is on a distinguished road

Post Re: Real story on fuel mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDonBLK
25 mpg is pretty damn good. The way I drive, I usually get 19 at the most.
My commute is mostly highway. I'm sure that has something to do with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CSCC 148's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CSCC 148 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:29 AM   #16
SATRL
SATRL is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My EL is my third Satty, & I'm lovin it. I average 15 to 19 mpg. But I only go 6 mi to & from work. The farthest I might go is about 82 mi to visit in-laws.

Peace!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SATRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SATRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:40 AM   #17
JDRedline
Advanced Member
JDRedline is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATRL
...I average 15 to 19 mpg. But I only go 6 mi to & from work. The farthest I might go is about 82 mi to visit in-laws.

Same story for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JDRedline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JDRedline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread