SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
davesaturn
davesaturn is on a distinguished road

Default Battery Brain: product to prevent battery drain

I recently installed something called a "Battery Brain" on my 1996 ION2. It disconnects the battery when voltage gets too low. for example: if you leave your lights on, BB will preserve enough juice to start the car. It also provides a remote control that disconnects the battery without opening the truck (and cleaning the "stuff" out)

http://www.smgy.net/batterybrain/products/index.html

Its a nice product. The only flaw IMO is the remote control. I don't think it is specific to the car. IOW: each remote control will work on all BBs everywhere. So if this product gets popular, there will be funny moments everywhere. It claims to work only when the car is off, so there shouldn't be a problem driving down the road.

So far, so good...
It doesn't seem to cause any problems,
and the radio keeps its station list, so...
everything is jake

I bought my "BATTERY BRAIN™ GOLD WITH REMOTE (TYPE III)"
for $69 at O'Reilly's Auto Parts
it was easy to install,
except for the part where I touched both
battery terminals with the same vice-grip.
that was fun.

Mental note: rubberise vice-grip.

-------------------------
I'm not a mechanic
or a super hero
I'm just a joe
in a Satern
who don't spell no good

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davesaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davesaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davesaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Battery Brain: product to prevent battery drain

A few things, first of course being that the Ion wasn't even produced in 1996. Second, did you honestly spend $70 on this piece of crap?? It's more than the cost of a new battery!! They have buzzers to tell you your lights are on. Personally, it's never been such a problematic thing for me to be constantly leaving electrical things on in my car and running the battery dead. Whatever floats your boat I guess. I personally see it as a waste of $70. Lastly, that thing on the back of your car (whatever it may be) where you put your spare tire, jack, luggage, etc. is a trunk, not a truck. I shouldn't have to explain the difference there I hope.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Most modern cars will automatically turn lights off after a period of time if left on, even the dome lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
davesaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
A few things, first of course being that the Ion wasn't even produced in 1996. Second, did you honestly spend $70 on this piece of crap?? It's more than the cost of a new battery!! They have buzzers to tell you your lights are on. Personally, it's never been such a problematic thing for me to be constantly leaving electrical things on in my car and running the battery dead. Whatever floats your boat I guess. I personally see it as a waste of $70. Lastly, that thing on the back of your car (whatever it may be) where you put your spare tire, jack, luggage, etc. is a trunk, not a truck. I shouldn't have to explain the difference there I hope.
you are a happy little troll aren't you?

eat your bran

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davesaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaturn View Post
you are a happy little troll aren't you?

eat your bran
Troll? I've been an active member of this forum since 2000. I apologize if you take it personally that I can remember to turn my lights off everytime I get out of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Actually the Ion already has rundown protection as do most, if not all, recent GMs. Not a bad device for older cars though. Beats having to open the hood or trunk to get to a manual switch. Considering that it includes a remote and a switch that must handle hundreds of amps the price isn't that bad. I might actually consider one of those for my Fiat Spyder. The battery is in the trunk which requires a key to open. If you can disconnect and connect the battery with the remote it's effectively an anti-theft. The remote could also be a rolling code like garage door openers virturally eliminating any concern with other people disabling your car.

As for the vise grips, I learned long ago never to use a wrench long enough to reach both battery posts at the same time. If it slips you're in for a heart-stopping experience. Remove the negative first, then shorting the postive to the car won't even hurt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
davesaturn

Quote:
Troll? I've been an active member of this forum since 2000. I apologize if you take it personally that I can remember to turn my lights off everytime I get out of the car.
and I apologize that you take it personally when someone posts something you can't understand the need for. I don't understand the need for you. maybe there is a 12 step group for being you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
and I apologize that you take it personally when someone posts something you can't understand the need for. I don't understand the need for you. maybe there is a 12 step group for being you?
I didn't take anything personally. I gave you my opinion. You're the one who decided to resort to name calling because you disagreed with my opinion. I simply don't have the problem of constantly leaving my lights on, so spending $70 on something like that is a waste to me. You evidently feel different enough to actually post about it. Don't start a post if you can't handle differing opinions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

ion has rundown protection so this thing is useless on it. Plus it costs so much you might as well buy a new battery for that price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #10
davesaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nababbo View Post
ion has rundown protection so this thing is useless on it. Plus it costs so much you might as well buy a new battery for that price.
you say it's useless without owning it

i own it, and say it's useful.

have some prunes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:32 AM   #11
davesaturn

Quote:
I didn't take anything personally. I gave you my opinion. You're the one who decided to resort to name calling because you disagreed with my opinion. I simply don't have the problem of constantly leaving my lights on, so spending $70 on something like that is a waste to me. You evidently feel different enough to actually post about it. Don't start a post if you can't handle differing opinions.
did you just call me a "name caller"?! You're a name calling name caller! Grrr!

being a CERTIFIED car Tech guy/person, you know everything EXCEPT for those things you don't know. you extrapolate passed on prejudice and self serving desire for people to break their car to make you money. I trust dealers like I trust governments. Dealers are whores who live in glass showrooms.

At the least: BB is redundant protection for the battery. Redundant protection is redundant except when it suddenly isn't. That's the point. The BB also provides that nifty key fob to disconnect the battery. Triple cools-ville!

the manufacturer also has something called "THE DEVISOLATOR". Do you have THE DEVISOLATOR? Who couldn't use a DEVISOLATOR? DEVISOLATATION is the key to being a happy car owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #12
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
being a CERTIFIED car Tech guy/person, you know everything EXCEPT for those things you don't know.
I know enough to turn my headlights off without spending $70 for something to tell me to do so, so I guess I'm one step ahead of you already.

Quote:
you extrapolate passed on prejudice and self serving desire for people to break their car to make you money.
Wow, care to make any more ASSumptions about what I do?? People's cars breaking down have little to no effect on me whatsoever since I stopped wrenching about 2 years ago professionally. If all I cared about was people's cars breaking down so I can make money, I wouldn't be here day in and day out handing out free advice now would I??

Quote:
I trust dealers like I trust governments. Dealers are whores who live in glass showrooms.
More name calling. Very creative. Is this how you react everytime someone doesn't agree with you? You must be lovely to work with.

Quote:
At the least: BB is redundant protection for the battery. Redundant protection is redundant except when it suddenly isn't. That's the point. The BB also provides that nifty key fob to disconnect the battery. Triple cools-ville!
Maybe to you, but to me, it's still a waste of money, I would rather throw $70 out the window on the highway than install something on my car to prevent me from being a mindless drone. I know enough to turn my headlights off all by myself, including my classic cars that don't automatically shut off the lights if they're left on. Of course, VW was smart enough to design a vehicle that makes it impossible for the headlights to be on if the key isn't in the ignition. Bottom line is, and I've said it before but you would rather call people names than read what is being said, you bought it, it makes you happy and you think $70 is an ok price to pay for this ridiculous thing. Great. There is more than one person here who disagress with you as to its value. Insteadof taking this like a man, you resort to name calling and whining to try and prove how great a product this is. Does this really need to go on? This argument is completely pointless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #13
froggy81500

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
did you just call me a "name caller"?! You're a name calling name caller! Grrr!

being a CERTIFIED car Tech guy/person, you know everything EXCEPT for those things you don't know. you extrapolate passed on prejudice and self serving desire for people to break their car to make you money. I trust dealers like I trust governments. Dealers are whores who live in glass showrooms.

the manufacturer also has something called "THE DEVISOLATOR". Do you have THE DEVISOLATOR? Who couldn't use a DEVISOLATOR? DEVISOLATATION is the key to being a happy car owner.
You started off showing your ignorance by mentioning a 1996 Ion, which never existed. Can't be a typo because the Ions didn't start production models until 2003. After that, how would you expect anyone to take anything else out of you serioulsly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #14
davesaturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy81500 View Post
You started off showing your ignorance by mentioning a 1996 Ion, which never existed. Can't be a typo because the Ions didn't start production models until 2003. After that, how would you expect anyone to take anything else out of you serioulsly?
Regarding 1996: my previous saturn was a 1996 SL1. I liked that car a lot. It was stolen and burned to little saturn ashes. I'm still used to typing 1996 when I think of saturn. I did that for many years.

besides, this thread isn't/wasn't about the car as much as the device which I was highlighting. Then, suddenly, joe the blow mechanic guy says it's a waist of money without a clue about squat.

I wasn't doing anything but "sharing" info about a device I found valuable. THen the know-it-all with the tude jumps in to feel puffed up. puff yourself foo.

and a ... byte me.

Last edited by davesaturn; 04-12-2008 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: I had accidentally CTRL-P'ed classified government secrets into the message and needed to remove them before Al Kader saw them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #15
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
joe the blow mechanic guy says it's a waist of money without a clue about squat.
I said no such thing. I said it was a waste of money. A waist is that thing you carry around in between your chest and your legs genius. I don't understand why you;re taking this so personally. I simply stated, repeatedly, that I've never been so dimwitted as to constantly need a reminder to turn my lights off when I exit the vehicle. You obviously don't have that luxury so you need to spend $70 for a little device to kill your battery before you do. It's nothing against you or the product. It's my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. You decided to take it personally and are trying to justify any way that you can spending the money on it. I don't care, it's a waste of your money, not mine. I'll continue to turn my lights off when I get out of the car as I always have and save myself $70. That's it, there really is no reason for this to go on any longer is there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
davesaturn

Quote:
... there really is no reason for this to go on any longer is there?
you obviously believe it had to go on because you carried it further.

you use "dimwit" to describe people who leave lights on? It's that kind of attitude that car companies display when they build cars.

after my mother died, I locked myself out of my own car three times in one week. Life is chaos at times and humans are humans. but you are a car jockey. much better than the dimwit porkers that buy the crap you sell.

the ONLY use for technology is to make life better and compensate for human moments of distraction. anything from a battery protection device, thru collision warning radar. but it has to work correctly and be reliable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #17
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
but you are a car jockey. much better than the dimwit porkers that buy the crap you sell.
WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? You obviously like to ASSume a lot about people. I'm a car jockey? In what way? The crap I sell? What exactly is it that I sell?
You have no idea what it is I do for a living, and that is quite obvious from your posts. Can we please be done with this now? Be happy with your product. You bought it. You like it. Fabulous. I don't see the need for it. Can that just about sum it up so we can move on or would you rather resort to more insults to prove your point?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #18
davesaturn

Quote:
... Can that just about sum it up so we can move on or would you rather resort to more insults to prove your point?
so stop posting replys and that will end it. but car guys are about the show, and you can't let anyone else have the last word. show without a motor....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #19
froggy81500

2006 ION-2 Sedan

The BCM's in modern cars already address battery run down protection.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:19 PM   #20
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
you say it's useless without owning it

i own it, and say it's useful.

have some prunes.
good for you. you made a great purchase! congrats on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote